“Excellent hotel with great location and terrific facilities”

Hotel Omni Mont-Royal
Ranked #23 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We spent three nights between Xmas and New Years at the Omni Montreal, my husband and 11 year old son going twice each year to Montreal and often (as
we did this time) with friends (another family with an 8 and 11 year old). We had a wonderful time!! Having a spa right in the hotel is a huge advantage and we liked
the fitness room and the hot tub (and it's not very easy to find a hot tub in a Montreal
hotel). Also the manager, David Kanter, provides outstanding and rapid service. While reviews say that the rooms need updating, both our families thought this was one of the best Montreal hotels even with the present furniture: don't be discouraged by reviews that say the furniture is old because the whole hotel has an elegant feel. The suites are on high floors are especially nice: it is a good idea to ask for high floor rooms as we did. The included buffet breakfasts were also perfect: plenty of selection and nicely served. So, even though renovations are planned for late 2011, we still had absolutely no regrets about staying at the Omni right now. Last but hardly least, the location is ideal as other reviews have indicated. It is easy to get to good restaurants (try the Taj for Indian and a Chinese restaurant with Orchid in the name which is right on Rue Peel), great shopping on Rue Saint Catherine and two subway stops are within one or two blocks. Altogether a wonderful place for a Montreal vacation. We plan to come back, especially when the outdoor swimming pool opens in the summer.

hotel

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank nyctraveler66
OmniMgr, Manager at Hotel Omni Mont-Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2011

What a delight for us to read your review of The Hotel Omni Mont-Royal. We appreciate all of your kind compliments, especially of David, and we look forward to sharing them with our team. It was our pleasure to provide you with a wonderful stay and will look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 3 January 2011

The Omni Mont-Royal in Montreal is a great hotel, the staff are exceptionally accommodating and friendly. The switched effortlessly between English and French, which is good for those of us who only speak cursory French. The concierge desk has information on just about everything and the location is excellent for exploring the city on foot.

The hotel is located about 2 blocks from the nearest metro station - which is fairly easy to use. Also nearby is Rue St. Catherine which has a wide variety of shops and restaurants to suit almost every taste.

I opted for a a suite on this stay and the room was large and well appointed, but there were a few minor complaints. The carpeting was well worn and the guest bath smelled of mildew and had a broken drain plug in the tub.

I contacted the management about the items and they were responsive and indicated that they are in the process of a hotel wide renovation which is needed at this point.

If service and staff friendliness are important criteria for you, then the Omni is definitely worth a look. I've also stayed at the Omni in Chicago, IL and the staff there was excellent as well. This seems to be a common theme.

These folks really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. During my stay I decided to shop at a local outdoor market and dine in my room. The room service brought up a place setting - without charge for me to enjoy my lunch.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
OmniMgr, Manager at Hotel Omni Mont-Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2011

We enjoyed reading your review of The Hotel Mont-Royal and are delighted that you received such attentive service while staying with us. We are glad that your experience lived up to your expectations of Omni Hotels and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back so you may enjoy our renovated guestrooms.

Reviewed 8 December 2010

Great location, ideal for a family or a business traveller. This is the third time I stay at the hotel, and each time I tell myself I really need to make a comment to the Director of the hotel or the Marketing Director. When you stay in this Omni you will notice people other then the regular staff in the lobby constantly trying to help you, as far as pushing the elevator button. You would think this is a good thing, but I have to tell you its annoying!

One of my collegues was meeting me in the lobby, and I was said hello to by a man, to then be asked 2 seconds later if I could be helped, to then folowed to the front desk and asked if I was having a good day, then I walked away to see where my collegue was towards the elevator, and then he came back again greated both of us again, cut us off as we were walking and talking to tell me if we needed assistance. For piece sake, give it a rest! Then a lady with red hair came along speaking to the man who was in the lobby, and again they came for the kill with hello's and can we help you? I looked at them with a side grin and said im fine, but what I really wanted to say, was leave us the hell alone. The little man left following the lady who was obviously working at the hotel, but I assumed it was his boss since he suddendly became even more smiley and walked away with her.

So keep in mind this is not a large lobby, and so someone standing in the center of it or from what I observed walking back and forth gets a little old. As my collegue said to me, they must be having service issues and came up with this pre-school approach. I certainly hope its not the Marketing Director who came up with this, as this is not a great way to deal with customers. So other then having always someone in your face at lunch in the evening, which is absolutely annoying the hotel, needs some reno's but is generally in good shape. the location is amazing and foot steps away from the company I deal with.

I am scheduled to be back 3 days in mid January lets hope this stops, and someone with good sense tells them.

Best of luck!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank leeMcD
OmniMgr, Manager at Hotel Omni Mont-Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2010

We truly appreciate your review of The Omni Mont-Royal and your candid feedback regarding the management presence in our lobby. We hesitate to apologize for being too friendly but certainly understand that there is a fine line between being helpful and being kind to a fault. We will continue to have management presence in the lobby during busy times we do see that there is an opportunity for us to use your review as a training tool for our team. It may help them to recognize when it is appropriate to step back and just allow our guests to enjoy their time in our lobby. We are glad to hear that you plan on returning and hope that your next stay with us is nothing less than enjoyable!

Reviewed 24 November 2010

We have stayed at this hotel about 3 times or so and our stay has always been great. Last time we were there, the concierge convinced me to sign up for their rewards program (free) and with it comes a free upgrade. In the past we had stayed in the standard "no view" rooms (view of the top of another building). But with the upgrade we moved to a standard room still, but a little bigger and with a view of the park. Perfect! I was very grateful for the nice view. Service was always prompt and professional.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Hotel Omni Mont-Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2010

Not only are we thankful for your loyal patronage but also for your kind review. We are happy to hear that you are now taking advantage of our Select Guest program and we hope to welcome you back many times in the future!

Reviewed 23 November 2010

Very accommodating, excellent concierge, recommend highly

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family

We our glad you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to pass your compliments to our concierge team. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Room was huge. Bed very comfy. Service excellent. Location great. The room was a bit tired and dated. The bathroom, while clean, but had seen better days. Same with table and desk in room. The TV worked fine, but was old (not really such a big deal, but for the standard of fixtures these days, and the rate paid was a standard rate ....).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank travellingdoris

We are glad to hear that most of your stay at The Hotel Omni Mont-Royal was enjoyable. We are very excited that the new year will bring a new look for our hotel. Renovation plans are moving right along and we anticipate that by the end of 2011 our hotel will have decor that matches our service and location. We hope you will return to experience the new look!

Reviewed 9 November 2010

Stayed at Omni with my family October 23-26, 2010. We were there for both, business and pleasure. We are a well-traveled family (Europe, North America, Caribbean, etc.) and have stayed anywhere from 2 to 5 star hotels. We all agreed that very seldom if ever have we encountered such high level of personalized customer service, attention to detail, and warm and friendly reception. Both the room and the bathroom were spacious, beautiful, very clean and well-equipped. And it was quiet at night - a huge bonus for me as I am a light sleeper. No endlessly long hallways to run around and bang the doors! We also enjoyed the fitness centre, hot tub and sauna (very nice and hot, thank God, no men/women segregation here, you can all go in as a family to enjoy it).
Yes, the hotel is not brand new but it has this amazing understated "old school" elegance and charm about it.
Would stay there again with great pleasure.
P.S. The rates were great on Priceline for our dates.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

It is a joy for us to read your complimentary review of The Hotel Omni Mont-Royal. We are delighted that our associates took such great care of your family and we are thankful that you took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back again soon!