“Decent hotel - especially for the price!”
Review of Le Saint Malo

Le Saint Malo
Ranked #152 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 14 January 2009

We booked this hotel using credit card points, but I had seen that it is an inexpensive hotel. For the price, it was great! Great location right off St. Catherine, near lots of shopping, bars, and restaurants. The room was small, but clean. The bathroom was very clean as well. Definitely no bed bugs.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 October 2008

Stayed here in June 2008 for the convenient location and price. We booked the double deluxe room and it looked exactly like the pictures on the website...although the bathroom was initially smaller than expected. Of course I wasn't expecting anything luxurious but my bathroom only had the tiniest corner shower that I've ever seen (no tub), at lease there was a window to help me feel less trapped. The room was cozy and the beds were comfortable (although mine was somewhat slanted). I personally didn't experience the bedbug thing that the other reviews talked about. Our view consisted of nothing special --- We were beside an apartment building and we could see their balconies...so we kept our curtains closed. There was air conditioning included in our room which was a lifesaver because of the heat and a continental breakfast : Orange juice, apple juice, coffee, croissants, chocolate croissants, muffins and yogurt. They gave you a tray and you had to take it to your room to eat...which may bother some people. The only bad thing I have to say about this hotel is that I didn't like the paper thin walls and all the stairs I had to go up with my huge suitcase (although the man at the desk was kind enough to offer his help).

The verdict?

The people at the front desk were friendly and accommodating, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the location was perfect for me (Near Dawson College and Place Alexis Nihon) and I only had to pay 80$.

This hotel is perfect for very short stays when traveling alone or with friends.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelGurl86
Reviewed 22 September 2008

I chose this hotel because of the value and the location. I was surprised to find it was better than I expected after having read the reviews here. The report of bedbugs was concerning but I didn't read that review until after I booked and prepaid for the hotel. I checked the beds as soon as I entered the room and was relieved not to have any. In fact, what I found was a very clean room and new sheets and pillows on both beds. The hotel staff was very accommodating. They even called a cab for me as I was leaving the hotel at 4AM. The free wi-fi in my room worked very well. I was in room 202, a deluxe double room which had ample space and a very clean bathroom. The only complaint I can think of is the walls are a bit thin, but not so much that I was awakened. I was more concerned the creaky floor would wake other guests when I woke up at 3AM for my trip to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IAHMike
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Although the location is good, we were not very impressed with the rooms.
The lack of closet space, and the fact that the meagre breakfast needs to be taken up into the rooms, is quite clumsy.

If you do not hang up the sign "please make up room" the room remains unkept.

Due to airline problems, we were delayed and called, but were still charged for the rooms, although we strongly believe that the rooms were rented out for the night.

Staff is not familiar with the tourist attractions in the area.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank CaribbeanExperienced
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I slept in my bed only 3 hours only to wake up with over a dozen burning itchy red welts all over my body - both our beds were infested with bedbugs. Even with all the lights on, they were crawling over the pillows, duvets, dust ruffle etc.... Although this is more modestly priced hotel in the McGill U area, no hotel should have bedbug infestation of this magnitude.

This is on top of moldy shower curtains, stained carpets, chair upholstery and facing a pigeon infested and droppings crudded balcony next door to boot.

Unacceptable at any cost.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank BlueSiren
Reviewed 23 August 2008

One word summarizing about my experience: Bedbugs.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank Henri70
Reviewed 24 May 2008

This hotel is a great deal. A lot of people say this hotel wasn't good or such, but, honestly, for Montreal, the price is right. I booked a room from travelcuts.com and paid $65/night for two double beds, their premier room.

The room was quite small and the amenities were few, but I stayed in downtown Montreal for cheap in a rather modern and definitely clean hotel. I had to climb three flights of stairs to get to my room, but it was quiet, and every morning there were fresh croissants and juice/coffee for free. Also, I found a parking spot up the road for FREE. This is something that you'll never find in most downtown Canadian hotels--especially Montreal!

We were only a few minutes' walk from the Metro, so we easily hopped on there to get to Vieux Montreal and Le Plateau area.

This hotel is a definite must for those of you who want to explore the "real" area of the city and also the tourist areas and stay in a nice hotel at half the cost.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends