“From a 24 year old's view- Wonderful Hotel”
Review of Chateau Versailles

Chateau Versailles
Ranked #75 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My partner and I were in town to see U2 in concert. I knew the trip would cost a little bit of money so I took a chance and used Priceline.com for the first time in my life and put in a $100 bid. The Chateau Versailles accepted and for weeks, I was agonizing over the decision: will it be close enough to downtown? Will we be away from all the action?

We were both astounded at the location- you are only minutes away from Crescent Street and St. Catherine, the two streets that are notorious if you want to have a good time...and trust me they live up to their reputation. You are also a 2 minute walk from the Guy-Concordia Metro as well. Yes, you do have to pay for parking- but we didn't use the hotel parking lot, instead we used the parking lot just up the street from the Hotel (it's across from the Regency and overlooks a football field) and we only paid $12 a night. I thought it was a great and safe parking lot- I drive a 2006 Toyota Rav4 and the car was just as good as I left it.

We stayed in Room 122 where we received a standard bed which was comfortable enough for two people to sleep in. The whole hotel has a very romantic atmosphere which makes the stay very enjoyable. Let's just say this: it's the only hotel I've stayed in that provided an intimacy kit. We were right next to the exercise room and saunas but we were so busy with our weekend that we did not get a chance to use it. As a young couple who likes to have a good night out, we arrived during the last 20 minutes of the free continental breakfast and were still served well. You will find cottage cheese, yogurt, croissants, chocolate croissants, cereal, granola, assorted cheeses (including my favorite- brie!), cold cuts, bread, wonderful fruit juices, and very fresh fruit- my partner and I take our fruit very seriously (we're dorks) and those had to be some of the best apples I've tasted. The coffee isn't that bad either!

Now- I've got to say- the staff was incredible. Stephanie made us feel so welcome and was full of suggestions about where to go out in the city. Anytime we needed help with anything- places to see in the city, any question with our room- they were so quick to help us. They even let us use the fire exit when we checked out so we could easily take our bikes back to our car! We enjoyed the city of Montreal so much that even hours after we checked out and realized we forgot to print out directions back home (word to the wise: Verizon will charge you like crazy if you attempt to use your smartphone data plan outside the US, so you can't rely on your GoogleMaps app), Stephanie let us go back into the hotel's computer lab so we could print out directions back home.

I've got to say- I don't know when I will be back in Montreal (I hope it's soon though!) but I would definitely stay in the Chateau Versailles again. Great location, great food, and great staff- you simply cannot beat it if you're looking for a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
YanickB, Director of Sales at Chateau Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear Guests,

Thank you for the great review. We especially appreciate hearing about our staff being great.

Hope the U2 concert lived up to your expectations. Looking forward to your next stay.

FYI, I don't know about your cell phone company, but mine sells packages for a flat fee that allow you for a certain amount of roaming and long distance fees included. I save a bundle by subscribing to one when I go to the US.

See you again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

Big room, nice european style breakfast, comfortable (but quite firm) bed. The service was very attentive. Gym consists of one treadmill that squealed so loudly it was essentially unuseable, plus one bike. Very close to the art museum, but quite far from most other destinations. Also be warned, not at all accessible for people with limited mobility-- a criticism I'd extend to most of Montreal, in general. If you don't get around well, choose another city to visit!

• Stayed: June 2011
YanickB, Director of Sales at Chateau Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Dear Guest,

We totally agree our property (a 100 year old Victorian Style building) is not the greatest if you have limited mobility.

We will fix the treadmill, thanks for bringing this up to our attention.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay nevertheless.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

If you have never been to a European city, Montreal is a fantastic stepping stone holiday spot for Americans, and the Chateau Versailles is a great place to stay. The hotel is pretty easy to get to and is located directly on Rue Sherbrooke which is a main street in the city. There are great restaurants within a 15 minute walk, it is only a stroll to McGill University, and even closer to the Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal. There is a charge for parking, but so does everywhere in the heart of a city and the fee is not at all unreasonable and the valet was quick and friendly. The continental breakfast is delish &, well, quite continental, and our room was neat, clean and comfortable - The photos on their website are certainly accurate. And most of all, the staff was helpful, polite and always had a genuine smile with a bonjour or bonsoir. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Check their website for multi-night stay prices.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Merci beaucoup pour vos excellents commentaires! Stepping stone to Europe has been sort of a selling pitch from our Tourism Bureau for years! I have also heard it is sort of a cross between Paris-New Orleans-New York.

