“So bad it's almost funny, beautiful rooms though”
Review of Loft Hotel

Loft Hotel
Ranked #78 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Chicago, Illinois
“So bad it's almost funny, beautiful rooms though”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

It seems that a couple of designers or architects, a couple of years ago (actually 3 years ago I was told) said, "Hey let's make a hotel with really cool, big loft rooms and everyone will want to stay there. Who cares that we know NOTHING about service, the rooms will look cool."
They were partially right, the rooms look very nice but they look like they haven't been cleaned since they were built. Some floors are still vacant and in the midst of stopped construction.
I don't think the photo below of the dirty window view dies it justice. I photographed it because no one normal would believe me if I just told them how dirty it was.

Oh, did I mention ...NO HEAT. when I asked for heat, (39 degrees outside and I was watching TV in a coat) I was told that they could give me another duvee (comforter) for the bed.
They later moved me to floor above the lobby that got some heat rising from there. No one knew anything about turning on the heat and the two absolutely angelic desk girls apologized and said it was too bad they didn't have anyone to call to turn on the furnace. I was able to turn the electric oven on all night and the electric bathroom heater worked, so I never saw my breath.
I would have moved but I had prepaid thru Expedia & the thought of getting a refund from this clearly broke organization was not something I wanted to deal with.
Huge rooms, triple the size of a, say, Marriott and nice dark hardwood floors. But oooops, dark hardwood shows that they haven't been mopped in a long, long time.
You'd think a hotel would have little things like a phone card that explains how to call the desk, nope, you look up the number on google and call the outside line on your phone.
Ask for coffee and coffee filters so the very nice electric coffee maker can be used and the coffee is delivered to the door by one of the desk angels who has to apologize that the HOTEL is out of coffee filters. Really, I'm not making this up.
The breakfast is coffee, juice, yogurt and a couple of tired sweet rolls. I skipped day 2.
I was bummed because I had stayed at the Germaine Dominion in Quebec City (Great Hotel) a few weeks ago with my wife and son and we were agog at the greatness of a "simple" breakfast. We didn't eat a large dinner so we would have room for breakfast. Alas, I was provincial enough to think that all $250 rooms in Quebec came with a great breakfast. Not so at the Loft Hotel. (and the Dominion was $250 for three people, the loft was $250, actually $239 to be fair, for a single.)

Look, the developers had a cool idea but ran out of money. Let's hope they sell to someone who knows how to give service and has the money to pay for it. They overspent on the construction, it's really too bad for them, but it's time to move on. Don't stay there.

Maybe they don't think it's dirty because the Latin Quarter of Montreal where it is located is also surprisingly dirty. I'm from Chicago center city (Old Town) and it makes Chicago look as clean as a city in Switzerland by comparison. Litter and graffiti everywhere and lots of very scruffy young people with fake dreadlocks and pit bulls panhandling on the streets. (However, the panhandlers with pit bulls do make it feel like France.)
EVERYONE smokes and throws their butts on the ground.
Montreal police still allow the squeegee bums to accost your car with spray bottles and squirt your car windshield, so while it feels relatively safe overall, it makes one keep their antennae up for problems.
It may not sound like it, but I had a pretty good time in Montreal at a productive seminar and would consider coming back with my family. However, next time we stay in Old Montreal NOT the Latin Quarter, and n NOT at the Loft Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on Lobby level or higher. The ancient elevator to the lower floors is hardly functional. it'...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Cyril L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I wish I checked the reviews first. The hotel space is very cool and as some of the reviews say, great potential just not realized. We happen to like non-traditional hotels and thought this one would be great-- it's not.

PLUSES: The Internet works well once you connect. Great location.

MINUSES:The rooms are big but not clean and VERY dark. Several of the light bulbs are burned out and when we asked to have then replaced, the front desk kid said maintenance does not come in on the weekends. The shower handle is broken so at times, you cannot turn off the water. The TV doesn't work--just says signal is weak. The breakfast is minimal but not well tended. There was no water to drink and when asked if I could have some water, the lady said no. And the events--don't stay on the 5th floor if noise bothers you--the weddings went on till 1;00am all weekend--we didn't care because we are out late but when checkin in, maybe it should be one of those things you might consider mentioning. And no housekeeping--they never cleaned our room for three days.

