“Convenient, pleasant, clean”
Review of Chateau Versailles

Chateau Versailles
Ranked #65 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 4 May 2007

We stayed at Ch,V. on our recent long-weekend trip to Montreal. We found the hotel to be conveniently located on upscale Sherbrook St., steps from museums, restaurants and shopping.
Old Montral, Latin Quarter and Plateau are quite a bit farther but Its only a couple of blocks to the Metro.
The Hotel is clean. Our room was not big but comfortable and was nicely equiped. Central heating didn't work (was turned off, according to the front desk) despite the fact that the overnight temprature was 3 Celsius.(Corridors were heated but not the rooms ?!) We were however promptly given a space heater and extra blankets. The bathroom was clean, high average
Breakfast consists of an average continental buffet, adequate though nothing exciting to write home about.
The staff was helpful and pleasant.
I would stay here again - probably in a larger room though.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JKoala87

Reviewed 26 April 2007

I have stayed here on 3 occasions in the last 2 years. This hotel is perfect in location and services. The staff is old world and very helpful and friendlly. The breakfast that is included is perfect in quality and variety. I ask for a quiet room and "walla" I am given a quiet room. Location is pefect if by foot or with car. The rooms are comfortable with yummy beds. I'm picky and travel alot and this hotel has it all. Great comfort and service.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank 2sunnytravelers
Reviewed 20 February 2007

This hotel is great! Our room was beautiful and the hotel staff was very friendly. My girlfriends and I stayed in the honeymoon suite so there was plenty of room for the 3 of us. It is very close to the metro, shopping, great restaurants and the Museum of Fine Arts. After spending the day in the freezing cold it was nice to have some place comfortable to come home to!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank nytraveler8
Reviewed 10 January 2007

I was at this hotel twice in a week, on the first and the last night of my business journey to Canada.
The first night I was really amazed: I had a very large room with a relaxing bed to recover from jet lag and a large desk to work comfortably. Wow - I thought - this place is a real bargain and much nicer than expected.

The second night was very different. I spent the same amount of money but I was given a dark room in the basement so small that I could not keep my suitcase open and walk around the bed at the same time. Walking up and down to the basement on a steep, narrow staircase with my luggage was not pleasent as well.

Rooms are clean and in good order. Staff is very polite and helpful. Continental breakfast is almost non-existent.

Although the Chateau Versailles is overall a pleasant hotel, I would probably make a different choice next time I am in Montreal.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
3  Thank MemberfromPadova
Reviewed 3 December 2006

Overall, top marks for this small hotel in Montreal.

The Hotel was conveniently located at just a short stroll from St Catherine's street, the main shopping artery in Montreal and just s stone's drop from the subway station.

Rooms were well furnished and equipped with nice fluffy pillows and soft quality bedding, tasteful well kept furnishings and they didn't miss all the extra touches such as coffee machine, bath robes, complimentary umbrellas, quality Evelyn and Cabtree toiletries (-as appossed as God knows what own brand, possibly safeway savers-) had I know, I would have not carried mine all the way from England. The rooms were well heated, ideal for those Montreal cold nights.

Breakfast was probably the weakest aspect of this hotel, as the selection wasn't huge but what they had tasted delicious. Boiled eggs, two types of bread, sponge cake, croissant, pain au chocolat, cheese cubes, peanut butter, jam, chopped fruit (most of it from the can) orange juice (fresh), tea and coffee... that was about it,...

Also, here's a tip, if you book their superior rooms through their 'shopping package' it works cheaper than booking a standard room and they rooms are much nicer.

The hotel staff was helpful, although I wasn't impressed with their recommended guided tour company 'Grayline' as they dumped me and a few other people on a site and left.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank marujilla80
Reviewed 23 November 2006

This was our honeymoon, and my husband and I both loved it. Not only were the rooms (and the entire hotel) clean and well decorated, but the staff was all very friendly and helpful. Furthermore, it was only a short walk from museums and great shopping, plus a Metro station, so it was beyond easy to find exciting things to do everyday. I would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank eccisne
Reviewed 25 October 2006

Stayed in the Hotel Versailles on a two-day trip to Montreal. I don't remember what I paid for it but I think, had I done my homework, I could have found a nicer hotel in a more exciting part of town.

First of all, the parking situation at the hotel is terrible. Most urban hotels I've been to feature underground or valet parking, or have a relationship with a lot nearby where you can get a good discount. I pulled up to the front of the hotel which is on a pretty busy street, and had to wave the bellhop out to have him tell me I was pretty much on my own for parking, but they would valet-park my car nearby for $25 a night. I guess that's not so bad but it seemed like a tough way to make a few bucks for a supposedly classy hotel.

Check-in was fine, a few different free newspapers available in the lobby were a nice touch.

The room, although nothing spectacular, was clean and well-decorated. The bed and the furniture were comfortable. It was a cold day, so I turned up the heat and it responded well.
Unfortunately, the hotel is downhill from a hospital, and consequently there are many sirens.

The immediate area outside the hotel is OK, but as I wasn't there for tourism, I just walked around for awhile. There is a bank right across rue Sherbrooke with a secure ATM. As another reviewer said there is a boulangerie two blocks east of the hotel. Definitely try it out. It was my favorite experience of the time I was there. If you head south you come into a more commercial area with small shops and different restaurants. It was crowded (Saturday night) with a surprisingly diverse mix of young people. As I just found out, that's because Montreal's largest university is in the area.

So, overall--not bad. But do your homework and make sure you are OK with a somewhat noisy location.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business