“Location,location,location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #92 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Houston, Texas
“Location,location,location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed twice in March. Both times were without incidence. Room was very clean and bed was very comfortable. The breakfast buffet is over the top with delicious food and fresh fruit which kept me full til I got back to Texas. As for location you can access the metro or bus station ( for airport bus ) without going outside in inclement weather.There is also a full sized super market downstairs if you want some fresh fruits or baked goods to munch on. The pool is also nice. I already made my reservations for two visits in July.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Stephen E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel was okay. The staff were helpful, but the hotel wasn't very nice. The rooms were small and the bathroom wasn't very nice. On the other hand, it was pretty good for the price. It did have a pretty good location!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ottawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I could go on about the broken TV armoire, no sitting chairs, broken shower, and no heat in the room (temp was 64 degrees in the room our entire stay), but instead I will discuss the 3" diameter dried blood stain we found beneath one of the pillows of our bed. Being a registered nurse, we were more than troubled about this and couldn't believe what we were seeing. It was obvious the bedsheets had not been changed and we called a Manager to our room to have him see what we found. He was speechless. The blood was dried (so had been there a while) and although he called housekeeping to address the situation, (again, being a nurse and being concerned about HIV and/or hepatitis contamination) there was no way we wanted to remain in that room. Especially since there was no attempt to disinfect the area in any way, but merely to change the sheets.
Our room was changed (an apparent upgrade, but the only difference to the room was we had a shoeshine machine and pant press), and we were given a credit for one of our night's stay, but I remain appalled at the conversation I had with the Director the following morning. He insisted that the sheets were clean when we took possession of the room, and that the blood had to have been deposited there after we received the key. We did NOT even touch the bed until it was time to go to sleep and turned the covers back. For him to emphatically state that the sheets were clean and take no responsibility whatsoever for what we encountered was abhorrent. We spent almost $800, had nothing but problems from the moment we checked in, and to finally come across a dried pool of blood under a bed pillow and then be told that the hotel had provided us with a clean bed, is beyond unacceptable. The Director stated to me that he 'would no longer discuss the issue' and left me with my one night's room credit (that I gather should have appeased me). Well it did not! We have photographic evidence of the blood, many witnesses, including the Desk Manager, and will be following this up in the days to come. Had there been some accountability, apologies, and full credit for our stay, this would have ended; but to be told we were lying and somehow accountable ourselves for the blood stained sheets, this is not nearly the end of this.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank raill
Chantale D, Manager at Hotels Gouverneur Montreal, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Madame,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback during your stay with us. We are sorry to hear about the isolated incident you experienced and please be assured that I am personally following up with my Housekeeping Manager and Front Office Manager.

Please note that that we have to comply to many regulations from different entities making sure that cleanliness and hygiene are respected at all times. All of our linen is outsourced to a professional cleaning company that has been established since 1981 using high end equipment and products.

As you mentioned, our supervisor on duty personally verified the stain and immediately upgraded your room and offered you and your family all free breakfast for the inconvenience. Upon check out, our Front Office manager offered you a credit for that nights’ stay.

We are in the hospitality business and by definition we are at our guest’s service and we value all of their comments and they continue to drive us to improve.

Please accept our sincerely apology and should you have any other concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Chantale Dubé
Director of Operation
cdube@gouverneur.com

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Hotel old located in montreal where you don't feel safe.
The water in the pool was cool, didn't have a spa.
Room was ok but the bathroom needed to be repaired.
But we had a really good price trough a bid in priceline so the cost was correct for the type of room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cool_coucou
Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Checked into the hotel prior to my wife, found the check-in to be very efficient and quick. Got into the room, and found no immediate issues upon a very quick look into the room. My initial thought was that the hotel was in DIRE need of a renovation. It looked like something I had seen in a movie from the 70's.

My wife caught up to me, and was immediately hit on by a supposed member of the staff who requested to bring her bags up to her room in an extremely questionable manner. After waiting for someone to help her for a few minutes to find where the elevators were, she eventually found the location to the elevators, and then she started to check out the room.

What she found was the following:
1) Lamp without a light bulb in it.
2) Still water in the ice bucket.
3) Leg broken in the hotel room
4) Ripped sheet on the bed.
5) Hair in the bathtub.

Aside from this, the room really wasn't all that bad, but it was all the small things that accumulated in order to make it a less than desirable location. I am extremely glad I got the hotel at a discounted price, and am absolutely shocked that they advertise themselves as a 4-star hotel. Choose another hotel room if you have the option.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Seibzen
Chantale D, Manager at Hotels Gouverneur Montreal, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Good Day,

It is with great care that I have read your comment and you have brought to our attention a number of things that displeased you.

We thank you for sharing with us your experience further to your stay and we're very sorry for not being able to meet your expectations. Please, feel free to call me directly to discuss the matter further, I will be glad to assist you.

Regards,
Chantale Dubé
Director of operation
Clifton Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

This hotel is in a great location and was reasonable as we had to get 3 rooms. However, the pool was closed for maintenance. The rooms are old and dreary. We were gone for more than 5 hours on Saturday and when we came back, the room had still not been cleaned. So we had to call down, and she only halfway cleaned it, leaving us the dirty wash towels and not resupplying any bathroom products. On a positive note, the gentleman (certainly not the woman) at the front desk is wonderful and could not be more accomodating.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TRAV0301
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

The many comments about this hotel needing a renovation are spot on. It is tired, very tired. The furniture is dinged, the armchairs threadbare, some of the hallway carpeting has holes. The bed comes with one of those shiny polyester bedspreads that have long disappeared even in most mid-range hotels. The television is an old 20" CRT, no flat screen to be found. I had a voicemail message that I had a call; it was my wife who had called while I was sitting next to the phone but it never rang. There's a connector door with the room next door (how often are these ever used?) and it only serves as a conduit for noise from the next room.

The bed was OK, had just one blanket on it though there was another in the armoire to put on the bed. The pillows were good.

Bathroom lighting was fine, no complaints at all. The cups were all plastic-wrapped plastic cups (somehow one always gets this kind of wrapped cup with the polyester bedspread). The bath towels here huge and were thicker than the hand towels.

You could set the thermostat, but you either got heat or air conditioning. There was no "off" switch. What I mean is, when the (electric baseboard under the window) heat went off (you could hear it switch off), the a/c immediately came on. Hot or cold.

The front desk people who checked me in were delightful, but don't know where they went afterwards because the front desk people were expressionless for the rest of my stay.

Free wi-fi!

And great views of the Montreal skyline... And across the street from the Berri-UQAM Metro station, also accessible through the inside via the Place Dupuis shopping center. The rest of the neighborhood, especially east and south, isn't great, though compared to most cities, it is not at all "dangerous." Bibliothèque et archives nationales du Québec a block away: THIS IS NOT TO BE MISSED, a great library, and I'm told the most frequented in North America. Université du Québec à Montréal is right there, too.

The best part of the hotel is the restaurant. Given that the room was so tired, I was really wary of the restaurant, but it was cold and snowy and I didn't want to go out. You know what? Someone in the kitchen knows how to cook: I had an excellently prepared piece of beef with a wonderful array of 3 or 4 vegetables, worthy of a much, much better restaurant. And the waitress was exceptionally helpful and friendly; she spoke very good English as well as French, as you would expect. I went back for a second night. The wines aren't great, but the atmosphere is OK and really worth a visit.

So a great location, a nice restaurant, adequate rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the city (west view).
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business