“Thank you Andre Cloutier”

Hotel Le Germain Montreal
Ranked #10 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Albany, New York
“Thank you Andre Cloutier”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Though I was not a guest at the hotel I was treated like a VIP by the Concierge Andre Cloutier. When I stopped to get directions and advice from the doorman he brought me in to see Andre who could not be more welcoming then some employees of hotels where I was a guest. He not only gave me advice he gave me a VIP pass to a club and his card to bring to other place. Given his hospitality should I stay in Montreal again I will stay there

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear VacationTony,
Thank you for your kind words. We sincerely think that hospitality goes beyond our walls. I am pleased to read that our team and André took good care of you.

We look forward to welcome you in a near future so we will have the chance to make you live the whole Germain experience.

Jacques-Alexandre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Laval, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed with my wife for a couple of nights at this place, and believe me... it was a nice discovering! The rooms are updated and the bathrooms decorated with nice details that will spoil you. The staff were all incredible, my wife asked for toothpaste and the clerk was so helpful and knock our door minutes later.

This is the best hotel I have stayed in in a long time, I recommend anyone to stay at it.

Room Tip: higher floors or 8th f
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Richard S,
Thak you very much for your review. I am pleased to read your wife and yourself enjoyed your time with us. Our team will always be there if you need anyhting, including toothpaste!

We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had looked forwards to our return to this well located and reasonably priced boutique hotel in Montreal, remembering the interesting decor, good breakfast, and friendly staff. All of these were still there, fortunately, but did not make up for the disaster that was our three night stay. To make a long story short, despite our insistence at check in that we had booked a large room at the back, we were shoehorned into the smallest hotel room we, as a couple, have ever had to endure. And it was directly over the Ave Kennedy, with all its road noise and construction. Instead of the luxurious (and romantic) king of our memory, we were like sardines on a "queen" bed, which truly did reflect a certain political attitude to royalty, as it must have been the smallest "queen" ever manufactured. The room was so small one of us had to sit on the bed if the other wanted to move from one side to the other. There was only one bathrobe, one evening water bottle/glass setup, etc.; this room was clearly intended for a single traveller, and , as such would have been very adequate. For two people, for three nights,it was a disaster. The staff listened to our complaints politely, but were unable to move us as the hotel was fully booked. The insult came, when upon checkout, not only were we charged a higher rate than we had been quoted through booking.com, the staff discovered we had indeed booked a larger room at the back !! The "compensation" for the hotel's error, and our considerable inconvenience, amounted to charging us the rate we had booked, though for a much smaller, more basic room.
With the proliferation of hotels in this part of Montreal, needless to say we won't be back.
And, as the previous reviewer said, no black out curtains and the user-unfriendly a/c were just added insults. We also never saw an explanatory letter to explain the filthy windows.

Room Tip: Couples definitely need to book the king-bed rooms. Rooms at the back are the quietest. Best overall...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Quadracat
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Quadracat,
Thank you for your comments.
My colleague informed me of the situation regarding your reservation. I want to ensure you that the rate you paid was the rate for the room you had, so a lowest rate than the one you reserved. It was indeed a mistake on our end, through our reservation system, and I am deeply sorry for that. That is the reason why we offered you credit of $50 and a complimentary night in a deluxe room for a future stay. It is important for my colleagues and myself that you enjoy your experience at Le Germain Montreal, so we will be pleased to welcome you back.
As mention in a previous comment, we brought some changes to our AC system and we will add instructions next to the AC control in each room so it will be easier for our guests. Cleanliness is really important to us. As mention as well in a previous comment, we are currently working on 2 facades of building causing some dust in a few of our windows. All the windows will be deeply cleaned as soon as possible, as we always do 2 or 3 times a year.

I sincerely hope we will have the chance of welcoming you and your family again soon.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week in the Executive Suite on the 16th floor. We liked everything about it at the start. The service was exceptional, the room service was great, amenities were nice too. We were in town for a wedding and were travelling with an infant so the kitchenette in the room was great to have. The king size bed and linens were very comfortable and we would have had a great night's sleep had it not been for the noise from other rooms being carried through the vents and into our room. Conversations, laughing kids and other noises could be heard intermittently throughout the night and during the day from the vent above the bed.

