“Relaxing, elegant thanksgiving trip”

Hotel Bonaventure Montreal
Ranked #51 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Relaxing, elegant thanksgiving trip”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We usually do a cruise or go to Miami, but we wanted to make it short and not fly. We live in Lake Placid so Montreal is a short hike. This hotel was the answer. It is smaller than most Hiltons, but the outdoor pool and romantic lobby was perfect. The shopping is accessible by just going underground of the hotel. I was thrilled; we had a beautiful time great food and the sun came out and we were able to walk around the old city.

One point I want to mention. Everything is very expensive and if you are like me and use your credit card for a pack of gum prepare to see a ton of fees on your statement. If I had to do it again I would have taken the $$ out of the bank, found a good rate and paid in cash. I do not remember this from years ago. (it has been over 15 years) but I have a wonderful time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alethea V
Christina P, Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Fantastic review! Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community and for choosing us for your getaway. I am happy that you enjoyed the whole experience, but I am a little puzzled by your note about fees on your statement. Please do not hesitate to contact us at the hotel, we'd be pleased to explain the items on your folio. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This hotel is a penthouse hotel, which means it is located on the upper floor of an office building. It's an interesting experience gettin to the sleeping rooms from the front desk but not a bad thing. Candidly the hotel is what you'd expect from a full service Hilton. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the lunch buffet. The afternoon I was there, the restaurant was full of not just guests of the hotel, but others as well. The selection was large - and being a vegetarian, they had a lot to choose from! I would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: This tip is not about a room, but how to get your rolling suitcase to your room. The SUITCASE goes...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mswtravels71
Thank you for your positive review. It's great that you chose to eat in our dining room for lunch because too few hotel guests try it out and it's actually a popular spot for our local business community. Our culinary team is incredibly creative and they like to work with fresh produce. We'd be glad to serve you again soon!
Kirkland, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I'm not talking about getting to the hotel itself. I'm talking about getting to the front desk or the meeting rooms.

We didn't stay at the hotel as we live in the city but our clients were staying there and we went down to run our workshop for them for the day. The hotel is inside a large office/convention/mall type of building. Access from the street leaves you a long walk to find the door to the hotel, where you meet people coming up from the parking garage. This is chock point #1. To get to the hotel, you HAVE TO take an elevator (only 2) from the main floor. So, if you're arriving at a time with a lot of other people, you need to wait on the main floor until you can get to the elevator.

The trip is relatively short and then you must take a little walk to get to the front desk. The meeting rooms lie - not clearly marked - past the front desk. As we continued in search of the meeting room, we discovered that there were a group of meeting rooms downstairs, which were accessed by an escalator. Reverse the process to get back to the exit - up the escalator, across the building, down the elevator, and so on. With bags in tow, the trip is an ordeal!

I can only hope that the hotel offers clients and customers a discount for the inconvenience of getting to their rooms.

The outdoor, heated pool however, did look very inviting!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gerry B
Christina P, Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent business visit to our property. We appreciate your honest input on our layout and parking situation and we will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience.

Please do note that we are a penthouse/rooftop hotel. This is a uniqueness that offers many benefits that other downtown hotels do not often offer such as 2.5 acres of gardens with a pond of ducks, no street noise, better views and higher security comparing to a property that would have many street level entrances.

We hope that even though you reside in Montreal, you will return to visit us as a hotel guest next time and let us know about your experience.
Rothesay, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel is above and beyond excellent. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is very clean. The year round outdoor pool is the highlight of this hotel!!! The hotel had a very nice modern & clean decor. Rooms were very clean, modern and lots of room for 3 adults. Breakfast in the restaurant was delicious and one of the best tasting breakfasts we have every had in a hotel. Location is great, as we were able to walk everywhere including the bell centre wihtout ever going outside. We will definetley be staying at this hotel again the next time we travel to Montreal!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Wow! Thank you for the praise and for recommending us! The Bonaventure team is absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful stay. See you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Great location, friendly service and the location is perfect,in the heart of downtown Montreal. The breakfast is excellent and food is delicious. Wish I brought my swimming suits, the out door pool looked like it would have been a lot of fun

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Christina P, Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for the positive review and we look forward to welcoming you again...but don't forget your swimsuit! Happy Holidays!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I don't know if it was my room in particular, but running hot water in the bathroom was a complete joke. It literally took 15 minutes for my bath/shower to reach a temperature I could step into...an even then I wasn't comfortable. When I asked reception about it...because it seriously took over 15 minutes for heated water, I'm not exaggerating...she gave me the typical "Sorry, I don't know what's up with that" answer. Nevertheless, the hotel is fabulous. The pool is a dreamy, one of a kind experience, some of the art work lining the halls is absolutely beautiful and you really get the impression of being in your own Shangri-La/personal oasis. Except the lame water heating! It's winter! I want warmth and convenience!

Room Tip: Suss the architecture of the building out if you plan on enjoying it for what it has to offer. It ca...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dougygreen
Thank you for your constructive feedback! Please accept my sincerest apologies for the hot water issue. It was probably the temperature controls of your room's plumbing that needed to be looked into.

I am very glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy our outdoor heated pool! By the way, a lot of the artwork on our walls and also our wood sculptures were actually created by staff (i.e.: cook, housekeeping attendant) or their family members. Otherwise, they are local artists. We love to encourage such great talent.

We hope to see you again soon! Happy Holidays!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We spent three nights here and enjoyed the service provided. From the moment we arrived we felt welcome. The room was well appointed ... all services worked. The outdoor pool was fabulous ... amazing to be able to swim in 33 degree outdoor pool when the ambient temp was about minus 20 or below. Guy in the Executive Lounge was most friendly and helpful and got on with our girls amazingly well, even teaching them some French. Chantal at the concierge desk was also very helpful with suggestions during our stay. Excellent location. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JP-6014
Thank you so much for the top score review! I truly appreciate that you recognized Guy and Chantal for their exceptional service. They certainly are wonderful ambassadors for us. I am glad that your family had such a good time and we hope to see you again soon! Happy Holidays! Joyeuses Fêtes!