CONCLUSION: Don't stay here. For the price, it is not worth it. Maybe one day, they will care enough to manage this place well and make it what it could be which is a great place. Till then, move on.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Walter B

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I booked the room through Hotwire. I read reviews and was a little worried but decided to be open minded. The bad reviews were right on target. The lobby was nice enough but difficult to get in to. There wasn't a ramp of any kind. Just a big step to haul your luggage up. The staff were fairly friendly and tried to be helpful. I had emailed before our trip to let them know we would be travelling with our 1 yr old and asked about a crib and bathtub. We were advised they didn't have cribs but they could give us a room with a sofabed. When we arrived we were given a room with a small fold out couch and no bathtub. The girl tried to change rooms but there were no others available. She then took us down to our room. The hotel had a terrible musty smell. I don't think there is proper air circulation since it's an old warehouse. The elevator was terrifying. It was an old freight elevator that required you to hold the button down for the entire trip up or down as well as to get it to come to your floor. There were cobwebs everywhere in the stairwell. The room was a large open space with a living room, kitchen and bed area as well as a nice sized bathroom and big shower (which was helpful since I had to take my son in there with me due to lack of bathtub). The floors were dirty and dusty and there were cobwebs in the corners. I can't blame the housekeepers as a room that large is tough to maintain as a hotel. There is no cleaning during the stay. We had one garbage can for the entire unit (not even an extra in the bathroom) for a 2 night stay. It started to smell pretty quick considering there were dirty diapers. The bed not being made wasn't a big deal but the garbage should be dealt with. Even leave extra bags so we can do it ourselves. The location wasn't great. It was in the Latin Quarter which was not tourist friendly and was a fair walk from the better downtown area. Overall....not a nice place. The smell alone is reason to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Loft Hotel in Montreal and enjoyed it very much. The rooms are very cool, the staff was extremely helpful, the location was excellent. I ended up using the metro quite a bit which I didn't expect because it was close and the staff was so helpful in helping me find my way around. The only real negative criticism that I would leave is that the towels are very thin and the bathroom could use some sprucing up.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Golden, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2013

First off, this hotel has a ton of potential! great location and really awesome concept. HOWEVER, it is being mismanaged in an epic way. The reception is often manned with what seem like teenagers (attitude, behaviour, appearance) and it is FILTHY. On my first night I mentioned that the hallway looked like it had not been swept in weeks and there was hairballs. The girls at reception giggled about that. 4 days later and guess what???? Still hairballs in hallway. How hard would it be for them to get a broom and sweep!?!?!? On my last evening I asked reception some questions and she was eating McDonalds right on the desk while she spoke with me. SO UNPROFESSIONAL! My room was only cleaned ONCE on the first day I was there. There was what appeared to be semen stains on the couch and it was disgusting. I left a note to clean it up and the note was still there in my room upon check out (since no one had cleaned in 3 days). Overall, this hotel was a giant disappointment and I won't stay here on my next trip. It was DIRTY and highly overrated. I would seriously recommend people look to the Hotel Kutuma if they are looking for a pleasing boutique hotel experience (they were full on my stay so I tried The Loft instead). The Loft Hotel falls short in a BIG way:(

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Loft Hotel for one night. We were very impressed by the room, location, and staff. However, we were there on a Saturday night and there was a large wedding taking place in the ballroom right down the hall. It was extremely loud. The music and people made it impossible to sleep. At midnight we called the front desk and they were very accommodating and moved us to a room on the main floor. Although they were helpful, we were still upset about the inconvenience. If you stay there, make sure you request a room that is not near one of the ballrooms or make sure there are no events going on.

Stayed September 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The hotel has huge rooms as they are apartment/lofts. No restaurant, room service, gym yet prices that reflect other high end hotels that do. The towels were small and only 2, shower leaked, and bathroom is tiny.Not sure how they stay in business as everyone was complaining upon check out. If you want to spend a lot of money for nothing - this is the place for you.
Montreal is a great city with many many better hotels for the same or less $.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple