“Comfortable, great location, but no soundproofing!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau Versailles

Chateau Versailles
Ranked #62 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Victoria
“Comfortable, great location, but no soundproofing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The room was a bit small but more than adequate and comfortable for a solo traveler. The bathroom was very spacious. Both room and bathroom looked recently updated. Reception was most welcoming and helpful (I think her name was Joanne). I had only a small overnight case, so walking up to the top floor was not a big deal, but may be for guests with more luggage as there's no elevator. The included breakfast was more than adequate. There's a computer and printer for checking in and printing boarding passes. The only problem is the thin walls and the misfortune to have a guest in the next room who seemed to be always in his room and always on the phone. I could hear every word spoken. Other reviewers have mentioned the lack of soundproofing. I wouldn't stay here again, given the noise issue.

Room Tip: I was on the top floor so street noise wasn't bad but noise from neighboring rooms was bad. Not...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Guelph
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

A stylish old-fashioned place to stay where breakfast is served in a dining salon while classical music is playing softly on the speakers in the background. The breakfast was good and we could enjoy it on little round tables with very comfortable upholstered chairs, or else we could choose the couches and coffee tables. The daily French and English newspapers were available.
Our room was large with a king-sized bed and a fireplace. It was clean and quiet. Our room had a very large window, but unfortunately, we looked out onto a small, untidy courtyard.
I used the small work-out room every morning and there was a sauna attached. There were always clean towels available.
Located in the museum section of town, we walked to many attractions like the Musee des Beaux-Arts or to many restaurants.

Room Tip: The front rooms had a better view, but the street is busy and so it might be noisier there.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is a fine hotel. The rooms are decent with modern and/or theme appropriate decor. The staff is friendly and helpful. Overall, it would be among the best in Montreal except for a crucial but damning fault. There is no soundproofing. You can hear everything from just about anywhere in the hotel. I had to call the front desk at 0200 to ask the man on duty to quiet down when chatting with his girlfriend on the phone. It was so loud it woke me up. Worse -- a roomful for young ladies came back from the bat at 0330. They are certainly not to be faulted, Montreal nightlife is fantastic, but from the moment they arrived at the front door until they finally passed out I had to endure every sound -- and there were many.

Its a decent hotel, and if you get a deal, worth taking. Just bring some earplugs.

Room Tip: Stay away from anything near the front desk. Very loud and disruptive.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I was in Montreal for a two day business trip, and it was arranged for me to stay at the Chateau Versailles. I found the staff to be extremely friendly, and very helpful in making my stay as comfortable as possible. The room was clean, and tasteful. The internet service, which is free, worked very well. Given that it was a busy two days for me, I appreciated the included breakfast--which was a very simple serve-yourself set up--because it was quick and just what I needed to get started on my day.

I would happily stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
MassimoLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,

What a pleasure reading this review this morning, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us for the quick 2 days. I will be passing on your kind words to the staff. We all hope that you will return in the near future, hopefully for leisure, and enjoy your time with us and also within Montreal. Have a great day!

Thunder Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed at the Chateau for 3 nights in early February. The quaint hotel has 2 sections (from the outside it gave an appearance of co-joined older mansions) in the old building where we stayed. Across the street was the newer, sister hotel that had a fine dining Italian restaurant.

Our room was on the same side of the building as the reception desk. We had a 3rd floor room with a bay window facing the street and a king bed. The room was large, welcoming, bright, decorated nicely and had a very comfortable king bed with glorious pillows and a large bathroom. We were extremely pleased with the accommodations - there was even a turn down service with chocolates!

The staff were friendly and unimposing; would happily call a cab for you and provide a map with directions and recommendations for restaurants. The hotel was in a fabulous location right down town with excellent shopping. However it was a goodly walk to 'old Montreal' (30 to 40 minutes). The subway was a short 5 minute walk away.

Although the hotel did not have a restaurant, there was an excellent buffet with cold cereals, juices, yogurt, fresh and dried fruits, croissants etc. and excellent coffee. They also had afternoon tea and treats available every day. There was a small but well equipped exercise room and a sauna.

I would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Morjohn
MassimoLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Guest,

This was a great way to start a day! Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your stay with us at the Chateau Versailles, it was a pleasure to read. We truly appreciate your kind words regarding the property, staff, rooms, location and amenities. We hope to see you in the near future and welcome you back with open arms.

Have a great day!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I've been a fan of this charming hotel for many years, first was a guest 28 years ago….This place is sorely lacking some TLC….I was originally in a front suite with fireplace, bay windows and King bed, the street noise from Sherbrooke was so loud that I got very little sleep. I changed to a smaller room on the inside of the building, it was a bit quieter, but very drafty. Throughout the night I could hear people coming and going. The building itself needs repair, paint chipping and grout replacement in bathrooms needed. Overall I am sad to give this review, but won't stay there again for the reasons noted. The staff however were as always most lovely, helpful and the breakfast served in the lounge is perfect!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Catherine M
Dear Ms. Catherine,

Firstly, I would like to truly apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay. As noted we are an older property, we do pride ourselves in our historical charm. We continuously up keep the hotel, but within the near future bigger and better changes will occur. I welcome you back in the future, to enjoy everything we have to offer! Please contact me directly prior to your arrival, I will ensure everything is up to par. If you have any further questions or inquiries, please contact me!

St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel should really be above average but given my most recent stay this is all I can rate it. There are many positives about this property. It does have an old world charm and the artwork, breakfast area and the lobby/sitting area are very nice and unique. The staff are excellent. There are however a few negatives. Up keep of a building of this age can be a problem and it is showing in some of the rooms. On my most recent stay (have stayed here a few times) the ceiling paint was peeling in my room and really bad in the shower. All the rooms are different at this hotel which can be nice but also means you can get a very cramped room for the same price as you collegue who may have a much nicer room, also try and stay out of the basement rooms. Finally noise can be a factor, you will hear the people above you and hall noise in some rooms. This property really needs some TLC and deserves better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NLtrout
MassimoLeMeridien, General Manager at Chateau Versailles, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we value all of our guest feedback in order to improve our services. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the historical charm, continental breakfast and friendly staff. Our property is over 100 years old and we are in the process of improving certain aspects of the building. I hope that you will return to see these positive changes in the future. If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to contact me directly. Have a great day!