“Don't stay on the 16th floor!!”

Hotel Le Germain Montreal
Ranked #10 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Ontario, Canada
“Don't stay on the 16th floor!!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I have enjoyed staying here many times and he even more often on business. We liked everything about it...the rooms, comfortable style, service and location. Unfortunately we won't go back.
Our 1 night stay on the 16th floor, last weekend was disturbed by a noisy, labouring air conditioning unit on the floor above us. We gave up trying to sleep and after midnight were given a room on the 8th floor. The next day we awoke very tired and frustrated. What amazed me was that, when approached, the hotel's General Manager denied any previous knowledge or complaints about ANY noise situation on the 16th floor. The lady at the front desk was sure aware of it and even went so far to say that we would be receiving a voucher or something similar from the hotel to make up for our inconvenience. Ummm....something is desperately lacking here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaledonEastLou
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear CaledonEastLou,
First of all, thank you for your review and your kinds words on our product.

I am sorry to read, based on your comments that your experience was not as good as expected. As mention during our discussion and via email as well, I wanted to make sure we identify correctly the cause of the noise in the room so we can properly correct the situation. Our Maintenance Director has finally solved the issue in that speicific room. I am sorry we gave you my colleagues and I the impression we were not on the same page. I want to assure you that we have your comfort and well being at heart and if there is something wrong with one room - or on a specific floor-, we will fix it as soon as possibe and find solution so your stay with us is comfortable.
As mention in my emailI I am pleased to offer a discount on your next stay, so you can live a proper Germain experience as we have not exceed your expectation during your last time with us. We want to give you a good reason to come back here at the hotel.
I really hope we will have the chance of welcoming you again.
Jacques-Alexandre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stay at a lot of hotels and this hotel is one of my favorites - its a gem! Boutique style, the rooms are really nice and the beds are super comfy. I found the staff super helpful and they all went out of their way to make sure you were being taken care of. The location is amazing and it's very reasonably priced (hotwire for $160/night)-it includes a really great breakfast. Montreal is one of my favorite cities and I would definitely go back st Hotel Le Germain.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Newfiechic,
Thank you for your review and your kind comments on your last stay with us.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Au plaisir,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed one night at Hotel Germain in Montreal. It is a very nice hotel near McGill University, well located overall. The service was good; the room very comfortable with all you can expect; free internet and the room was nicely appointed. I had breakfast and it was good with a nice selection. I will come back to Le Germain for my next stop in Montreal. The only advise I would give management is to get better quality suits to their receptionists. The black suit uniform was worn out and of poor quality and should be changed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank talamenthe
Dear talamenthe,
Thank you for your review and your kind words about the hotel, and thank you as well for your comments about the suits of our employees. We have been in the process of changing them for a few weeks now, and have finally received everything about two weeks ago. Our receptionnists now wear a grey suit, with a blue shirt and a blue tie. For the female, we always have the beautiful Marie St Pierre dresses.
You will have to come back soon to give me your comments on our summer suits. And for the fall, we will change the tie to a red one, so it fits with the outside colours.

We look forward to welcome you soon.
Warmest regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The room was great - loved the shower and the comfy bed. Even the Queen Superior room didn't feel cramped. The location was also excellent - just around the corner from all the best shopping in Montreal.

However there were a few small issues that make me feel inclined to book somewhere else when I return next summer. We arrived 45 minutes before check-in, and our room wasn't ready yet, which was a little bit hard to believe. We didn't receive turn-down service on our first night. We requested a one hour late check-out on our last day, which was swiftly denied and seemed rather chintzy. The continental breakfast that was included in the room was not viewed as a benefit, as it meant that we could not explore Montreal for fun, unique brunch options. I would have much rather paid a bit less and not had breakfast included in the rate.

Of course, these negatives are all relatively minor, but they do add up. I will definitely be trying a new hotel on my next visit!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rebecca S
Thank you for your review and comments.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed our room as well as our location.

You visited us during a busy period, when almost all our rooms were sold. We try our best every days to accomodate our guests by giving them their room as soon as possible, and try at the same time to find a balance and allow late check out, so people can enjoy their room and our hotel as long as possibe. I am sorry to read that we have not been able to give you your key, even 45 minutes before check in, as well as a late check out.

Your comment about our turndown service made my team and I thought and we are evaluating the change of our procedure regarding turndown and see what we can do so the experience of each of our guests reach their expectation.

Once again, thank you for your comments. It helps us to be better.

I really hope we will have the chance of welcoming you in a near future.
Sydney
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was a beautiful hotel. The rooms were decked out with everything you could need and were spacious. There was even a walk in closet!
The staff were very nice and attentive and went out of their way to make sure you had what you needed.
I guess my only issue was the room felt 'cold'. I did not feel 100% comfortable in my room and as such had a terrible nights sleep.
I think the way the room was set up and perhaps my view of office buildings directly across from me made it feel this way.
The bed was facing the door which did not feel right either.
The bathroom was modern and nice but only had a shower, no bath. I like to have a bath when I am travelling at night for relaxing.
It was the most expensive hotel I stayed during my business trip across Canada and my least favorite. Saying that though, it was a stunning hotel just not to my taste.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Natalie O,
Thank you for your review.
We have different room set up and configuration, even for the same room category. If we have the chance of welcoming you again, we will be more than happy to reserve a room ending by x03. It is a deluxe room, with a bathtub, as well as a street view, and the bed is not facing the door. This room will certainly meet your expectations! We would be pleased to explain you all the rooms differences upon your next reservation, as well as plan a tour of the different room types upon your arrival to make sure the room we will reserve you suits your needs.
We sincerely hope to have the chance of welcoming you again,
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Wonderful magnificent weekend in Montreal, celebrating our anniversary.
Andre is the best Concierge in the city and is absolutely amazing. This gentleman could not do enough for us and really knows, the ins and outs of magical Centre Ville. This hotel does not disappoint, from the comfort of the rooms, to the in house breakfast and all the complementary extras. We will be seeing you again!

Kindest Regards
From Ottawa

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank J L
Dear J L,
Thank you very much for your kind words.
I will definitely share them with André and our team.
We look forward to welcome you again really soon.
Warm regards from Montréal,
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed for vacation in Montreal at Hotel La Germain and it was a wonderful experience! Traveling for work and staying at so many major hotel chains, it was refreshing to enjoy very nice stylish, boutique accommodations that offered the value of great service, lovely complimentary breakfast and free WiFi. The staff were helpful, the bed was quite comfortable, you were supplied with free in-room water and more for day excursions. The apples at the elevator were a great touch. I absolutely loved that they had a recycling container right in the room-this is the first time I have ever seen this in a hotel. Makes so much sense it's hard to understand why others haven't done this, but great to see. Very convenient to the metro as well, great downtown location. Will visit again!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank TimetoC
Dear TimetoC,
Thank you for your review.
The green apples are a Germain Hotel signature. You will find them in our five properties across Canada.
I am pleased to read that those details made a difference.
We look forward to welcome you during your next trip to Montreal.
Warm regards,