“Acceptable”

InterContinental Montreal
Ranked #34 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 13 April 2012

As top hotels go, this one is acceptable. It's getting a little old. The bathroom floors were cold. The view from our room was obstructed and breakfast was frankly quite so so. The staff were, however, very nice and the valet parking was prompt. As for the $7 complimentary water bottle on the desk, that's a little steep. One good note was the internet + unlimited international phone calls for $15 a day. Next time I'm in Montreal I'll probably try an alternative.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the views on the 'inside' of the building. Ask for a view looking onto the city...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were very surprised by your comments in regards to the design and look of our hotel, as we completed renovations in all our guestrooms, public spaces, Sarah B. bar and Osco! restaurant in 2009. On another note, we appreciate your remarks on the service you received from our staff, you may rest assured that we have passed on your encouraging comments to them.

We thank you for your visit.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We bought a package deal for one night at the InterContinental. It's a great location close to Old Montreal and downtown, easy to walk everywhere and attached to the underground.

We got a corner room on the 18th floor which is quite nice. Our room was a nice size with all the amenities needed. There were no robes in the room when we arrived but they were very quickly delivered when I called to ask for them.

Everyone in the hotel is very nice, always friendly and helpful regardless of who you are dealing with. They accomodated our request for early check in even though the hotel was full.

Our package included access to the "club" which is really great. The host in the club was very helpful! We went there for a sort of Happy hour at 5:30 and they had out a nice display of hors d'oeuvres and many choices of wine and other drinks (no charge!). There was smoked salmon, pasta, cheese, veggies, etc, a very nice assortment We could have just stayed there and eaten enough for our dinner! But we went to Osco for dinner.

Dinner at Osco was very good, a nice restaurant, Our server seemed distracted and forgot about us for most of the evening, but we sensed this was more of a one time thing. We still enjoyed dinner. Prices were reasonable and our package included a $25 discount.

When we got back to our room, they had come by and left a little package with mini-cupcakes, a bottle of water and a personalized note. Nice touch and the cupcakes were really delicious! A personalized note accompanied this little gift.

We enjoyed our stay at the InterContinental and would recommend it!

Room Tip: Higher floors provide a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank orange-hats
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I am a big fan of Intercontinental hotels. They just seem to be a cut above the rest. My only complaint is that they charge $18 CAD for internet access. I usually travel with an air card but because I am from the US, using it would have meant ridiculously high usage rates. Because my reservation was a reward night, I won't cry over the Internet deal.

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VIAboytes
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Even before I enrolled in the Priority club (free membership) , I felt very good and welcome every-time I was arriving at the location . The staff are very professional and polite. The location of the hotel couldn't be more perfect, you can arrive via train (10$ taxi to go to the hotel), then you use the subway to travel anywhere you want in Montreal, ( you have the subway connecting underneath of the building next door).

The room are sparkling clean every-time , huge windows, a nice sight of the town in every room ; and when you are a Priority Member, you get so many perks that you believe that you are royalty ( a real Ambassador) room upgrade (like on the top floor of the hotel, amazing suites, just to name that one!!)

whenever I am going to Montreal, I just tell every one that I am going to my second home!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LineBoutinActress
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Ms. Boutin,

What a pleasure to hear that you consider our hotel your home away from home! We are delighted to read your review and we feel that you summed our property up perfectly. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We've just returning from our three night stay at the interContinental Montreal. We decided to plan our trip around a concert, birthday and anniversary. I love investigating hotels and spent some time searching the hotel websites looking for good deals back in January. I came across the Intercontinental Montreal and we booked the Deluxe Irresistible Room.

Apon arrival at the hotel, we were treated to the attractive reception area and check-in. The front desk was polite and there was no wait. Once we had received our room keys, we ascended to the 23rd floor to our room. Upon entree I realized we were given a room with two double beds rather then one king. I called reception and they said they had two other rooms with kings but they were on the 10th and 14th floors and had less attractive views but if we would like, we could move. The view from our room on the 23rd floor was wonderful, overlooking the St. Laurence river, facing l'il bizarre and the port. We decided to stay.

The room was spotless with a contemporary decor, a large flat screen tv, mini bar, desk, chair, iPod dock, regular hotel literature, two pillow top double beds and a comfy chair with foot rest. The bathroom was a comfortable size with triangular shower, separate bath, toilet and deep sink. Basic toiletries were provided.

