“Good Value, Great Innkeeper”

La Residence Du Voyageur
Ranked #149 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Bend, Oregon
“Good Value, Great Innkeeper”
Reviewed 12 November 2007

Most of the time, reviews concern the room, amenities, etc. I'd like to give David the innkeeper kudos for being attentive to our needs...turned us on to some nice walking areas and even arranged for a car rental during Thanksgiving Weekend. The room was basic (we liked the openable door to get fresh air from outside) but clean, a block from Metro, and 20 minute walk from Vieux Montreal. Nice lounge for reading the paper and enjoying a croissant & coffee in the mornings. For under $90/day including tax, this is a good value and we'll be back.

• Liked — Location, Value, Host
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ontario
Reviewed 31 October 2007

I will not recommend this hotel to anyone! The room was incredibly small, as soon as the worker had my money he was unbelieveably rude. In the hotel room there was a box of rotting egg salad sandwiches left on top of the air conditioner unit on the window. When the worker (owner?) was told about this, he became very rude and thought I was trying to scam him, until he came back to the room with me and saw I was telling the truth. HE DID NOT REMOVE THEM, instead he slammed the door shut and locked it. He told me he would give me another hotel room and refund my first night only. I advised him I would like a full refund and would find another hotel, he became angry and extermely rude and told me not to write a bad review of the hotel.

The hotel was a dump. Even the sign outside the front was broken! I truly do not recommend this hotel! There is a much better hotel and not expensive just up the street!

• Liked — They gave me the refund
  • Disliked — The people that worked there, the room and cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lmmair

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

pennywatcher
Reviewed 18 October 2007

Very cramped, double bed up against outer wall, accessible only from one side. Air Conditioner set in window at foot of bed, not properly sealed in window result an uncrontrollable cold blast of air over the bed all night through the gaps.
Toilet and shower in one unit so cramped that a slightly obese person could not possibly get in or manouvre around. Not soundproof, every move overhead audible.
We had just come from the Econolodge in Plattsburgh which was, by comparison, a paradise !
There must be better places than this in Montreal !
Couldn't take any photos for you, didn't have a close-up lens.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — icy blast through unsealed window
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
British Columbia
Reviewed 22 May 2007

On a recent visit to Montreal...I picked this small boutique hotel especially for the rate...I would not under any circumstances give this hotel any kind of a rating. Very small...and we had the largest room...walls paper thin...bedbugs...1/2 bathtub...dirty mattresses...windows that don't open and no air conditioning. Behind the bed it looked as though it has not been vacuumed ever. We were prepared to stay as it was just a place to put our heads down after being out most of the day...but...when the bedbugs appeared that did it!!. Not even worth the $117.00 we paid for it. We immediately left the next morning...6:30 am and went up to the Doubletree Hilton only a block and a 1/2 away. They were very accommodating and they gave us a great room for just a little more than at the Residence Du Voyageur. I would not under any circumstances recommend this hotel until they have cleaned up their act.

4 Thank disappointedandupset
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 March 2006

This hotel was fine. people are too snoody when it comes to traveling...hey your paying 80 dollars a night, you are not going to get the ritz!!! i enjoyed myself at this hotel, and it did the trick, i had a place to sleep on my vacation. this place is not bad, it has a great breakfast (i did not have it but it was offered) and it was clean and i had no complaints! i further recommend it for travelers who can handle being travellers if you want something extravagant than pay 100 dollars more...also its close to everything...walking distance!

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 December 2005

The first night i stayed there i was in the smallest room i've ever seen, i know the place is cheap and you get what you are paying for but this was extreme, you get a room with a poor New York apartment view like in the movies, mine was to a top roof and "lovely" air conditioner machines, i was not able to open the drawer all the way because the bed was there, i was surprise that the bathroom door could open entirely but in a moment i wonder if i was be able to seat on the toilet (thank God i could), the shower is 2x2 FEET and i'm not kidding or if you like it in another way it's 3 medium tiles per 3 medium tiles, paper thin walls? yes, you dont control at all the air conditioner so if it's your first night in -40 degrees farenheit (i saw it on TV) you are gonna have problems sleeping

Next morning i went to the reception desk to ask to turn on the heat, the owner (a funny asian man) told me "no problem, no problem -40 degrees just last night, not again" so that sounded to me like they were not going to heat it up, after asking me were i was from for my surprise his wife was also mexican and because i was going to stay for a week he gave me an room upgrade for the same price (most of the people stay just 2 or 3 days)

The new room was TOTALLY different, nice view, plenty space for 2 persons, the 2x2 shower was also there but i was so happy that i didnt care so the rest of my stay was perfect, i was leaving in the morning to see the city and coming back at night to sleep (wich i guess would not be possible in one of the tiny rooms)

Continental breakfast like the other people said is cookies, croissants, coffee and orange juice (not natural)

I stayed during low season so i paid 38 american dollars per night wich was not bad at all, i paid untill i was leaving and not at the beginning and for me it was very clean (probably because there was not too many people when i was there)

Bottom line, if you dont fight for one of the 6-8 big rooms from the 28 they have you better go someplace else because you wont be able to rest and enjoy your vacations

• Stayed March 2003
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Shelton, Ct
Reviewed 18 July 2005

Sure this is not The Ritz but it's adequate enough for the $85 CAN/nite for a Thurs and Fri stay. I stayed at peek season
(3rd time) and I'd go back. I had none of the problems people had in the other reviews. No check in problems and no noise. Staff was polite and more than ready to help with directions and needed ice trays.Breakfast (continental) was included and was set up to our liking.We were served croissants with jam(as much as we wanted) along with the cookie assortment and juice tea and coffee Sure the bathroom doorway was small for me and the tub was also but we were given a 2 double bed room which otherwise was good enough for us(especially for the price compared to other hotels in the area). Also was clean and cool enough with a great street and city view out front. If you are going to just stay and lounge in a hotel for your Montreal stay and expect to be waited on hand and food or you are on your honeymoon don't stay here. But we go to Montreal to do things away from the hotel and did't regret buying gifts to take home for the money we saved on the hotel stay. Another plus-the local hotel workers went on strike in the big hotels around us and guess who did't have to make up their own bed and clean there own room while the
$150 to $200+ a night crowd were left to fend for themselves!

• Stayed July 2005