“I don't get it!”

Toronto, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,043 helpful votes
“I don't get it!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I recently spent two nights at Le Germain and frankly don't understand what all the fuss is about. Yes, it is a "boutique" hotel and has some so-called trendy aspects to it including the glass enclosed shower which opens up into the bedroom, bare painted concrete ceilings, etc. but I could help but feel that everything was a thin veneer on what really is an ordinary hotel and not worth anywhere near the $229/night I paid.

Some additional comments:
- the building exterior is hideous - late 1960s/early 1970s concrete slabs
- the small floors feel like a downscale apartment building - in fact it might very well have been one at some point in time
- the gym is on the fifth floor and is one of the saddest I've ever seen in a hotel - one treadmill, a few weights and dim lighting
- the chair at the desk felt like something taken from a primary school - low and make of hard, moulded plastic - very uncomfortable to work from
- and why put the desk right under the flat screen TV - very disturbing to have it on while you work at the desk

I've stayed in both Le Germain hotels in Toronto and they are vastly superior. I won't be back to the one in Montreal.

P.S. If you're thinking of holding a business meeting here don't bother. The small meeting room (there is only one) on the fourth floor is grim at best.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear John B,
Thank you for your comments.
I am sorry to read that we have not met your expectations here at Le Germain Montréal.
I took good note of your comments. When we will make changes in our room, we will certainly take them into consideration.

Jacques-Alexandre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed here recently for one night. Check-in was fine. The room was nice with a few maintenance issues left unaddressed. Most notably a baseboard trim piece not attached upon entrance. Otherwise, the room was well appointed. The restaurant was good. The front desk service was a bit lacking especially when requesting a late check-out. It seemed like that was a very tall order. I'd return for sure and hope for the service to pick up a little.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear tenmile1,
Thank you for sharing your comments on your last stay with us.
I took good note of your comments on service and maintenance and I have made the proper follow up with my colleagues.
Service is really important to us and we want your stay to be comfortable and simple.
We look forward to welcome you again soon.
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel boutique, located in the heart of downtown Montreal, is an oasis of tranquility. The personnel is courteous and does everything to make you feel like at home. The rooms are very well decorated and have the devices needed for a nice stay. Bed is remarkably comfortable. Breakfast included in the price of the room is copious. I have been to this hotel more than fifty times over the years and I was never disappointed. This is truly the place in Montreal.

Room Tip: Rooms ending by 02.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chablis140701
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Chablis140701,
It is and always will be a pleasure to welcome you at Le Germain Montréal.
Thank you for sharing your good comments with us.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 26 February 2014

A couple of weeks ago I reviewed the Le Germain in Calgary and said it was outstanding. I have reviewed this one in Montreal on one or more previous stays. Here are the reasons it is a favorite. I like that they are smaller, the staff tends to remember guests. The hotels are modern and contemporary. The rooms are nice, the beds comfortable the bathroom and shower are spacious and nice, the internet is free, I enjoy the breakfast-in Montreal that includes fluffy eggs and Montreal bagels that I enjoy. I like that I can fix a latte for myself before I leave for the airport early in the morning, Finally I have found the staff both here and at the Calgary Le Germain to be friendly and helpful. I have business in Toronto coming up and even though there are several hotels closer to the office I will visit, I will likely stay at one of the two Le Germain hotels there.

