“The worst quality and unfreindliest service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Saint Malo

Le Saint Malo
Ranked #145 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Hamilton, Canada
“The worst quality and unfreindliest service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

It was a hell. Our vacation was destroyed. They asked us for $139 and charges us for pet and parking. The room was extra small, cold and in the basement. The handle of washroom did not work and we got stuck, every time we used it. We had to leave the washroom open during using it. The person in charge in hotel gave us an insult, when we complained about the door. Stains on the blankets and smoke traces did not make us have a comfortable sleep, although it was supposed to be smoke free. The glass of the closet was broken and nobody fixed it. After 6 hours of driving from Ontario, we experienced the worst hotel in the earth in Montreal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank aida g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

When I got there, I saw how small the room was; even though there was heat in the main room, the bathroom was freezing - I suspect it's always the same temperature as being outside. The walls are paper thin - you hear people going up and down the stairs and talking in the halls and other rooms constantly. Unfortunately, I had a bunch of noisy twenty-somethings on my floor who wouldn't stop making noise to the point where I had to change rooms so that I could sleep. The replacement room in the basement had a different kind of heating system and was freezing, and the thermostat was almost impossible to figure out but I eventually got it working (and had to put it up full at all times to stay warm). No views there, as there's no window and the bathroom is also freezing (radiator in there didn't work) but it was a bit quieter at least. The staff were generally nice, the wifi worked fine, there was fridge on my floor along with a microwave for guest use, and the water pressure and temperature were fine, but the place was just grungy and seemed to lack proper attention to cleaning details, like floor and wall washing. Good if you need something small and cheap but otherwise find something better.

Room Tip: avoid the basement if you want a window/view. Rooms across from the stairs will be noisier.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank todowntowner04

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Stayed here for the F1 Grand Prix weekend.

I'm giving it 2 stars. It is right in the city center and I found the place to be clean. If you just need a bed for the night in the city center then I have no complaints. It's small and not really luxury living but it's inexpensive and does the job.

The reason I'm writing to review is a warning. If you are driving then leave your car at one of the other hotel or public underground car parks.
It's $15 to park overnight. I offered to pay an extra day to if I could leave it there until after the race but it was not allowed. Fair enough but strange given I could park at another hotels' lot that I wasn't even staying at.

The park is a narrow alley around back, very tight so no big cars will get in.
Alley smelled strongly of urine. (Should have taken the warning). Since I had to move my car before the race I left early. When I got there I had to wake up 2 homeless guys taking shelter against my car in order to move it. On closer inspection later there's a few scrapes on one side of the car and a couple of shoe-prints on the roof. There's a low balcony over the car park for the apartments above, I'll assume my car allowed for a quicker exit route.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

This is an absolute dump! There's so much dirt everywhere that the furniture almost crawls around room... Beware of the unknown stains on carpets, beddings, chares, walls and drawers!!! If you don't catch something you Are lucky! Run away! We found this dump on the hotel.ca and thogth it was a great deal...

• Stayed October 2011
7 Thank Gianluca Z
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

Upon arrival, the clerk stated that there was no available parking for several blocks of the hotel. The distant, open, parking had no attendant, was littered with rubbish, grafitii and cost a twenty dollar fee. The hotel clerk stated that our reservation file would not open and could not verify our reservation for three adults. He then insisted that we pay him an additional, cash fee of of twenty dollars for the third adult to be allowed in our room. He repeatedly refused to provide me a reciept, stating it wasn't necesary. The clerk then stated that he could not give us a cot, another room or any accomodations for this extra fee that we had just paid as nothing was available. He then directed the three of us to an extremely small, basement, room with one bed that was filled with a stench of cigarette smoke. It was awful as our eyes burned, it was difficult to breath and one of us became immediately ill just after a few minutes of being in the room. The window wouldn't open and there was no fan in the bathroom to air it out. We spoke to the clerk to address our concerns where he simply stated, there's "no refund, no refund." The poor conditions forced us to to forfeit the hotel and parking cost and we checked out within ten minutes of being there. Also, the rate later billed on my credit card statement was one third higher than the rate agreed to through the booking agency which I am still trying to rectify. The staff was inconsiderate, dishonest and the room was unhealthy.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Travelor98
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

I don't know why there are people who comment this hotel in a bad way. I stayed there last month with my friends and we really enjoyed the place. The rooms are clean and comfortable. I saw the comments before I went there. They said there are bugs in the room. But seriously, we didn't see them at all. The receptionist is very nice. Anyways trust on ur decisions.^^

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank enjoy_music
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2010

Hands down the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at.

Cheap does not mean it can be unclean, run down, musty, noisy, and generally mis-managed.

The bed and bedding were old, unclean, and musty. The floors and walls were filthy, and the whole place smelled.

The door-jam had clearly been kicked in and was only screwed back into the wall, so the lock wouldn't be able to handle a person leaning against it.

The bath-tub had so much water underneath it that you couldn't safely stand in/on it (I wish I was kidding).

The table legs were bent out of shape so the table was basically unusable (not that there is room to use it), and the chair was stained with god-knows-what.

The place is connected with vents (except in the bathroom!?!) so that you can hear even the lowest conversations as if they were in your room. And, we had 4 or 5 staying in the room next to us that were so obnoxious that we ended up leaving (this was after trying to get staff to do something about it!

The breakfast was an insult given that you're in Montreal (definitely food city!), and the location isn't in the safest or best part of town (a lot of drunks, street-folks, and rowdies).

Simply put: its a dump.