Shezelles
  • Pool
US$209
US$197
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmaple syrupminute walkbed and breakfastmetro stationexcellent locationstayed nightsmont royalold montreallucielyneskylightplateauhostsamenities
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed in the studio downstairs at Shézelles over Memorial Day weekend 2012, with our 1-year-old and our 3-year-old. We really enjoyed being able to come and go as we pleased, bathe the kids, and make breakfast, bottles and snacks in the kitchenette. We even found convenient parking at the nearby elementary school. The location can't be beat: it's the best of the Plateau within easy walking distance, but without the noise and bustle of being right on Rue Saint-Denis or Avenue Mont-Royal. The hostesses were nothing but accomodating and helpful. It was a really nice time for the family, and our 3-year-old looked forward to getting back "home" and even called the studio "the bed house" (la maison du lit). We would definitely try to book at Shézelles again when we return to Montréal.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I have to agree with a similar poster, and have mixed feelings about this place. My husband and I were there in early July. Great neighborhood, great breakfasts, pleasant little outdoor terrace.

But our (small) room at the front of the house had no air. It was a very hot few days, the window barely opened. Ceiling fan did not help much. I also must say I found the proprietor somewhat prickly. Interesting lady, but not especially friendly, seemed in a bad mood throughout our stay. Maybe it was the heat? We will not go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marleymillie
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My wife and I had such an incredible time at this b&b!!! -- the hosts are wonderful and very helpful, plus the breakfasts were so tasty. Our room was on the top, top floor in this cool penthouse suite with a private balcony. you're right in the middle of the plateau where all the best restaurants, clubs, and shops are located within minutes of walking. We're recommending it to all of our friends! I don't see how anyone could complain about this place -- Montreal has such a fun and relaxed vibe to it and Shezelles embodies this spirit. We'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We arrived without a booking and were lucky to find one room available! Lyne and Lucy have been lovely and warmly welcomed us "home". The whole house, including the rooms, are very nicely decorated. It is very sunny, spatious and clean. The wood as a material gives a very warm feeling. The nice little balcony over the backyard definitely adds to the homy and quiet sensation. The breakfast was served at 9pm and oh my God! Delicious, with vegetarian friendly and organic quality food. Everyone was gathered around the large wooden table while Lyne served breakfast and ate with us. So this is not a "hotel" or "big guesthouse" with anonymous staff and service : this is a home, with real people inside.
This is a really good value. You are at the heart of the Plateau and ridiculously close to the metro station. So I would indeed recommend to book prior to arrival and don't hesitate to write them to make arrangements as to when you arrive and how.

Thank you again Lyne and Lucie for this last good memory of Montréal :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CarrieAudrey
Reviewed 18 July 2011

It was a good stay, it was a bad stay...When I arrived, my room was not ready. After a 12 hour travel day, I had to wait an hour to get to my room. Next, I was put into a different room than was on my reservation. I was told in my confirmation that I would be in the "skylight" room. Well it was already taken. The owner stuck me on a roof top room, which had no air save for a small fan. I was told that this room was built on the roof and let me tell you, you could tell. It was July and probably 100 degrees in that room in the afternoon. I got up early to travel around town Saturday and came back at noon for a relaxing nap. There was no relaxing. I laid down in my bed and sweat just rolled off me. And it did not cool off much in the evening. Also I would have left the windows open all day to get air, but was advised against leaving them open if I was to be gone.

So that was the bad? Now for the good. The breakfasts are wonderful and the place is in the best location. I just would have to think twice about staying there again. There wasn't really anyone around to ask for service except in the mornings. I just can't say it was worth being that miserable and getting no sleep because of the heat for $80.

The morning I left, I saw another patron sleeping on the deck. It was so hot.

Room Tip: Ask for an additional fan if you are traveling in the summer.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo