“Great hotel, excellent location”

Hotels Gouverneur Montreal
Ranked #102 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel, excellent location”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Reading the reviews after booking the hotel, we were a bit concerned. I am happy to report that our stay at a very busy time (Jazz Festival) was excellent. The room definitely met our expectations, the hotel staff were very pleasant and the location for enjoying Montreal was excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank oopsMontreal
Chantale D, Director of operation at Hotels Gouverneur Montreal, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We thank you for sharing with us your experience further to your stay. We would like to assure you that we heard all your comments and consider them in its just value.

Director of operation

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2014

At Ste. Catherine, entrance to The Village, walking distance to waterfront and Centreville. Pleasant, clean albeit somewhat dated decor is enhanced by friendly desk staff. Unfortunately the Concierge were not knowledge about the Cirque du Soleil show (it is based in Montreal) or best bagel brunch restaurants (recommended Schwartz whcih doesn't even serve smoked fish or bagels; just meat).
However, our 24th floor water facing room offered a spectacular view of the International Fireworks Festival held every summer Saturday. We had not requested this view but urge you to!
The rate offered a continental breakfast with pastries and fruit or a $5 credit toward full breakfast. Either is a good deal. Even the basic continental comes with OJ and coffee.
My new beau and I really fell in love with Montreal, largely because this location made getting around so easy. The Metro is at door, cabs lined up outside and area is incredibly safe even coming home at dawn :)

Room Tip: River view offers best view - fireworks, The Village and waterfront.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MoveSmarter

New York,NY
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Location is great at this hotel. Although they could update the facility a bit. Bed was comfortable but it felt like they need to remodel. Might not stay at this hotel again because of this. Customer service was good. 20 bucks a day to park.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank StefMillz
Stockholm
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I spent only one night at the hotel during a business stay in Montreal. I wanted to be in the city and close to the places I had a meeting, and also nearby the old town and Quartier Latin.
The hotel lobby is not up-to-date, but do not let that disappoint you: The staff was very friendly, the room was very confortable, free wi-fi, and the breakfast was quite good. Once more, location, location, location -- very well situated.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank travelers_Solna

Dierctor of operation
Vermont
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here. The location is terrific, right next to major Metro lines,Mall, Latin quarter, and easy walk to where all the festivals take place at Place de Arts.

It is in a city, so there are the usual sketchy folks, but hello you are in the center of a city what do you expect. I feel safe there even late at night. Other writers mention sending there kdis to the park at night, not a good idea in most any city.

Parking is a reasonable 19.50, there is an adequate place for breakfast right next door and tons of places for dinner and drinks near by.

Upon check in I was up graded by an awesome front deck clerk, I had a higher room, bath robe and a slightly better room. Business class, I would have expected more if I had to pay much more.

My major complaint is that it is not a 3.5 or even 4 star property, it is tired and old and in desperate need of major renovation. The common areas are worn down as are the elevators and rooms. I had to put a towl under my door because it did not poperly fit and the light from the hall was bright enought to read by.

The bed and duvet were very nice, I had a flat scren TV and great view, but the furniture needed to be re done. As did the bathrrom very dated and a poorly draining tub.

The staff were very nice and fast, but the plastic cups in stead of real glass ones scream 2 star rating.

As I knew what to expect and love the location I did not mind spending the 80 dollars on the room.

Any more than that and I would have been pretty irate at the fake star ratings.

I would stay here agin for that rate and for different events based out of Palce de Arts, but not for more than 8o dollars a night, I would be happy to pay more if they put some money into the place.

Laocation and staff are there strengths, carpets might be the worst.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade. The views can be very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Rickisaway
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Located in the heart of downtown east, this hotel offered a good stay. I was offered a business floor room which was on a higher floor. The view of the city was amazing. You can see everything from Mount Royal, downtown skyscrapers, and the St Laurent river. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly.
The hotel is attached to Place Dupuis which has restaurants, cafe's and an access to the metro.
Overall it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: west side view is better
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Osama M

Your comments give us have the opportunity to improve our commitment to assure a customer service as high as your expectations. We hope to have the chance to welcom you again in a near futur!

Chantal D.
Sorel, Qc, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I flew back from Newfoundland and came in very tired, traffic was killing me and finally I walked in the Hotel with my wife. We always rent a room when we go and watch a show. Sister Act was the show. They gave us a room on the 12th floor.
When the elevator door opened, it smelled like a damp mop in the hallway, stains everywhere. We opened the room and the smell was terrible, stains, holes you name it. I took pictures, showed them to the manager, and only after the show(11h30) when we came down with our luggage, did we get another room.
I wrote the Hotel headquarters, no answers. NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple