“never again!”
Review of Le Nouvel Hotel

Le Nouvel Hotel
Ranked #67 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Sad to say that this hotel has lost its appeal! For many years I enjoyed going there, the location, the rooms, the restaurant, the conference rooms. Held many professional events there. Sadly now the people who attended the last few events I've held there have left comments such as: Please change hotel!

The rooms' and hallways' cleanliness in the hotel section left to be desired at times. I've seen garbage bags left in hallways for well over 2 days! In the conference rooms section, the ladies washroom's cleanliness was bad (at best). Quite a few times folks attending events had to ask to change rooms because of smell in their rooms. Some even changed hotels!

The food at the restaurant now is ordinary at best. The waitress during lunch hours makes you feel unwelcomed, she's always crossed, makes you feel like she'd prefer she had no customers. And God forbids you want to order "À la Carte" you'll be told!!! She leaves (not to say drop) a pile of checks on the table leaving guests to figure out which bill is theirs. Participants at the professional events I held there have opted to have lunch elsewhere and the hotel made us feel like this was our fault.

Whereas before the personnel at front desk made you feel welcomed, during my last visit the people at the front desk seemed more bothered about having clients then anything else.

I will be looking for another venue for my professional events and trips to Montreal...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank philippeg761
LeNouvelHotelTeam, General Manager at Le Nouvel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Doctor Philippe,
reading your comment was nothing for a General Manger do be proud of, but first of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and rest assured we value your loyalty . As an Hotelier all comments are important and positive as they contribute to the success of your future visit and help us rectify unpleasant situations. It is unfortunate some issues during your meeting prevented you from fully enjoying your meeting session .
I must confess the all team discontent having not be able to meet your expectations:
Vincent our Sales manager , Donna our Banquet Manager, and myself have met urgently
concerning your comments and we do have a wish today to be able to speak with you and revise the all situation and as you can appreciate during the past years , Vincent and Donna went our of their way each time you were having a reunion at Le Nouvel Hotel in order to serve you better
We left you a message and we very sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to discuss with you and demonstrate that our hospitality is always at his best .
Doctor Philippe I wish you well and look forward to the privilege of welcoming you again

Vincent Baillie
Sales Manager
Donna Graziano
Banquet Manager
LW Nouvel Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We had booked a suite on Groupon, but they gave us a king room instead because they only give suites to Groupon customers if they are available. However, it was still a very nice room! The hotel is very close to a lot of restaurants (many are ethnic foods) and cafes, and also a metro station. A 24-hour metro pass is very much worthwhile because you will then be able to see the entire city very easily. The hotel staff are nice enough and do speak English. Parking on-site is your best bet, fyi.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan S
LeNouvelHotelTeam, General Manager at Le Nouvel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Guest,
we are thrilled to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the
time to share your experience with us ;
we wish you well and hope to see you soon

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I spent one night at Le Nouvel Hotel during March with my boyfriend. When I was looking for hotels online, $80 seemed like a steal. I booked a room with a king sized bed and had mediocre expectations based on the price. The hotel was worse than I imagined. On entering the lobby, I felt I had been transported back to a college dorm. The lobby was teeming with high schoolers. On checking in we were informed by the receptionist that the hotel was hosting “march breakers” which is Canada’s equivalent to US college spring break but with high school students. The receptionist promised that we would be safe due to security posted on the floor which only made me feel more apprehensive. On the elevator ride up to our room we were met by a crowd of drunk teenagers. I thought the room would be a safe haven from the hubbub outside but we were once again met with disappointment. Instead of the king bed I had booked I was in a room with 2 queens. Though that was annoying the worst part of the room was the omnipresence of a strong dank chemical scent. The scent was so disgusting I actually started to become ill. In addition to the noxious fumes, there was a sizeable hole in the wall and the bathroom wasn’t very clean. There was hair on the walls and the shampoo bottles lying unarranged. I immediately called the front desk for another room. Mario the floor manager quickly responded to our request and gave us another room on the same floor. After coming up, he even agreed that the room smelled strongly and he blamed it on the fact that the floors had just been shampooed. I suspect the March breaker who stayed there before us probably puked or peed on the rug. The second room was better, the bathroom was cleaner and the room itself was less run down. There still was a damp undertone in the room but it was not nearly as bad as the first. Even though the room was nicer, it seemed to be missing basic amenities. The bed was made incorrectly with the sheets draped in the wrong direction so your feet hung out. Also, there was no fitted sheet on the bed but rather a flat sheet that had been tucked in. The TV was nice though. At night, I was awoken by the raucous revelries of the March breakers as they banged on doors and yelled down the hallways. The next morning I did not feel bad saying goodbye to Le Nouvel Hotel. Rating – 2 stars

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

dear Guest
thank you very much for your comment. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectation
and yes I have to admit that march break was not a reason for us to be proud. but unfortunately
the group was reserved few years back and was no mention of teenager>
Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reasons your comments are very troubling and will definitely be look into. Please call me at your earliest convenience as I would very much like to discuss with you your stay and hope I can make it up again for you and once more please accept of apologize
hope to hear from you

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Last month, my girlfriend and I wanted to have a relaxing mini-getaway in Montreal: a city that seems to always give us great experiences. After looking at different hotels, we chose this one because of its location to St. Catherine's Street as well as its seemingly great value. After staying here, I can honestly conclude that we made a great choice.

First off, the service was consistently attentive and helpful with all of our needs. In addition to being genuinely courteous, we found them very helpful in a number of aspects, such as giving directions to different restaurants and shops around Montreal, providing a mini-fridge, microwave and cutlery at a moment's notice, and holding baggage AFTER checkout and BEFORE departing so we could enjoy Montreal for a little bit longer before returning home, et cetera.

The room was quaint, clean and warm. Our room sported a comfortable bed, arm-chair, LCD television (although, admittedly, we didn't watch television that much) and a standard bathtub and shower, but it was more than enough for us as a great place to rest up, relax and get ready so we could enjoy our adventures out.

For those who want to be near St. Catherine's Street shops and restaurants, location is excellent. The hotel itself is fairly priced and has decently-priced room service as well. Although the front entrance was under construction, this was the most minor of issues: it did not impede us in any way, and I like the thought of knowing that a hotel strives to keep itself in its best form.

In my opinion, this hotel stays true to the "hospitality" service, as it met every one of our expectations. I would greatly enjoy staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew L

Dear Guest,
wow that was great reading you, it is rewarding for all our service team receiving so wonderful
comments and of course I have posted your note in our billboard: thank you again for taking
your time to share your experience stay at the Nouvel Hotel & Spa it is very much appreciated
We hope to see you soon and wish you well and best regard to your girlfriend

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We had a Groupon so the hotel was a very good value, staying in the deluxe room. The Groupon also included two vouchers for the hotel's spa. What they do not tell you is that, at least on the weekends, which are busy, you not only have to book an appointment, hoping for an availability at this spa but then you also have only about an hour. The spa consists of two hot tubs and two dry saunas. The layout of the room was a little off, with a large pillar down the middle but it was fairly clean and not shabby. The location is excellent for St. Catherine Street and you are a short cab ride away from other hot spots in Montreal. I would stay here again but would certainly not do the spa.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear guest,
a short note to thank you for taking the time to share your comment in our trip advisor page
we are happy you have enjoyed your stay at the Nouvel Hotel and I have also addressed the Spa issue to our Spa manager in order to rectify the situation
we look forward to the privilege of welcoming you again

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We booked to stay at this hotel a month before March Break , when we called we were very well taken care of the lady also gave us the option on choosing a condo. We booked a condo and looked forward to getting there. The only negative incident happened when we arrived and were told that there had been some overbooking and the condo was not available. At first we were offered a room with a king size bed but that was not good because we were four people. The manager then gave us what is call the loft. We took the loft key and left to meet up with friends without checking the room. We arrived at two in the morning and were pleasantly surprised with the area it was situated in and the inside of the room. Wow.. clean and very well taken care of. Marble floors , couch, big bath with jets etc. We were situated in a great area that was very close to St-Catherine's street. We had parking underground and two hours each of spa use. Spa being the hot tub and sauna. There is a pool, but it is not open yet and there is also a conditioning room. Great Experience and would recommend this place to my friends. I would definitely return. Only one small thing the mattress was not the best but much better than cuba!

Room Tip: LOFTS are well situated and quite. There are five together so if your a group this is an excellent...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pampers101
LeNouvelHotelTeam, General Manager at Le Nouvel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest ,
We are thrilled to hear you have enjoyed your stay at Le Nouvel Hotel & Spa
and thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our Trip Advisor Page
I have posted you comments and did share it with all my service team
look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in a near future

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed at the Nouvelle Hotel at Christmas time in the St. Matthieu section which is in the back. Our room was on a floor with privately owned condos which actually provided a very "homey" atmosphere as we could smell dinner cooking when we returned from shopping.
The room faced southeast towards the CP train tracks.
We did not use the restaurant, bar or spa although we wished we had time to use the swimming pool.
The TV was not a flat screen but we did have all the channels we wanted.
Our room with king bed was extremely quiet and comfortable. The kitchenette was fantastic and very well stocked with utensils, dishes, microwave, coffee maker etc.
Of course, the best part is that the location is amazing and mere steps from lots of Montreal fun. We have already recommended the hotel to friends.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Barbara G

Dear Guest
always nice hearing great comment , I would like to add that the TV was changed by a flat one 42'': we sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in a very near future
wishing you and all yours well