“outdated dump”

Hotels Gouverneur Montreal
Ranked #102 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 22 November 2013

wallpaper falling off the walls bathtub drain handle broken
and if you take a shower water rises to your ankles before it drains old tube tv wiht very bad reception (SNOW) stains on carpet and bed sheets toilet bowl stained whit i dont know what no fridge in room (extra $) tayd there november 2013 do not go outside full of beggars drug addicts and beggars that will leave you alone for a second and to end it all my wife and i got stuck in the elevator going down to leave do not go there are a lot of better hotel in montreal in much better neihbourhoods

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roger3713

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The hotel website totes itself as a four-start hotel which it is not. Perhaps it was one in the 70s or whenever this hotel was built but it's definitely not a four-star North American hotel today. Having said this, I was still satisfied with our stay because of the low price we paid.

If you're looking for a place to stay that's in downtown Montreal for a couple nights and you're not looking for pay more than $70 a night, this place is perfect. I booked through Priceline and got this for $70 although you could do the same through Hotwire with more certainty with which hotel you're getting. We were also told that we got an upgrade but the room looked pretty basic to me - double bed, a desk, television set, etc. Also had a shoe shine and trouser press (again, this hotel has got to be several decades old). Nevertheless, we appreciated the free upgrade especially since we got the room for such a good price. We stayed on the 25th floor and had a nice view of the city.

My major issue with the hotel is the $20/day parking fee. If I had paid the regular $130/night plus a $20 parking fee, I would have been sorely disappointed with the quality of this hotel. The other problem is that there was no fridge in the room so we couldn't keep anything in the room that required refrigeration.

The decor is dated and we weren't interested in the pool or sauna but I suspect they would be quite old as well.

All in all, a very average hotel for a good price. If the hotel underwent some renovations, it could be boosted from a 2.5/3 star hotel to a 4-star one.

I've noticed that other reviewers were upset by the number of homeless people in the area. Well, I've been to Montreal many many times and a) the hotel cannot control where homeless people decide to settle, b) Montreal is full of homeless people everywhere except the suburbs anyway and c) I've never felt unsafe anywhere in Montreal, even walking alone at night as a single female. So folks, suck it up, homeless people are people too. They will not in large part bother you unless their mere presence bothers you and in that case, you may have some personal reflection to do.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here for a week in October. Kinda dodgey neighbourhood with a lot of homeless people and druggies. Tons of beggars everywhere.
The hotel itself has a nicer hotel for business class clients which i never got to see. The room we were given was adequate for what we needed. Had 2 beds in good condition with pillow top mattresses. A non-lcd TV which again was fine. An incredible view of the city from the 18th floor. On the 5-6 floor there is a pool which had no lights working so if you like to swim in the dark its ok. Its heated kinda sorta. It doesnt open until 5 pm. Oddly enough. Theres a decent steam room in that area as well.
Pillow and blankets in the room were not good they were hard and blankets old.
Was charged for a fridge in the room. If you can get this room cheap and i mean cheap on priceline then go for it. Otherwise i would probably not stay here again nor would i be comfortable bringing my family. On a brighter note there is a supermarket and drug store right downstairs. Free wifi too. Nice people at front desk.

Room Tip: Higher up you go it gets better
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank campo84748
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A first glance was happy with hotel:
- Keurig coffee machine
- decor looks clean and fine as is view of city

2 day stay ups and downs - I will start with the downs, because they out trumpd the "ups" for a 2 day stay:
(Downs)
- old bed and old pillows (bed was hard and lumpy and pillows had no spring), which meant a poor sleep
- bathroom: shower head very old, sink leaky
- pool - very old and had discoloured spots throughout...looked dirty
- tried Keurig machine and coffee exploded
- $20 per night parking
- signed up for Gouvernour club, but since paid priceline price, would not allow me to use the "club benefits" which would have included buffet breakfast
- no fridge or kitchen

(Ups)
- IGA/grocery and Jean Coutu (pharmacy) downstairs was fabulous! for getting cheap water, fruit and toiletries + foodcourt and subway connecting
- great price on priceline, but have stayed in 3 star priceline hotels and would say this is the poorest one I have stayed in and will inform priceline of this

I would not say I am the pickiest traveller but the quality of the hotel began to wear on me the 2nd day...so if more than 1 night..I would say stay somewhere else. Although my child did not mind at all...she loved the pool.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Winnie L
Chantale D, Manager at Hotels Gouverneur Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Good Day,

It is with great care that I have read your comment and you have brought to our attention a number of things that displease you.

