“Repeat stays”

Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel
Ranked #46 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here repeatedly over the years on business trips. The lobby bar and area is great. I found this stay that the room (14th floor) is tired looking and in need soon of reno. Air con was loud and bathroom aged. Great location and I will stay again but hope owners/management upgrade in near future.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
LeCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

We appreciate your feedback and have taken good note of your comment regarding our guestrooms.

We thank you for you staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,489)

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed for six days / five nights recently with family. Hotel is nice looking overall, rooms included. Rooms are a bit small, but really, it's not like you stay in the room a lot during a vacation, right? Reviewers are right, the AC tends to get loud at times but if you lower the fan speed to level 1 from 2, that helps. More annoying was that turning on the water in the bathroom sink causes a high pitch whistling sound.....this gets pretty aggravating after a while. I could hear the whistling from the rooms near us when they had their water on too, so it's loud and really makes the place feel second rate. The hair dryer in the room worked fine but had a good two inch 'hole' melted off the plastic casing near the end, probably where someone rested a curling iron or something at some point. Not the end of the world, but staff should notice these things that take the perception of the hotel down a notch. That aside, nice enough hotel room, but poor work done on the insulation work in the walls.....you can hear the people in the rooms next to you pretty clearly or anyone who's in the hallway talking like they're almost right beside you. Nice pool area, fitness area, and an outside sunning area with deck chairs. Nice looking business centre but some have said the internet is spotty -- no kidding, had to go to FOUR separate terminals to get one that actually worked and allowed me to log in the one day I needed to use it. I guess this complimentary service doesn't get the same attention as the $15/day in room WiFi? But it's a business hotel, so really not a good impression. Staff is generally very friendly and helpful, so no issues there other than they at times should be better informed. They have what they call a 'Green Clean' promo where you can forgo room service for a day and get a $5.00 voucher in return (for each day you take advantage of that) to use towards the hotel restaurant. Nice idea, except I had a question about using the vouchers and called front desk....had to be transferred to three separate people before someone could answer my question. It's their own program, that shouldn't have to happen. More frustrating to me was that we took in one of the International Fireworks Festival shows at La Ronde on a Sat. evening (do it if you can, awesome!). It's not close to the hotel so we were debating options. The Concierge desk told us we'd have 'no problem' taking a cab home after the evening show from there. Um....good thing we asked a cab company taking us somewhere else in advance about it too, because there was NO chance that would have been possible. They actually close the bridge entirely well before the show so people can line the bridge to see the Fireworks, so no cars can get across at all (La Ronde is on an island connected to the mainland, so it's the only way on / off). We figured out on our own how to get back to the hotel with the Metro (there's a station on the island)....bit of work involved, but not too bad. Issue is it would have been impossible to call a cab.....we would have been waiting for well over an hour after the show before any vehicle could have MAYBE made it's way to us after the bridge re-opened (and I'm being generous)....11:00pm at night or later, with a four year old in tow. As someone not familiar with the area, I'm relying on the concierge for good information, not to strand me somewhere at night with a toddler. When we asked for a steak place recommendation, they pointed us to the Keg nearby. Ok, it's not like they suck but I'm in Montreal, and I want to try some place that I don't have the option of going to back home. They seem to lean to what people coming in are most likely used to....their in-house bar beers are all mainstream (Molson products) instead of even one local Quebec beer on tap. This is very much a business hotel, and that includes them charging you for almost everything....logic being a business person will write it all off, I suppose. The problem is not everyone is there solely for business purposes, but even if you were, there still has to be limits. I did take a three hour block the first morning to visit one local client....the rest of the time was vacation time with family. Needing an early start, I had to have a quick breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Now, I know in general that hotels are overpriced vs. anything outside the hotel....but time was limited so I needed to have a quick bite in house that morning. One cup of coffee, one glass of orange juice, one muffin, and one small bowl of cereal......$28.00. Wow. That cost structure would make even Starbucks fans crap their pants. They charge $4.00 just to bring something to your room (not counting the automatic 15% tip added to any room service bill), and as others have noted, they also charge you to store your bags after checkout. That's new....never ran into that before. Street noise wasn't a real issue to us....there is some, but we were on the tenth floor and it wasn't too bad. Lighter sleepers might feel differently, because there is a fire dept. near the hotel, and also construction work on another building nearby that starts around 7:00am during the week. Location - yes, right in downtown Montreal near the Bell Center. Lots of shopping nearby on Rue St. Catharine, etc. If you're there in mid-July, you'll be in time for their massive sidewalk sale and it will bleed right into the Just For Laughs Festival outdoor events they have going on. Walking distance to Old Montreal and the Old Port district, though not super close (maybe 30 min. walk). Close to two really good smoked meat places (Rubens and Dunns). Rubens is great for breakfast too.....reasonable prices and you get a lot. Lots of places with free WiFi in the area. Taxi stand is part of the hotel, which is convenient, as is the Metro being nearby (easy to use and clean). So, verdict....it's an 'ok' hotel that to me lacks some touches and attention to detail that would make it better.

