“Not impressed with service”

InterContinental Montreal
Ranked #34 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“Not impressed with service”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel was nice, lobby was beautiful. Pool was small but we were the only ones there so it was okay. However, the check out process took at least half an hour. I guess they were having technical issues or something, but it was really irritating. We had prepaid for the room so when the guy gave us our receipt we asked him a couple times to ensure we do not get charged for the room again. Sure enough, two weeks later we saw the room charge on our credit card. Had to call them and they were pretty apologetic, but we would not stay there again. Poor service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear toronto_lov,

Thank you for sharing you comments, I am very sorry for the confusion concerning the billing upon check out, but we are glad to hear you have enjoyed the hotel and the pool.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend in may. The service from check in to check out was excellent. The room we had was on a high floor with a view of the water - it was really nice, with high ceilings and nice furnishings. The bed's were also cozy which is of course key for a hotel stay. The air conditioning did not work as well as I would have hoped - I like to sleep in a nice cold room which was not quite achievable. The room also had a perfume-y scent which was off putting as I am allergic to most scents - luckily it was not too bad so I was okay. The pool is quite small - if you're going with kids looking to swim you might want to consider elsewhere. The location is nice because you can easily walk to and around old montreal without having to take a cab. Overall we really enjoyed this hotel and would definitely go back on future montreal trips and would recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer G
Dear Salsagrl75,

Thank you for your 4 star review, we are glad you found our location and hotel ideal for your stay. We hope to see you again soon at the InterContinental Montreal.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I've been there for a three-night stay with my wife - as a part of our honeymoon trip. While it is not the most romantic option, it was a nice choice. The room was spacious, breakfast was top-notch. The location is really fine, with direct access to the underground city (Square Victoria Subway Stattion) and walking distance to Vieux Montreal, walking distance to the train station.

Room Tip: The building is on the financial area. I couldn't hear any noise, but if you are worried about t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Victor F
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments with us, we are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your 3 nights stay with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I checked into this hotel over the weekend as I was in town for the Montreal Canadiens game. The hotel was clean and as exactly as we had requested it. The only downfall was that I had wanted to check out the pool facilities and was not able to do so because it closed at 9 pm. A little disappointed but it did not hurt my impression of the hotel. It is conveniently located close to everything, we had so many food options we were impressed.

Dear kelsielynne,

Thank you for this 5 star review, we are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon at the InterContinental Montréal.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is located on the edge of the old city and has a small park directly across the street, which came in very handy as we traveled with our small dog. The room itself was nice size as well as the bathroom, which had a full tub and separate shower. While the bathroom first appeared to be good quality, the mold in the bathroom grout was unexpected. The lobby is on the second floor, generally accessible by an escalator. While there is an elevator on the ground floor next to the valet desk (behind a wall), the elevator could only be operated from the ground floor "up", meaning you could not use that one elevator to get to the ground floor without someone who has a key. The reason that was important to us was the dog I mentioned earlier. She is not used to escalators, so we had to carry her down the escalator. Disabled visitors would have to find someone who would unlock the elevator to take you to the ground floor - which I think would be quite inconvenient.

On the negative side, I prepaid for the room as the web-site said there was a bonus 5,000 points for pre-paying. After reserving the room, I did not see the same reference to the 5,000 bonus points on my confirmation that was on the rate page, so I called their customer services. The agent told me the 5,000 points would be credited a few weeks later. I later sent three notes to IHG rewards club as I never received the bonus. I could have reserved the room with AAA for the same price but with a better cancellation policy. IHG said they would give me 500 points as a consolation but stated that my room rate did not qualify for a 5,000 point bonus. I do have a record of me calling their customer service but did not print out the page that said my rate had the bonus. Now they won't honor the bonus. That seems like a bait and switch tactic. I am sure the page was set-up incorrectly - but they should honor what was on their site when I reserved the room. I won't be using this chain again. Buyer beware.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear G13,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we are glad you have enjoyed our location and the room. But, I am sorry your stay was shattered by the lack of response from IHG concerning your bonus points. I hope the situation will be resolved soon.

Colchester, Vermont
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A throng of people crowd the small lobby. Is Cher here? Are the paparazzi chasing George Clooney? Alas, no. It's just the Intercontinental doesn't hire enough staff to enable an efficient check in. Sure, I don't mind waiting 3-4 minutes. But 30 minutes? Time is money, people.

You've been upgraded to Club Level! Well! This is getting better! What's that get us? Um, nothing. We did find one bathrobe we could share if we so desired. And a single water glass in case one of us got thirsty or wished to rinse after brushing our teeth. Oh, wait! I see...it was CLUBBED level. As in they clubbed us, took our money, and the joke's on us.

Ok, the room, other than the basic lack of drinking glasses, was large and comfortable. The bed was fine. I couldn't hear the neighbors. But I expected all that. The unexpected surprises go in the deficit column, probably not what the hotel wishes to hear. I'll stay elsewhere next time.

1 Thank cperrera
Dear cperrera,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments, we are sorry you were unsatisfied with your experience at our hotel, please rest assured that this is an exception not the norm and we take a lot of pride in the level of servire we offer.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I am very late writing this review (forgot to do so originally). My boyfriend and I stayed at this luxury hotel the last week of December 2013(right after Christmas). I have only great things to say about this hotel! My boyfriend planned a romantic trip to celebrate a very special milestone birthday of mine. I had never been to Montreal and he had (it was also my first time in Canada). We wanted to go to a destination that was easy to arrive to by car and Montreal was a great destination. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by the friendly staff who helped with our luggage and garage parking options. Thereafter, we went upstairs to the front desk where JAMIL welcomed us and handled our check-in. He was great because not only was he very friendly, he upgraded our room, at no extra charge, when he discovered we were there to celebrate my milestone birthday. Thus, we had a wonderful room (on one of the floors near the very top of the building) with a great view of the city and because there was snow on the ground and Christmas decorations (which added to the ambiance of the city), the view was even more beautiful. Jamil was also very helpful with giving us info on things to do and see in Montreal, restaurants, etc. All of the staff, at this hotel, were very congenial and helpful. Our room was very clean & comfortable (the bed was amazing), nice decor & furniture, great flat screen TV, bathroom was large size (a real plus) and it was a very quiet & relaxing stay. Just what we needed after our car trip to Montreal. Since we visited Montreal during the Christmas season, we found adequate parking on the street, a block over, which was free (businesses were closed nearby because this was considered the holiday season and long term parking was permitted on the street, which was a savings). The location, of the hotel, is ideal and has the nice combination of old architecture as well modern buildings. The hotel is in Old Montreal which is away from the hustle & bustle of downtown Montreal but yet still close to most areas of attractions. The subway is close by (it's very easy to get around on subway), there is an underground whereby you do not have to go outside if you don't want to, great restaurants (Houstons is close by and was really nice as well as good breakfast choices in the mall adjoined to the hotel) and downtown is not far away plus there are ample taxi cabs outside the hotel. Vargas is a wonderful restaurant, in downtown, where we celebrated my birthday (I wrote a review of that on TripAdvisor, as well). There were only two (2) things which annoyed me at the hotel: the room card keys often times did not work when using them on the elevators to get to your room (other guests experienced the same problem) and the other thing is when we called the front desk or housekeeping, a couple of times, the option for English speaking info went to French speaking instead and when we figured out which extension to call, the phone either just rang a long time or the voice mail never picked up. So, we went down to the front desk, instead, and were serviced. All in all, we had a lovely stay, at this hotel, and really enjoyed this trip. Much love to my boyfriend for doing his research (on TripAdvisor as I suggested) and selecting this hotel for my special birthday.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lady4Evermore
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Jane D,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for the five stars even after a few months. We are gald to hear you have enjoyed a perfect birthday stay with us, that you have enjoyed our service (especially Jamil), our location and our rooms. I am sorry for the room key and for the lack of response when you called, I will be following up with the employees to always ensure a better service to our guests. We hope to see you again soon at the InterContinental Montreal.