“Perfect for the Weekend”

Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine
Ranked #45 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
ajax, Ontario, Canada
“Perfect for the Weekend”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've tried different hotels around the downtown core, and Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine has been the best so far. It's an annual golf trip with fun times in the evening, so the hotel doesn't need to be fancy, just clean and comfortable for what effectively is a nap overnight.

Firstly, if you're looking for something swanky, this isn't for you. Having said that the lobby and rooms are well appointed and match the century age of the hotel itself. The hotel is located in the very active Quartier Latin just east of the downtown core.

Traffic

On the weekend of my stay, a part of St. Denis was closed due to a street circus. The hotel staff sent me an email early in the week advising of the closure and where I could park briefly to unload my luggage and golf clubs. While slightly inconvenient, the heads up was greatly appreciated.

Parking

I understand there are a couple of options. Mine was a city parking lot approximately a five minute walk away. The great thing about this was that my spot was effectively reserved and for only $10 per day, I had in and out privileges. Parking on site is not a possibility given the age of the location, but this was very convenient.

The Room

My room was a larger version, though not overly large, with a double/queen bed and a sofa. The bed was very comfortable (foam mattress) and the temperature was perfect. The bathroom was the most modern feature of the room; it had a decent shower and a whirlpool bath, accented with a large candle. Plenty of space to get ready for a night on the town.

Breakfast

A continental style breakfast is included in the price and includes eggs, ham, fresh fruits, cheese, coffee, and decent bagels (St. Viateur?) and different breads and a good croissant (Premiere Moison). It's simple fare, and maybe a little short on choice, but absolutely delicious and more than enough to start your day. You can sit inside or at one of the four tables located outside on St. Denis. You can also sit on the patio out back.

Staff

The Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. They allowed me to keep my clubs in the back room rather than lugging them up the stairs to my room. Check in and check out were a breeze, and they always greeted me whenever I was coming or going. Any questions about the area or the city were handled wonderfully.

The Neighborhood

St. Denis is a vibrant street with a number of "terrasses" and restaurants (Boul. St. Laurent also has a number of clubs and patios; this is where a lot of the Montrealers hang out). It has the feel of a neighborhood and a definite character. The central Metro hub (Berri-UQAM) is only about 5-10 minutes away, with Vieux Montreal only slightly farther. It's a great walking city. Try Juliette et Chocolat just south of the hotel. Also the world famous Schwartz's is about a five to 10 minute drive away (The Main is also good for your smoked meat fix) and La Banquise is slightly farther north and they have the best poutine in the city and are open 24 hours.

I can't speak highly enough about my experience with Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine, and I will definitely be staying there next time I go to Montreal. Many thanks to the staff for all your fine work.

Room Tip: Indulge in a larger room, it's worth it. Stay on the second or third floor to avoid the street...
Green Features: As with most hotels now, Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine offers the choice of reusing your towels rather than replacing them all.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were a little surprised when we arrived, the outside of the hotel looked tired, the room was down narrow stairs to an outside entrance and the room was basic. This aside, the room was clean and quiet. The reception staff were extremely helpful and spoke good English.
The hotel we discovered was well appointed for exploring all parts of Montreal. The breakfast was very french! choices of croissants and cold meats/cheese, muffins but plenty of it.
We were surprised and delighted that the road was closed whilst we were there for a festival which added another level to our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
antoine771, Owner at Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for this comment. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in general (room, staff, breakfast, location). I understand you had a Budget room (our smallest option). Those rooms are located at ground floor (street level) in our interior courtyard. Our reception is above the street level so you do go down some stairs to access those rooms by our exterior corridors. I know there is a lot of information on our web site but you will find this information there as we try to be as clear as possible to our guest.

I precise that when St-Denis street is closed to car circulation in front of our hotel, we do send an e-mail to our guest to let them know. I am not sure if it was the case here but I want to precise it. I am glad you enjoyed it !

We do agree with you that our exterior carpet and stairs needs a revamp as I said to a previous comment. This will be done as soon as the high season slows down so we do not disturb too much circulation. We got caught with our room renovation ( we renovated 6 rooms in the Standard room category) this winter and spring and we missed some time to do everything. I do apologize. I thank future guest for their patience concerning this matter.