Room Tip: I like higher floor rooms, but that could just be my preference.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cordpar
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear corpar,
Thank you very much for your comments. They are really appreciated.
We love that you love our hotels!
We sincerely look forward to welcome you in Toronto, or back here in Montreal or Calgary.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Several problems with this hotel.
We went for a 2 day stay to experience the Laurie Raphael Restaurant.
1) Prices advertised on web are not what you get charged.
2) Excuses start you come in the door, adding parking fees.
3) Rooms are nice but Beds are sagging.
4) Noisy in the halls. Maintenance closets are located in the center of the hall and the noise goes on all day and night.
5) As a destination point, location is perfect.
6) However the hotel does not communicate with the restaurant. They will call you 3 times before arrival to make sure you are going, check your food allergies but wont communicate this to the restaurant.
7) Restaurant, 5 out of 10. We went on a 10 course get away package, Hotel did not communicate our info to the restaurant, at one point the head waiter announced loudly that we did not buy any package and had to go confirm if we were lying about the package we purchased. Apologies with 2 free drinks.
8) Articles about the restaurant boast locally grown unique dishes. A lot of words to describe style but no taste or vision. I've eaten at 2 restaurants in Moncton that would put this restaurant to shame. Style and no flair for foodies. Try Bistro33 or Louis Oyster Bar by the way, they know food and service.
9) Managed by kids, you can't blame the staff as much as the management, The people working there mean well but they are not "Hoteliers" they are kids, under payed and some working 2 jobs within the hotel to make ends meet.
10) Many more packages and great restaurants in Montreal, my advice would be to avoid the Germain. Somebody is clearly trying to make more money off they staff and visitors, rather then offer what you pay for.

I would have paid 25% more to get what they advertise.

Room Tip: Ask them not to give you the 8th floor looking out onto heating ducts and roof tops as a deluxe suit...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jean C
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Jean C,

I am sorry to read that we have not met your expectation the last time your were with us. I am taking your comments seriously and have met with the restaurant's owner as well as our front desk staff to review your comments. Please rest assure that transparency, satisfaction of our guests, their comfort, their well being are important to my colleagues and myself.
I would be pleased to discuss the situation with you.
If you wish, you may contact me directly at jpaquet@germainmontreal.com

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

This is a boutique hotel chosen by a friend. The modern style is great. The bar is excellent. After a day of climbing the hills of Montreal a comfortable bed is appreciated and was missed. The rooms are nice the bathroom is great. The ceiling is another detail missed or I did not understand what they were going for. The breakfast was hot and good once you figured where everything was. They are working with a small space for the spread.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Phrogtours
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Phrogtours,
Thank you for your comment and review.
I am sorry to read you have not found our bed comfortable, and concerned at the same time as the comfort of our rooms and our beds is certainly one of our priority.
I would really appreciate if you could send me a private note by email for letting me know in which room you were so we can do a proper investigation and make proper changes. My email adress is jpaquet@germainmontreal.com.

Thank you for your time and comment.
I hope we will have the chance of welcoming you back in a near future.
Warm regards,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 February 2014

In Montreal on business Feb 3-5. Location: well situated to Sherbrooke Ave and to my business meeting on Levesque 6 blocks away. Lots of places to eat within an easy walk.
Staff: all very friendly; comfortably shifted to english for me in this 66% french speaking city. Notes on staff: At the desk, Abby was really helpful: I had to leave at 600 am to catch a flight before breakfast was available- she reserved a cab, and suggested a breakfast box that I could take with me: as I blearily checked out at 600am, the cab was there and so was the breakfast box (thanks Abby!). The doorman jumped to open the hotel doors when they saw me (I am no one important). Barman who heated my gran marnier was friendly. The people are very nice.
Noise: this place was quiet, thank god. Only 1 small issue: the door to the ice machine on floor 9 was always left open: I closed it before I went to bed and could not hear it. Should be an auto door closer on that room.
Food: very good.
Rooms: towels are excellent; bed was great! Moulton brown soaps. Free wi fi. A coffee machine in the rooms with free coffee would be better than asking me to pay for a coffee packet. And maybe a better reading light. I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear tim3102014,
Thank you very much for your comment.
I shared it with Abby! We were pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us.
I also have a good news, as we recently decided to offer the Nespresso coffee in our room. It is part of the minibar, but we consider that having a good coffee in the comfort of your room in the morning is certainly one of the best way to start the day! It is now included in the rate of your stay, as well as the deluxe continental breakfast and wifi.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon at Le Germain Montréal.