We thank you for sharing with us your experience further to your stay and we're very sorry for not being able to meet your expectations. Please, feel free to call me directly to discuss the matter further, I will be glad to assist you.

Regards,
Chantale Dubé

Reviewed 7 November 2013

This hotel is definitely a solid three-star. I know some ratings have it at a "4", but not really so. It is however excellent value for the money and has many many positives. My room was spacious and had a nice view of the river in one direction. A large building next door obscured part of it, but I think they can help you get at least a partial view (even if you pay the lower internet special rate I did) if you ask. My bed was quite comfortable and everything worked fine. There was no fridge or safe and it was last redecorated awhile back, but it was clean and very functional. Elevators worked incredibly well from the 17th floor with no delays even on a busy weekend. Pool and sauna were very nice with an attendant but almost always not used when I went down there (which surprised me). Breakfast in the restaurant was good and convenient but a little expensive at $20 for the full buffet. I did it on departure day and thought it was well worth not having to go out of the building and run around. There is a large food court right in Place Dupuis (underground shopping) a two minute walk from the lobby literally with many options for simple dining. Also, the hotel is in a run-down area of the city (Latin Quarter?) with homeless people but I wasn't approached or pan-handled once in three days so felt perfectly safe. One of the main metro interchanges (Barri) is right across the street from the hotel and I'd recommend thinking about getting the $9/day tourist pass if you'd like to try to get a full day of sightseeing in. Otherwise, most of the tourist area is within a 30-35 minute walk from the hotel and you can take the metro back for $2.75 one way if you're tired. Parking is $19.95/day and I thought well worth it. It's a little confusing on arrival with no obvious drop-off. I'd pull into the garage and there is an entry there where you temporarily park your car while you check in. Staff was all very friendly and helpful with not one bad experience. I give them high marks. The concierge gave me a good dining recommendations for Chinese but it was Cantonese so ask more specific questions if you're going ethnic (I like spicier food). If you get a good rate at this hotel, I'd definitely go for it!

Room Tip: Higher room on one side should give you a good view of the city.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Charles S

Thank you for your nice comments regarding our hotel. We appreciate the time and effort in sharing your experiences because we thrive in providing our guests the best experience possible.

Hope to have the chance to welcome you again in a near futur!

Chantale Dubé

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I would really like to know what sort of crack people are smoking to say this is a good hotel. Where are you used to staying? A lean-to on the side of the road? My wife and I got this hotel on a Priceline bid, $65 a night and I would of preferred to stay virtually anywhere else.

Homeless people sleeping INSIDE the sliding doors of the hotel greeted us.
Our first room on the 11th floor smelled so strongly of mold, we moved down to the 10th floor.
The carpet, the bed, the shower, the desk and the shelves had not been changed or updated in decades. The carpet was almost worn through in spots.
The internet was free, but you got kicked off every 10-15 minutes or so.
The shower head was, and this isn't an exaggeration, was from the 1960s. The extreme water pressure caused the water to come out in one clump. Spinning or turning the shower head did nothing. The water backed up almost instantly and the shower floor felt lumpy. It was unsafe.
There appeared to be some kind of frat party on our floor with fratboys slamming doors until 4 in the morning.

Good things about the hotel: near the metro, near grocery stores and lots of restaurants. That's it.

Probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed at and NO WHERE NEAR a 3-star hotel on Priceline. 1-star at best.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank TheBlargg

Dear Sir,

We have been in business for over twenty years. Any kind of business still standing and performing for this duration translates in hundreds of satisfied guests.

Please note that hotels have to comply to so many regulations from different entities making sure that all aspect are respected at all times. I've been working at the hotel for the past 4 years and never heard of any homeless people sleeping INSIDE the sliding door. To assure the security of our guests, we have security agent 24/24 and well advise staff.

Surprise inspections are made all year around and all hotels have to be conform to all standards at all times. I regret that you felt that your comment should be public and on trip advisor. We value all our guests comments and they continue to drive us to improvement however some comments should be documented and thought over seriously.

Hundreds of employees work at the Gouverneur for years and do their best to serve our guests (and they are not crack people as mention in your comment). They pride themselves in their jobs and feel really astonished by such an easy comments.

Kind regards,

C.Dubé

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I went to Montreal on Tuesday Oct. 29 2013 and stayed at this hotel. The staff is very welcoming when I came through the door and the rooms are very well taken care of with a Beautiful view of this city.

I would recommend this hotel to all that are visiting Montreal.

Room Tip: Ask them to be on the side facing Mount Royal. You can see the cross on top of the mountain from thi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo