Epik Hotel Montreal
LHotel(Montreal)
  • Room Service
Hotel St Paul(Montreal)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsstone wallscroissantsb bold townthe penthouseclip clopsmall hotelrue saint paulelectric fireplacerain showerno elevatorwithin walking distancenotre dame basilicafresh fruitevery morningcomfortable bedsperfect location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband Darrin and I stayed at your fine hotel on March 15th for an overnight. We had such an amazing time and absolutely loved it there. Paul was so helpful when we arrived. He helped us with our luggage and got us settled in right away. He was friendly and welcoming each time we stopped back in during the day. We also wanted to say how lovely the lady was who worked that evening. We apologize as we are not able to recall her name (we think it was Lindsey?). So sorry. She was very helpful in making us dinner reservations.

On Sunday, we woke up to a gorgeous buffet of fresh coffee, orange juice, pastries, fruit, quiche, etc.! We love to visit Montreal and are building a business up your way so we will be frequenting your fine establishment. Again, we can't say enough kind words about Paul and your staff!!! Our stay was perfect! Thank you!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I am picky and this place was, quite simply, one of the best hotels i have ever stayed. From the warm hello when we arrived and immediate valet service to chef Frank's homemade jam and french toast casserole for breakfast, i was wowed throughout my stay.
The quaintness and old style charm was delightful
The lobby and breakfast room, newly renovated, is gorgeous, and The room was clean, comfortable and chic. I just loved the stone walls and exposed timbers. The bathroom is functional and clean, but in need of an updte (i am told bathrooms are being renovated).
Paul, the manager was delightful - a class act! Engaging and chatty with kids and adults alike.
The breakfast was way beyond exceptional - a huge thank tou to chef Frank for the lovely artisan fare - fresh local delights - croissants, homemade breads, pate and jam, local cheeses, fresh fruit and stove-top hit chocolate for our kids.
We have travelled alot and have stayed in many exceptional hotels - none have impressed us as much as Sans Soucy. We will be back and would highly recommend this gem of a hotel in Old Montreal.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Doobner
Paul I, General Manager at Epik Hotel Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

The renovated bathrooms are almost done! Stay tuned for updated photos.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My two children and I were fortunate to be able to rent a room for one night (the rooms were booked for subsequent days) in this wonderful B&B upon our arrival in Montreal last week, as we sought to celebrate the new year in Old Montreal. We were all in awe of the building's beauty, the thought-provoking art on display and, especially, the "art" of Daniel Soucy and his staff. They have created a warm, wonderful, personal and....yes, European...experience for visitors. We just can't wait to go back....to sit in and look out of the most wonderful casement windows in Old Montreal (from what we saw in subsequent days!), eat more of the best croissants we had ever eaten, enjoy more laughs, stories and smiles with the owner and his staff (who couldn't be more welcoming and warm if they tried) and to prove that we've been working on our French! Jean Michel, merci pour votre humour et patience avec nos luttes linguistiques! Nous allons continuer à essayer! Expect to see us this summer...we just adored our experience at Auberge Les Passants du Sans Soucy and will never forget it.

Room Tip: We had room 202...and loved it! It got a little crowded when we opened the sofa bed....but we're not complaining. We just crawled over it to get around and found it added character to our stay!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Eve P
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We had a dinner reservation to celebrate my husband’s birthday at an Old Montreal restaurant so we decided to extend the celebration and spend the night close by.

We chose the suite and we enjoyed having a closed room, this cut off any outside noise. The room is on street level and is right off the lobby. The living room is very nice and has an electric fireplace (gets a little noisy after a while, it makes a ticking noise) and has a TV on top of it. The brick wall is spectacular. I enjoyed having artwork in the room.

The bed was comfortable although a bit small. The bathroom was just OK with a regular bathtub with jets.

We opted to have a continental breakfast in our room and that was fabulous. Fresh baked croissants (chocolate croissants were amazing!), delicious jam, fruit salad, orange juice and a pot of coffee. Truly the best part of our stay.

There are two reasons why I only give it 3 stars. First you’ll notice that they only give you a start date to the high season, no end date, which seems to be variable. In my opinion, mid-November in Montreal is nowhere near being high season, it’s a pretty dreary time of year. When I called to book the room, the person quoted me the price for high season. When I told him I was surprised that he wasn’t giving me the price for the low season, he offered to lower the price slightly. I agreed but I have to say I regretted it right away. In their defense, the definition of high season is written down at the front desk (ends at the beginning of January I believe).

The other thing is that the room was “cleanish”. I understand that it’s an old building and it must be hard to maintain but there’s no reason why there should be cobwebs, dust bunnies and hair in the bathroom (not ours, we had just gotten in). I know that the owners answer reviews so they’ll probably say that it’s not true but I swear all of this is true. They can take a look for themselves, it’s probably still there: big cobweb in the corner where there’s a table with wine glasses on it (nice touch by the way) and lots of dust bunnies under the bed.

I don’t mean this to be a bad review but I expect better quality at this price point. It is a charming inn and the location can’t be beat.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank IceseafromMtl
Reviewed 18 November 2013

One of the bright spots to having to reschedule my visit to Montreal was snagging a room at the San Soucy. We have the fabulous room 101 at the front of the hotel and there has been minimal street noise to remind us we are only a story above. The walls are the original stone with beautiful wooden beams on the ceiling and thick as your arm doors. Modern bathrooms, very comfortable beds with top of the line bedding and delicious breakfasts made fresh daily. The lobby doubles as an art gallery and the reception desk is understated, like you are entering a private club. You feel rather classy and special. And, the best of Vieux-Montreal is just steps outside the door. rue St Paul is a main street and you will find art galleries, souvenir shops and a plethora of restaurants to choose from. Just across the street is the classic French bistro, Le Bourlingueur; the homey polish restaurant, Stash; and around the corner the Bonaparte. The Pointe-a-Calliere and the Centre des Sciences are on the next street. I could not have asked for a better located place. It definitely lives up to the high ratings in Fodors and Frommers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family