The first night when my fiancée attended a concert with friends, I spoke to the front desk if they could assist me in organizing some spa activities. In a matter of minutes, the front desk had arranged an appointment at an Old Montreal salon followed by a massage with one of the hotel's RMTs. While my fiancée attended a concert, I was pampered at the salon and received a skilled deep tissue massage by one of the hotel's RMTs in their health spa. At this point you could go for a swim in the pool, but I was too relaxed and returned to my room.

Following my appointments, I ordered room service which was from Osco's, the hotel's restaurant. I called using the direct line. They answered immediately addressing me using my name (nice touch). Nothing ever seemed like a bother for the staff. They are all so authentically pleasant, it really made me feel special - as if I was the only guest there. The room service was delivered within 20 minutes with a lovely additional touch - miniature cupcakes from the chef. So cute and yummy too!

The remaining nights we visited the Sarah B. Bar and ordered room service once more from Osco's. Sara B. Bar's specialty is Absinthe. We each tried it for the first time and enjoyed as the bartender introduced us to its process of dripping cold water over a sugar cube from a beautiful art nouveau styled water fountain.

Overall I absolutely love this hotel and feel I was truly treated to an exceptional experience. The hotel is so quite for sleeping, beautifully decorated, the staff are top-notch. Each day the room was straightened by housekeeping making it a wonderful retreat from our daily and nightly adventures. The location of the hotel is fantastic as well. You have an assortment of mid-priced to fine dining restaurants in close proximity. The historic streets of old Montreal, the awe inspiring cathedral of Notre Dame and the port are all only short walks away. In each direction you turn, you will be presented with the old world architecture of the city, juxtaposed with contemporary buildings - the area is a real treat for the senses.

Would I stay at the Intercontinental Montreal again. Bien sur! In a heart beat!
Thank you IM for a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Try to request a room on the higher floors overlooking the St. Lawrence.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeasideSteph
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending the InterContinental Montreal. It is a pleasure to read that you had such a wonderful stay and we are delighted that you were able to take advantage of our services. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here two seperate nights in February, got the rooms for $100/night through a special "zoo" promotion.

At this price, we cannot complain a lot. The location is great, just between Old Montreal and Downtown.

WINTER TIP : It is connected to the underground city, so you can get all over downtown without going outside. Just go down and grab a map, you can get to your destination without having your ears fall off, even on the coldest day!

The rooms leave something to be desired for decor, they seem dated with burgundy reds. The bed is comfortable enough to sleep on, the "view" of the deluxe room is nothing special, you can see the port if you look way to the side...other than that you are facing another high rise unless you get very high in the building. The bathroom seems the most dated of all, the bathtub is not deep enough for a relaxing soak, and the shower is small and feels crammed.

On the 2nd night, we found out in the morning that our shower drain was virtually blocked so we couldn't take a shower. I mentioned it on checkout and the clerk just said "OK" without apologizing or recognizing that it was an actual problem. I had to mention it again to ensure she actually noted it for the maintenance people at the very least.

The concierge was very nice, we appreciated her assistance.She didn't seem to know the area as well as one would expect, but she did put in a great effort to help us find places we were specifically looking for.

If this hotel were not connected to the underground city, and if I had paid more than $100 I would certainly be removing a star here. Those two things will allow me to give a 4 star rating.

Next time I will pay a few extra $$ to try something else.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest room you can get if you want a chance at a view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear QC_Phoenix,

Thank you for your review and for your stay. I am sorry that we fell below your expectations. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 18 March 2012

The lobby area is very nice and staff are friendly. Our room was a decent size, comfortable and clean. It is not overly luxurious but still very nice. The bed was a little uncomfortable which was the only downside to the bed. On our second night, we discovered that we were missing a coffee maker in the room. So I called and they said they would send someone up - it was about 11:00 at night, and the gentleman that came with the coffee maker said he had to install it, he couldn't just leave it with us. So then there was some guy in our room for about 10 minutes putting in the coffee maker which I thought was a little odd and unfortunate that they didn't check the room first.

Wireless internet costs an extra $15 per night. When you book the room, I would ask for the i-connect package. You can't get it at check in, but if you get it ahead of time, it is $11 a night for wireless internet plus unlimited phone calls - a much better deal.

We went to the restaurant downstairs for buffet breakfast. Definitely NOT worth it. It was a weekday (not sure if it is better on weekends), but it was $23 per person and the food was not very good, and I would have thought there would be more variety for $23. The chef who was supposed to make eggs and omelettes for you was often on a smoke break which is not helpful when you are in a rush for breakfast.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the "view" room. It was on a high floor, but about 3/4 of the view out...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business