“Excellent choice!”

Ranked #63 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Thunder Bay
“Excellent choice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed at the Chateau for 3 nights in early February. The quaint hotel has 2 sections (from the outside it gave an appearance of co-joined older mansions) in the old building where we stayed. Across the street was the newer, sister hotel that had a fine dining Italian restaurant.

Our room was on the same side of the building as the reception desk. We had a 3rd floor room with a bay window facing the street and a king bed. The room was large, welcoming, bright, decorated nicely and had a very comfortable king bed with glorious pillows and a large bathroom. We were extremely pleased with the accommodations - there was even a turn down service with chocolates!

The staff were friendly and unimposing; would happily call a cab for you and provide a map with directions and recommendations for restaurants. The hotel was in a fabulous location right down town with excellent shopping. However it was a goodly walk to 'old Montreal' (30 to 40 minutes). The subway was a short 5 minute walk away.

Although the hotel did not have a restaurant, there was an excellent buffet with cold cereals, juices, yogurt, fresh and dried fruits, croissants etc. and excellent coffee. They also had afternoon tea and treats available every day. There was a small but well equipped exercise room and a sauna.

I would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Morjohn
MassimoLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest,

This was a great way to start a day! Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your stay with us at the Chateau Versailles, it was a pleasure to read. We truly appreciate your kind words regarding the property, staff, rooms, location and amenities. We hope to see you in the near future and welcome you back with open arms.

Have a great day!

Massimo Urzillo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I've been a fan of this charming hotel for many years, first was a guest 28 years ago….This place is sorely lacking some TLC….I was originally in a front suite with fireplace, bay windows and King bed, the street noise from Sherbrooke was so loud that I got very little sleep. I changed to a smaller room on the inside of the building, it was a bit quieter, but very drafty. Throughout the night I could hear people coming and going. The building itself needs repair, paint chipping and grout replacement in bathrooms needed. Overall I am sad to give this review, but won't stay there again for the reasons noted. The staff however were as always most lovely, helpful and the breakfast served in the lounge is perfect!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Catherine M
Dear Ms. Catherine,

Firstly, I would like to truly apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay. As noted we are an older property, we do pride ourselves in our historical charm. We continuously up keep the hotel, but within the near future bigger and better changes will occur. I welcome you back in the future, to enjoy everything we have to offer! Please contact me directly prior to your arrival, I will ensure everything is up to par. If you have any further questions or inquiries, please contact me!

St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel should really be above average but given my most recent stay this is all I can rate it. There are many positives about this property. It does have an old world charm and the artwork, breakfast area and the lobby/sitting area are very nice and unique. The staff are excellent. There are however a few negatives. Up keep of a building of this age can be a problem and it is showing in some of the rooms. On my most recent stay (have stayed here a few times) the ceiling paint was peeling in my room and really bad in the shower. All the rooms are different at this hotel which can be nice but also means you can get a very cramped room for the same price as you collegue who may have a much nicer room, also try and stay out of the basement rooms. Finally noise can be a factor, you will hear the people above you and hall noise in some rooms. This property really needs some TLC and deserves better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NLtrout
MassimoLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we value all of our guest feedback in order to improve our services. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the historical charm, continental breakfast and friendly staff. Our property is over 100 years old and we are in the process of improving certain aspects of the building. I hope that you will return to see these positive changes in the future. If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to contact me directly. Have a great day!

Honey Harbour, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I arrived on a bitterly cold January afternoon. Within minutes of pulling up at the curb our bag had been whisked inside by an affable doorman and a few minutes later we were shown to our small comfortable room on the 3rd floor. This hotel is very much like a small intimate European hotel which is what we were looking for. The bed was comfortable, the heating was quiet and the staff were friendly and helpful. When we left the following morning our car which had been parked next to the hotel had been warmed up and our bag placed inside by the time we finished checking out - great service. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write this delightful review about your experience with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the charm and service of our property that we pride ourselves in. We hope to see you in the near future!

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I was in Montreal for an interview and stayed here for 1 night in room 314. The hotel is extremely old and they have done a very amateur job of maintaining it. The night stand had this weird metal contraption glued onto the surface of it so that the clock radio sits on it and swivels (see picture). The door to the bathroom has about 1 inch of space between it and the door frame. You cannot control the heat in the individual rooms (it is currently -20C here). I called the front desk to inquire about the heating situation and 10 minutes later, a maintenance guy dressed in blue coveralls and smelling of smoke comes to give me a little fan space heater that looks like you can get from Walmart for $10. There are very old radiators in the room but do not work. There is no light in the closet, which is extremely dark.

The worst part of the room though was the ceiling. There was extremely loud creaking noises every time the person above me would move!!! From midnight to about 5:45 AM, this person got up twice to use the bathroom (I am assuming). They were then up and constantly moving around from 5:45 until 7 AM when breakfast was served downstairs. I got a solid 3 hours of sleep the night before a very important interview.

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had and highly recommend staying away from this "hotel"!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room on the top floor so you don't have to listen to each loud...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Zoe K
MassimoLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this time to apologize for not meeting your expectation during your stay with us. Our property has been in existence for over 100 years, providing our guest with some historical charm and tranquility. We have maintained the property throughout the years, but there are some aspects that are out of our control unfortunately. In regards to the maintenance issues, I have informed my Director of Maintenance who will personally rectify the situation.

Please feel free to contact me directly in the future.

stigs17
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

If you are looking for a throwback to simpler times with personalized service, this is a great choice.

Pros:
+ Wonderfully-trained employees, from the doorman, to check-in, to housekeeping, to check-out
+ Comfortable bed
+ Old heating unit was quite responsive and relatively quiet
+ Rooms offer a nice mix of old-world decor with the benefit of modern amenities (flat screen TV with ~50 channels, minibar, robe, comfortable evening chair, CD alarm clock, Keurig coffee, proper rocks/wine glasses, ample lighting, safe, even an umbrella - nice touch)
+ Renovated, well-lit bathroom with a modern sink basin with hot water within seconds
+ Plush towels and quality toiletries
+ Every room is a bit different, mine had a large walk-in closet
+ Nicely located in the art quarter with fine dining and unique shops within a short walk
+ Breakfast included in the reasonable rates

Cons:
- The walls are thin, so expect to hear neighboring plumbing (I would suggest bringing earplugs)
- In the frigid cold, bed could use another blanket (two thin sheets and an old comforter is ideal for summer, not in winter) and four pillows instead of the two provided
- Toilet a little low and one had to lean slightly forward given the shelf sticking out above the lid. Lacks flushing pressure - had to hold lever down 15 seconds for each flush
- No in-room hotel guide (breakfast hours, ice machine location, channel guide etc...would also be nice to have a personalized list of recommended local restaurants, galleries etc.)
- For the business traveler, the room lacked a proper work desk area or work chair

Note:
At check-in, note that you are on floor 2 of 4 floors (all accessed via stairs). As an older building, expect the floor to creak beneath you as you walk. A neat part of the historical experience.

Overall, a very pleasant stay. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
MassimoLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review, your feedback is valued. I will pass on your kind messages regarding the service to all staff, they will appreciate the positive comments. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the historical charm of the hotel. We have also tried to make updates in order to keep up with the times, but not take away from the historical beauty. That being said the hotel is over 100 years old, I apologize for the noise interference. I have also advised the Director of Housekeeping about adding an extra blanket into the rooms. Upon your next stay with us, please feel free to ask us for a room with a desk or an extra blanket. It would be our pleasure to assists you, in order to make your stay with us extremely pleasurable. We hope to see you in the near future.

Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

The place is cute and charming. $27 is far too much for parking though, even valet parking. The hotel will tell you to park in a surface lot for $20. I still think $27 is too much, especially taking into consideration a tip for the valet. We asked for menus for local restaurants and had to ask again. Then we had to go get a menu personally even though the desk clerk said he would bring them, he never turned up. The room was fine but carpets in urgent need of replacing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
SandieLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback on your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the historical charm of our hotel. In regards to parking downtown, unfortunately due to the scarce amount of lots, all companies are charging a minimum rate for valet. There other alternatives, such as street parking, although they too become expensive. If there is anything else we can do for your next stay with us, please feel free to contact us directly. We hope to see you in the future.

Have a great day!