We thank you and we hope you will stay with us again.

Hallowell, Maine, USA
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is a wonderful location. We were up for the Jazz festival. It is a short walk to the Metro station. The breakfast is wonderful with the best croissants ever! Our room was spacious with a seating area separate from the bedroom. The room was quiet, extremely clean and had great A/C. The sweet deal with 50% off the third night was great!
The small drawback was the closure of the street for activities. We needed to carry our luggage up the street to the hotel. We were notified of this by the hotel prior to our arrival which was extremely appreciated.
The staff is very professional and helpful. We needed our ice bucket filled frequently which they did for us (until the ice maker couldn't keep up..it was hot outside.)
This is OUR place in Montreal and will be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had room 4, which is a small room on the first floor. It was clean, had a comfortable bed, easily-accessible wifi, good cable, clean and functional (but small) bathroom. Great deal for an economy room. The concierge was very helpful in making arrangements for local attractions and giving advice. The continental breakfast was very good with excellent croissants, good coffee, scrambled eggs and ham, fresh fruit and yogurt. Had no problem at all with noise and slept well. Location in the Quartier Latin on St. Denis was wonderful and made the city very walkable. Many great and varied restaurants are within easy walking distance, as is the great jazz club, Diese Onze. The quartier des spectacles is also close. The hotel is not really historic and is not fancy but has a certain charm and warmth that makes it a place we'd definitely stay again. This was the first time my wife and I had spent a significant vacation together since our kid was born 15 years ago and it was a great romantic weekend. The only caveat was that, while it was cool most of the time there, the AC in the room didn't seem to do a whole lot as it got warmer.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Room 1 seems to be right next to the staircase, something another traveler co...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for this comment. We are happy you liked your stay with us.

We replaced the air conditionning in room number 4.

We look forward to welcome you back then !

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay and especially the breakfasts which were nicely presented. We wished we'd had a way of boiling water for tea and passed on that request so next time we might be lucky!
Air conditioning was welcome but noisy and apart from that everything was good. Walking distance to the Orleans Express Bus Company, many restaurants and the Old Port.
Cost was reasonable after Vancouver prices and good value too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
antoine771, Owner at Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for this nice comment ! Coffee machine in your room can be used to warm up water for your tea. Following your comment, we also left a note in the room that we also have kettles on request at reception as we do not have space to put one kettle in each room.

Thank you so much. We look forward to welcome you back

Moraga, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel has a wonderful location. If you take Bus 747 (runs 24/7) from the airport to the end of the line, you are about two blocks from the hotel. There are two Metro stops only 5 minutes away and many many restaurants to choose from. You are right in the Latin Quarter and a short walk from The Village and the Old Town. The staff at the front desk was very helpful in suggesting restaurants, making a reservation for us, and giving us tips on what to do while visiting Montreal. My room #3 was located in the back of the building in the lower level so it was very quiet.
The breakfast was very good and satisfying.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FarmerRK
Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I can't explain enough how wonderful this hotel and it's staff were to my family so I will keep this as concise as I can. The hotel is located about 2.5 blocks from the metro station on the famous Rue St Denis and it was surrounded by cool shops and restaurants. It was extremely convenient to walk a bit and access Montreal via the metro.

The Hotel is gorgeous inside with beautiful wood work. We reserved a budget room months in advance and it was perfect for my family and I even with all of our "junk" we travel with. the breakfast was delicious and the attendant was courteous and kept the foods stocked up.

I can't say enough about the Front desk staff. Dorianna, the Manager Marc, and especially Charles. When my car broke down literally in front of the hotel as we checked in Charles did some phone calling and found a garage in the city that was able to fix the vehicle in a day, keeping our vacation right on schedule!

I HIGHLY recommend Auberge le d'Antoine if you are coming to Montreal!

Room Tip: They are able to sell some beer and wines on premise but you must consume them on premise - but it w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank B3Spooky
antoine771, Owner at Auberge le Jardin d'Antoine, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for this wonderful comment ! We will proudly show it to our team. I already congratulates Charles about his great work !

Thank you so much.