“Gluten-free muffins and bread reserved for me”

Chateau de l'Argoat
Ranked #58 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Lovely hotel and friendly, informative staff, in a very convenient location just around the corner from the Sherbrooke metro station, and only a couple of blocks away from the bus station where you can catch the 747 Express bus to the airport. I had emailed the hotel about 3 days before our arrival, asking about their continental breakfast, and received a reassuring email back that gluten-free items would be brought in for me. Very understanding. Our room was beautiful--high ceilings, chandelier, wood floor, wedgwood green walls with white trim, green and white ceramic tile bathroom, whirlpool tub, air conditioning---you get the idea! We had a 4-night stay there earlier this month, and it's definitely the place we will book the next time we go to Montreal.

1  Thank Hilda S

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights here, and really enjoyed the ambiance of a historical hotel which was also conveniently located near the Subway and lots of restaurants in the eclectic.ethnic Latin Quarter. It reminded us of places we've stayed in Europe.
There was free parking in back, and we never needed the car during the stay, since we used the Subway and/or walked to get around. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and gave us suggestions where to go and what to see. Beware that there is no elevator, and many of the rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floors. We had a long walk up and down with luggage to the 3rd floor on a winding staircase. Everything was clean, and well cared for considering the age of the building. The AC was good, and there's free Wifi. Decor was attractive and colorful with art works throughout, lots of woodwork trim and high ceilings.
The firm bed was very comfortable with quality linens but flat pillows. There was a large jetted tub in the bathroom and separate shower. Unfortunately the tub, which we didn't use, takes up much of the bathroom space, and the shower is tiny. Although on a main street, the room was quiet and we heard no street noise.
Breakfast consisted of muffins, bagels, toast, yogurt, fruit, coffee and tea. Unfortunately there was nothing with protein.
We would probably stay here again if in Montreal due to the good location, staff, and price.

Room Tip: Choose a room knowing there is no elevator, and lots of stairs to climb.
4  Thank colt123
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We spent a weekend for the Jazz fest, and this is the third year we are coming here because of the good location and the very nice people. This is a small hotel in a very good location, walking distance to downtown. The staff is very polite and helpful, making you feel like home. The rooms are very clean, nice and warm, welcoming atmosphere. The bathroom is a bit small but it depends of the room location.
Breakfast is good, enough to start your day.
I definitely recommend Chateau de L'argoat.

1  Thank DianaDen
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend and couldn't have loved it more. The staff was incredibly nice and very accommodating. The people working the front desk would seemingly bend over backwards to make your stay a happy one. The rooms were small, but were warm, comfortable, and clean. It is very close to a metro stop and the bus that takes you to and from the airport. We will absolutely stay here the next time we visit Montreal!

1  Thank TravelsWithAandR
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

We will surely return here on our next visit to Montreal. Spacious rooms (2 bed, normal bath) friendly and accommodating staff. Across the road from the subway. Up the road from the Latin quarter an the village not far away either

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We had a great room - #7 - with 2 large bedrooms and a whirlpool bath. Very nicely decorated and comfortable. This B & B is in a very good location, near the Plateau, walking distance to many restaurants and to downtown, and also close to the Metro.

The breakfast is fine - croissants, yogurt, juice, coffee.

My complaint is with the parking situation. They do offer parking but it is very tight and because of that they are very vigilent about where you park and they take your keys so they can move cars as needed as guests come and go. That is fine but I found the situation oppressive. At one point I had retrieved my keys to put things in my car and ended up moving it so another guest could get her car out. When I walked back into the hotel, the woman at the desk was very distressed that she could not find me. She asked me why they had not had my keys. I'm not sure if it was a language issue, but she seemed to not understand that she had not had my keys because I was at my car, and I felt like I was being reprimanded.

I would stay here again but don't think I would want to bring my car.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank joduhl
Reviewed 30 April 2013

A friend and I stayed at Chateau de l'Argoat for 4 days, 3 nights.

This was our first trip to Montreal and were looking to stay at a private hotel, with some character and that's what we got. The rooms are small-average size, a wee bit tight for two people, but not too small that it changed our trip in anyway.

We had a double bed to share, which was a bit small, but comfortable. The room had a TV, a large armoire and bedside tables. The bathoom was tiny, but totally fine. Overall the room was very clean. Parking was tricky, they have a small lot behind the hotel and double park the cars, so you need to leave your keys at the desk, didn't really matter to us since we used transit the whole trip.

While the location is a Metro trip to downtown, it is right on the Metro line which made getting places very easy. It was close to several attractions, including Old Montreal which made it perfect.

I would recommend staying here to anyone. I forgot my winter coat and they're holding onto it for me until I return in the summer - if that doesn't describe their customer service, I don't know what does.

My friend and I are planning to visit again this summer!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends