“1 step above a tent!”

La Residence Du Voyageur
Ranked #147 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This dirty, stinking place has only 1 star because there was a roof and floor: the floor was so warped it was similar to a cruise ship in motion. The two pillows were small & lumpy. The a/c had a filter clogged with hair, dust and dirt - air quality was poor and stunk. No windows to open. Breakfast was burned 'tiny' croissants, diluted O/J, undrinkable coffee that was full of sediment and 'no-name' tea bags. The receptionist did not know how to 'forward messages' to the rooms - which means you do not get your messages. Also, the staff knew absolutely nothing about the city or the immedate community. We met a mailman on the street who told us of a breakfast nook about 1/2 block from the hotel. We had booked 4 nights for the 2012 Jazz Festival and it was very difficult to change reservations. But we recommend a trip to the Montreal Jazz festival.

Room Tip: Do not book here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rosemarie B

Reviewed 7 May 2012

I went to this hotel for a weekend in Montreal.
Room space is OK and you have free wifi that works fine.
It’s near central bus station and also near to one metro station.
Problem is that you can hear the sounds coming from the room next yours and the room above you.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank VelidhuP
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed for over a week and found this little place to meet with my needs and standards (remember this is a budget hotel).

1. It was clean; the carpet was old but very well vacuumed. The covers were very fresh. Towels were in place and the room was pretty well dusted.

2. The price was very convenient; since I stayed over a week they offered me a weekly rate that allowed me to save some money. I was very pleased and since it is winter they come up with very low prices.

3. It is very well situated; in downtown Montreal, Quebec. Just a few minutes from the Old Port, a couple of streets bellow St. Catherine (the downtown street), close to St. Denis and Saint Laurent st. (boutiques and restaurants).

4. Staff very professional and friendly; some people are just obnoxious and this is not the case. They responded very quickly to all of my demands and even though they don't have room service nor maids (after 2PM) the receptionist did do all their best to keep me happy.

Overall staying in this hotels was worth my money and while. I will definitively be coming back here and recomend it to anyone who would be passing by this city.
Important points that have to be made is that (as I was explained by the staff) "this is a budget hotel". The breakfast is very basic, the room itself had an old design, parking was very difficult (they did help with this a lot, they even moved my car for me).

In all I don't recomend this place for a date or an important executive.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

The hotel is on Sherbrooke Street in downtown Montreal. It is just three blocks from a subway station, and the 24 bus runs on Sherbrooke. The hotel is clean, and though the room was cold when I arrived, there was a heater there that worked well. The bathroom was small, but the water pressure was good, and there were several clean towels. There was an older model tv, but it worked just fine. This is very much a budget hotel. I would not suggest it for a romantic weekend away, or a place to suggest to an important corporate client. But if you just need a quiet place to rest your head at night, this is a good spot.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JBFlyGirl
Reviewed 25 September 2011

If you don't want to spend much money, but you want a clean place to stay, then this is a good place. The room was clean, the bed was comfy and it was quiet. Although, the person at the front desk said that since a lot of students stay during holidays (spring break, Christmas, New Year's), it can be quite noisy at those times.
It is walking distance to rue St. Denis where there are a lot of restaurants and it is only a few blocks to Parc Fontaine, which is a beautiful place to walk. It is also very close to a subway station if you prefer not to drive around the city (parking can be difficult in the city).
The people at the front desk are multilingual and they are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are not equipped with a hair dryer, but if you have forgotten yours, they will loan you one. My husband and I stayed in a "superior" room with one double bed, desk and chair, TV and bathroom. While the size and furnishings were adequate, it is not the sort of room that you would want to necessarily lounge in and hang out; it's not luxurious or elegant. The TV was small, 17-inch or so. Since we knew that we wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in the room, this was fine for us. Our room happened to have a charming door with access to the fire escape, which I can imagine would fulfill an artistic notion of a balcony and would provide the perfect place for a late-night drink on a hot summer night.
The hotel is secure; there is a buzzer for the front door even during the day, although I didn't feel like there is anything wrong with the neighborhood; Sherbrooke street is simply busy. They have made an effort to make the little lobby pleasant by putting in a water fountain. A small breakfast is provided. The hotel has an elevator.
One thing to note: when I made a reservation, I was going to do it through their on-line system. The superior room was listed at $85/night. But when I got to the check-out part, the taxes and fees brought the total to $116. I know that taxes are not that high, so I called the hotel directly and made a reservation. The person quoted me a rate of $80/night and then with the normal tax rate, the total was about $93; there were no added fees. So, it is obviously to your advantage to call the hotel directly. I had called within their 72-hour time limit for cancellations, but the man did offer to change it to 48 hours for me. However, I knew that we would be there, so the $93 was charged at the time of the reservation to our credit card. Parking is on the street and is free, which is a real plus in Montreal.
All in all, I would stay here again if I wanted a clean, simple, low-cost room in the city.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mel024
Reviewed 13 April 2011

The hotel is old, but the room was sufficient size, tidy and clean. We booked a budget room and there was plenty of space for us to move around.
The receptionist was helpful with providing information to find our way around the city. The buzzer on the front door is annoying. We were only provided with one key between the two of us and one of us had to buzz reception to be let into the hotel.
The location is the best part of this hotel. It is two blocks from Sherbrooke Metro station and a short walk to Rue Saint-Denis, which has excellent shopping and restaurants.
The walls were thin and we were woken during the night by snoring coming from other rooms and the lift.
We booked this hotel as it advertises on its website that it has parking, which is difficult to find in Montreal. Upon arrival we discovered the hotel has no onsite parking. The receptionist directed us to the free parking spaces on the street. While our car was unharmed during our stay, we would have preferred secure parking.
We didn't try the free breakfast, so can't comment on the quality.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I thought this place would be a quieter place to be on New Years Eve but it was just the opposite. There were multiple groups of teens who appeared to be underage drinking and partying around the somewhat small premises of the Motel until at least 3am, I found that it was just not possible to sleep through that much noise. I ended up sharing a pizza with the night manager at about 2am. We talked about calling the Police but I think the noise was coming from so many different locations in the Motel as to make a distinct call about the source of the noise to be next to impossible. I opted just to ride it out and I left the next day after catching some sleep from around 6am to noon type of thing. It is kind of a smaller Motel with smaller rooms but it is close to some very good restaurants on St-Denis street. The manager apologized for the big noise problem the next day, and he was being sincere, but I doubt if I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo