“unprofessional stuff, noisy hotel, 2stars”
Review of Chateau Versailles

Chateau Versailles
Ranked #64 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed two nights in this hotel. When I arrived I got the small room without the minibar that was specified in the description. I asked for the room change and the employee called Janyck (who was even not aware that the full minibar fridge is missing in the room) told me that he will come back to me as soon as possible because he has a lot of work to do. Something that already shows his level of professionalism. Of course, I had to call back and hopefully there was a nice lady to reply. I got the new room with a minibar but with the blocked window. According to Mr. Janyck some windows could be opened, some not since they can be easily broken. So they decide to simply block opening the window. The "4 stars" hotel. The worst experience is the credit card charge. Immediately upon my arrival I gave a notice about the cash payment preference. The same employee, Mr. Janyck, told me that there is no problem, and that my credit card is needed just for a guarantee. This is option that I have chosen by booking through booking.com The night before leaving I wanted to do the check out since I had a train at 6am and Mr. Janyck told me that the check out is very fast and that I can easily do it in the morning. Once more I clearly state that I do not want that my credit card is charged, that I would like to pay in cash. Again, the employee Janyck answer me that there is no problem. In the morning my credit card was already fully charged. Of course Mr. Janyck was not there.
Concerning the hotel: The rooms are small, the bed is quite small, mini bar is poor, the window cannot be opened. Most of the rooms look at the street and in the night and morning there is quite a lot of noise. The hotel has neither restaurant nor lobby with a bar.
The employees are not business oriented and not professional. Although they are smiling all the time.
Overall, the hotel doesn't deserve 4 stars at all. In most of European countries it would be rated with 2 stars.
Elena, Switzerland

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Elena S
There are newer reviews for Chateau Versailles

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I spent a total of 10 days in December and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this hotel. I stayed on the second floor facing the street. The room was big, clean, and very comfortable. same goes for the bathroom. The breakfast was quite ample with a choice of cereals, cheese platter, protein platter, hard boiled eggs and diverse pastries. it's just what you need!
The hotel is located a few steps away from a metro station and walking distance to downtown.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First off, if you don't like dragging your luggage up flights of stairs, this place is not for you. But if that's not a big deal then this is a great place to stay. It's very convenient to a lot of great museums, restaurants and shopping. However, to get to Vieux-Montreal, you'll need to take a cab or the bus (both available outside the front door). The staff is very helpful, and mostly friendly. The rooms are spacious, quiet and clean. Bathrooms are on the small side, but are clean. Only one person can get ready at a time, the only mirror being inside the bathroom. No refrigerator or microwave for your use, but a mini-bar is stashed inside a bedside table. Breakfast is the usual breads/rolls, cereals, yogurts with the addition of a meat/cheese platter. There is a small gym on sight with a sauna. Very small, very basic. No pool.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

If you are looking for modern, upscale accommodations, this hotel isn't for you. If you love history, architecture, and a home like atmosphere, you've found your home. Our room was spacious and clean but a little dated. The front desk was very accommodating in helping us with questions. The location is superb. We arrived late by train and took a cab to the hotel since we weren't sure where we were going. After that we walked EVERYWHERE. The art museum, many chain, and local ethnic restaurants, the underground city, old city, and parks are within easy walking distance. Our breakfast every morning was fresh and inviting. Be warned that there is no elevator but help is available for luggage.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just returned from a four night stay at Chateau Versailles. It's greatest asset is its close proximity to shopping, restaurants and the fine arts museum on Sherbrooke Street West in Montreal. Be advised that there are steep stairs leading up to the front door and no elevator within this boutique hotel. Also, in a room with two beds and three females sharing the space, there wasn't a mirror in the room besides the bathroom. My suggestion would be that the addition of a mirror somewhere in the room even one on the closet door would be helpful. Breakfast was just OK.

Room Tip: Stairs within the hotel are steep. There is noise from the street if you have a room at the front...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WhimseaCovington_WA
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My partner and I spent two nights at the Chateau Versailles after getting a great deal on Travelzoo. We left a car with the doorman and traveled by Metro and on foot. The hotel is a classic old building but with modern furnishings. The room was very comfortable, the staff most helpful, and the continental breakfast adequate. We'd certainly go again with a similar deal (included were tickets to the nearby Museum of Fine Arts, a nice bonus).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David A
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was upgraded on arrival to a spacious, quiet room. The furnishings are old-school, including a lovely stone and mirrored bathroom and a big couch. I got a lot of writing done between stints of visiting family at McGill and seeing exhibits. If this location is close to who/what you want to see in Montreal, you will be happy here as a home base. Service is just excellent. And I was fine with the morning breakfast! Not fancy, but with a plentiful stack of newspapers and serve-yourself options in a pleasant if old-fashioned dining room.

Room Tip: Keep in mind there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family