Ultimately, we were disappointed with our stay after splurging on this high end hotel. I wouldn't stay here again as we'd likely need the same room again and would not want a repeat of the same experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Shal M,
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to read you did not get a good and relaxing night sleep.
I would definitely look at what we can do to resolve the issue you mention.
I sincerely hope we will have the chance of welcoming you again.

canada
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This otherwise modern & well-situated hotel is in need of a refresh of its bedding & climate control. Decor is modern, but basic amenities, particularly beds and the room's climate system, are showing their age.

Pros: excellent service & staff, whom fetched room keys & kept abreast of needs. Decor is modern, and the included continental breakfast features thoughtful local delicacies such as MTL bagels. Newspapers are door delivered, rooms feature media consoles, storage space, and wireless wi-fi.

Cons: the beds are unacceptable. Surveying two suites revealed lumpy, uneven, soft mattresses, with dips in the middle and hard edges. I woke up with a back ache, and I am a fit, relatively youthful traveller. Poor mattresses are unacceptable in any hotel of this (supposed) calibre. Windows were extremely dirty and covered in bird feces. Blinds do not keep out light; black-out curtains would be advised, also for noise protection. Street-facing rooms are noisy with MTL's summer construction on rue President-Kennedy. Climate system in the room is slow to lower temperature in summer heat, taking 12 hours to lower the room by a single degree celsius. The a/c system also resets each afternoon for no apparent reason, thus *turning on the heat* (!!) to warm the room up to 22c, thereby defeating the entire purpose of client-controlled climate.

I stayed here as a journalist covering MTL arts + culture and given the competition in boutique hotels in this price range in MTL — many of which I have now sampled — I would not return until the hotel has addressed the above concerns. Would it do so — especially attending to beds, climate, and black-out curtains — it would find itself easily classed as 4 stars.

Room Tip: Standard rooms feature small queens & cramped quarters and are best suited for a single travelle...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear slackerofthemind ,
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to read you appreciated our team and service, but I am sorry as well at the same time reading you have not appreciate your time with us as much as we would like.
I totally agree with you, comfort of the beds and matresses are really important. Actually, it is certainly one of the trademark of Groupe Germain. I would really appreciate if you could send me an email at jpaquet@germainmontreal.com for letting me know in which room you were. We will have a look at the matress and change it. The quality of your sleep is really important to me and my team. Regarding the a/c system, I am pleased to let you know we are currently working on it, so it will be more efficient and easy for our guests.
Regarding the windows, as you may have noticed the letter in the room, we are currently working on the facade of the building. We still have one week to go. Afterwards, our team will clean all the windows, which we do at least twice a year. Looking through our windows, to appreciate the view of our beautiful city, is certainly something I want our guests to enjoy.
Be ensure I took good note of all your comments.

I sincerely hope we will have the chance of welcoming you again in a near future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My boyfriend and I spent the last weekend at this hotel, and we absolutely loved it! Very modern style; love the painted black ceilings and spacious rooms! We stayed in the deluxe king suite and it exceeded our expectations by far! The breakfast wasn't very elaborate but definitely all you need (and is included in the price of the room)...im still craving the delicious peanut butter that they had! We will definitely be coming back to this hotel! Great location to downtown!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Jessica D,
Thank you very much for you kind words.
We sincerely hope to welcome you back soon for another weekend getaway.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Le Germain on a business trip and have to say this Solid high end option in Montreal. spacious rooms, great location and attentive staff service at the hotel. that said, I found the restaurant rather pretentious: very small portions (they do indicate that they are appetiser size) and overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014
Jacques-Alexand... P, General Manager at Hotel Le Germain Montreal, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Alejandro D,
Thank you for your review and your kind words. It was a pleasure to have you with us.
I will definitely share your comments with the owner of the restaurant.

We look forward to welcome you back soon at Le Germain Montréal.