“Decorative museum dead for many years.”

Montreal Decorative Arts Museum (Musee des Arts Decoratifs de Montreal)
Ranked #314 of 414 things to do in Montreal
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Well I don,t really understand the two quite recent reviews of the Museum of Decorative Art since it closed more than a decade ago. I cannot link the sculpture that the first reviewer wrote about with any museum that I know of in Mtl althought th "chasse-galerie" fold tale is very well known in French Canada. Was even shown in the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
Well getting back to the hearth of the matter There was a decorative arts many years ago, first in the Chateau Dufresne near the Olympic Stadium and later in the basement of the Museum of Fine-Arts. then the the whole collection was given to the MMFA and now occupies a whole pavillon (aptly named Stewart, the names of the philantropist founders).
So yes you can get a great decorative art and design collection at the MMFA and it is completely free but don,t expect anything else anywhere in town. so when I wrote that I visited this past June I mean the MMFA.

4  Thank rickb
Reviewed 8 May 2012

this museum really so great :)) we can see anything from different so dont miss it

Reviewed 27 March 2012

A wonderful place. My favorite piece was a wood carving of a damned canoe trip. The men in the boat look truly miserable. It is a wonderfully executed scene. The attention to detail is delightful. It is also very much in a folk tradition that I am appreciating more and more. Beautiful items created for the rich and powerful are not nearly as interesting to me as work created by and for working--class people.

Note - I am a non-believer. I did not chose this piece because of any religious motivation. I currently, do not hold on to any superstitions about an actual embodiment of evil whether physical or meta-physical. I am very familiar with many myths after spending 12 years in the Catholic school system. I found this little sculpture to be much more fun and creative than most of the damnation stories I heard/read as a child.

1  Thank JIMTRK16

Travellers who viewed Montreal Decorative Arts Museum (Musee des Arts Decoratifs de Montreal) also viewed

Been to Montreal Decorative Arts Museum (Musee des Arts Decoratifs de Montreal)? Share your experiences!