Room Tip: Those facing the Bell Centre will hear construction noise from 7:00am in the morning due to building...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank OakieRF
LeCentre, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Le Centre Montreal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

We thank you very much for your constructive feedback as it allows us to improve on the quality of services we offer as our goal is to offer each and every guest a most enjoyable Sheraton Experience.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed for one day for a business trip. Unfortunately due to the extremely loud air condition and uncomfortable bed did not get much sleep.
Service was alright with an early check-in. Disliked being charged for storing luggage for a few hours.
The hotel is a bit older but rooms look alright though a bit on the small side.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback as it is of great value to us. We’ve taken note of the problem with the A/C unit and our Engineering department does regular maintenance checks therefore this will be promptly repaired. We do regret that this may have marred what would have been a restful stay with us.

Again, we appreciate your comments as It allows us to improve the quality of service we offer future guests and it is our sincere hope that you will be among them.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel is located in the heart of town with everything you need in walking distance.
The hotel has a bar (pricey), starbucks to purchase, gym, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, a restaurant, valet parking and security by the elevators on weekends. The pool is usually dominated by bachelor parties or families, but there were times it was relatively quiet.
The hotel has a wide variety of clientele ranging from families, to business people, bachelor and bachelorette parties and they do a go job of putting the "routy" people on the same floor.
The concierge was extremely helpful in finding a reservation for a large group at a top restaurant. Room was comfortable and clean. Would stay at again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, which is the furthest from the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NYGD

Thank you for your review, it's truly nice of you to take the time to post such great comments.

We were delighted to welcome you and we do hope you will return in the near future!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel and on both occasions I had nothing to complain about.

In this particular stay, I checked in quickly and smoothly. The room I got had a smell of cigarettes and I had asked for non smoking room so I asked to change it. Was done quickly and I had no issues with the new room at all. The view of the mountain was awesome as well.

Location is great with good proximity to Montreal's st. Catherine street and downtown. And about 7 min drive to old Montreal.

I would recommend this hotel and would choose it next time I'm in Montreal.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a mountain view and on a high floor you will like it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

We truly never tire of reading that our guests enjoyed their stay and we hope that you will be back with us in the near future.

We noted that your experience with your 1st guestroom was promptly dealth with as we strongly feel that what sets a good hotel apart is the manner in which it reacts to their mistakes.

Thank you once again for posting your review.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife, teen daughter, and I stayed here for 4 nights last week for a dance competition at the Palais des Congres. It was everything I like in a hotel for events like this. Clean, quiet, spacious, good showerhead, and close to stuff we can walk to. Things within easy walking distance include the Metro, Rue Ste Catherine (shopping and restaurants). Even the Palais des Congres is not a bad walk. We had a problem with the keys not working when we checked in and it was taken care of cheerfully and quickly. A cab from the airport is CAD$40 flat fee. It was super easy to get a cab at the Sheraton, too. They charge for wifi which is a huge dissatisfier for me. Other than that it was great and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

How nice of you to post such a great review! We're delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us as well as our location! Thank you for staying with us us and we hope you will return in the near future!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Very friendly, professional and helpful staff. Nice big clean rooms. Great location. Access to popular downtown restaurants. Lovely 6th floor roof-top patio. Quick elevators. Pool, gym and spa on site.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kelmof222

It was our pleasure to welcome you and we do hope to be of service to you once again in the near future!

Thank you for your great review!