Let us know if you agree.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed at the Chateau Versailles in April for two nights in Montreal. The hotel has been around for many years and I have stayed there before. The rooms are tired and the carpets are threadbare in spots. The bedspreads were also a little funky as they felt "old" as did the old balled wool blankets. Plumbing needs upgrading too as the shower could not get to a reasonable temperature. The location was perfect and the free breakfast a good perk. For the price we paid I felt the value was good, but for the this beautiful hotel to really shine, they need to at least paint and change the carpets/drapes and bedding. I will hesitate to stay there again unless I get the same ridiculously low price that I got last time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GloberunnerNYC

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We have a lot of new things coming to update the property. One the things is that we are getting new bedspreads (they should arrive within the next couple of weeks).

Lots of updates will be coming, as part of our 100th anniversary celebration that is taking place this year.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here for 3 days in early June 2011 on a trip to Montreal. I didn't actually realize until after we arrived that the hotel is apparently owned by Le Meridian. The hotel itself is quite charming - when you walk up to it from the street it has kind of an old world charm and a staircase leading up to the front door. The lobby is small but the hotel itself isn't terribly large so that's not unexpected. It actually looks more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel owned by a large conglomerate - a fact I personally liked. The decor made me think more of someone's comfortable home than a hotel. The hotel staffer who greeted us was very accomodating, offering suggestions on places to eat, sights to see, etc. There isn't a concierge but the front desk staff does the job. All of the staff I encountered spoke both English and French quite well (thank goodness because my french isn't exactly oustanding!). The hotel is 4 floors but....it has no elevator. The front desk staff offered to have someone help us up the stairs but we opted to do it ourselves since there we were only on the 4th floor (the lobby is actually on the second floor so it was only two flights). When we first arrived I thought the stairs wouldn't be a big deal and they weren't a problem per say but I have to admit that after walking around Montreal all day in the hot sun, I was tired at the end of the day and wishing for an elevator (but goodness knows I need the exercise).
The room itself was nice - painted a warm orange with tasteful decorations and art. We had a queen size bed; the bathroom had a shower/tub combo and was lighty and airy feeling. Our room had a window overlooking the street but noise wasn't really a problem. The curtains were 'blackout' curtains but we did still find the room was a little bright in the mornings when the sun came out, even with closed curtains. If you are affected by light, I'd recommend bringing a sleep mask. The room had a safe, mini bar, the standards. The room also had a TV with local channels and move purchase options. The room did have air conditioning but I found it to still be a little warm, even on the coolest setting. It wasn't unbearable by any means but I did notice it at times. This could have been also because we were on the top floor - and the city was quite hot (in the 80's) the whole time we were there. There is no room service but there is a very good buffet style breakfast served every morning. It had frittatta, boiled eggs, assorted meats and cheeses, fruit, yogurt, croissants and other pastries, tea, coffee, juice, etc. The buffet comes with every room, per the front desk staff, so that's a nice plus in an expensive city.
The hotel is situated right in downtown so it's very convenient for getting to everything. There are a number of restaurants and bistros in the area, plus there are two convenience stores within two blocks. The Guy-Concordia Metro station is two blocks away so that's the best stop to use for this hotel if you are taking public transport. The hotel offers free internet but there is also a computer and printer on the main floor if you don't bring a laptop.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms facing the street get a lot of sun.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bnj2377

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comments. I think I really like your take on things: There are no elevators, but it is a great opportunity to exercise. We will use this one for sure!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon at the hotel.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I just returned from the Chateau Versailles and found it a perfectly adequate hotel for business purposes. It's got a terrific location, close to McGill and the Fine Arts Museum, and the staff are particularly helpful.

The rooms are a bit dated--I had to laugh that my alarm clock included a CD player, but no place to plug in my iPhone--but the Wifi is free and reliable. I also thought breakfast was nice, and in included strong coffee!

I think there are rooms with nice views, but mine on the 3rd floor was street level in the back of the hotel and I could see/hear people walking by. Do keep your curtains closed for privacy! Happily, it was never noisy or disruptive.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor, if you can get it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guests,

Thanks for the head's up about the I-Phone connection. We are definitely working on that.

We have lots of different room types and views available to cater to everyone's tastes. I guess it comes with the territory (we are celebrating our hotel's 100th anniversary this year).

Let us know what you like, we'll do our best to accomodate.

Reviewed 8 June 2011

Great rates...Clean...friendly staff...computer and internet access...good breakfast...ten out of ten!!

Room Tip: No elevators...so must be able to walk up stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for recommending our property. Ten out of ten is pretty fantastic!

Thanks for pointing out there are no elevators in our 3 stories hotel. Guests who are not confortable with stairs should definitely be aware, we agree.