“It's the little things...”

InterContinental Montreal
Ranked #35 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Staying in Montreal at the end of a long motorcycle trip wasn't in the plans, but vacation is vacation. After 2 weeks on a cabin at the northern edge of nowhere, a little pampering was in order. And where else to stay, but a 4.5 star hotel in Montreal?! Made the reservation on booking.com, where it CLEARLY stated that no charge would taken until we showed up. We do that, because on a bike trip, one never knows. No problem there... just a little surprised when the front desk (when I found it on the second floor) told me the room was already paid for. I had no issues with the front desk folks, unlike some others... very nice, courteous, friendly, and professional. The valet was ready to park our "vehicle" until he saw it was a motorcycle. That's ok.. I wouldn't have allowed it anyway. The entrance to the parking garage is right around the corner. Then the fun starts. The parking level for the hotel is 9 (yes..NINE!) stories below street level (the upper levels were all reserved). And it ain't cheap - $28 per space (2 motorcycles take up one space). Oh yeah.. and that's every time you leave and enter again (lucky for us, we didn't need the bikes once we parked). Once you find a space in the lower level of Hades, you take the elevator up to some kind of shopping mall, where at 5pm on a Saturday evening, all the shops were closed, and it was ghost town. Rather creepy. And good luck finding any direction to the hotel lobby! Also, if you're schlepping luggage, it's not all that close! Once we got to the room, however, we forgot about all that! Gorgeous, big clean room, HUGE sparkling clean bathroom. Couldn't ask for more! OK, so we were overlooking the building next door, but we didn't care. We then tried the wifi... amazingly enough, there was a charge for wifi! No one bothered to tell us it was free if we signed up for the hotel group membership.. but how would we have done that WITHOUT the wifi? Seriously... charging for wifi access stopped in most places 5 years ago. Earlier in the trip, we got FREE wifi at a $35/night motel. No one again bothered to tell us it was free in the lobby. The walk to old Montreal was about 10 minutes away.. perfect location.
So, to sum up...
Good stuff: Great place, awesome location, great rooms, friendly service
Not-so-good stuff: a little pricey, expensive parking, no signage from the parking garage to the lobby, no free wifi.
Would we go back? Heck yeah... for a special occasion! Just be prepared for the nickel-and-dime stuff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NH_Scruffy
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear NH_Scruffy,
Thank you for the review of our hotel, we are aware that the parking situation we have is not the best but being in the center of the business district we do not have a lot of options. We are happy you have enjoyed your room and the location of our hotel and we do hope to see you again soon in Montreal.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The arrival bell service was not very professional.
Finding the elevator was a challenge!!!
The front desk was very good.
The dining room staff very good but evening menu, food and food selection needs to be revamped.
breakfast menu, food and food selection very good!

Room Tip: We stayed June 27, 2014. I believe any room would not disappoint!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 06CES47

Dear 06CES47,
Thank you for this 4 star review, your comments are very appreciated and will help us to always strive to provided a better service to our guest. Hope to see you soon in Montreal

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I went to Montreal for the Jazz Festival with my father, we stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The location can't be beat - we were 4 blocks from the festival and just as close to the sights of Old City an the Port.

All in all, I found this hotel to be "just fine". The lobby is cramped and they don't quite pull off the urban chic/kitsch (a la Kimpton) that they seem to be going for. The room was nicely sized, clean, and the bathroom was large with a shower that had superb water pressure.

The front desk staff was chilly upon check in and check out - curt, quick to shut down the conversation, avoided eye contact and in general acted indifferent. I know this isn't the Ritz, but I did pay more than a penny for the room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Stryker4

Dear Stryker4,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I would like to apologize for the rudness of our staff. But I am happy you have enjoyed our location and the the room as well as the Jazz Festival. We hope to see you again soon in Montreal.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed for 2 nights in late March 2014 on a business trip. My room was clean and comfortable. Location was excellent - I walked from the train station to the hotel and it was across the street from the convention centre. It is also a short walk to the old city and to Ste Catherine St shopping.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank canadiantravellady
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this 4 star review, we hope to see you again soon at the InterContinental Montreal.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Had a late arrival at 9pm, all I wanted to do was to get into the room and have a nice hot bath, but the staff members made it impossible. Bell man was no where to be seen when we arrived by taxi, had to wait 5-10mins before we can find one. Went upstairs to check-in, the guy was nice and polite. As a IHG member (free to sign up) , I get free Wi-fi in room which was good, otherwise there are also internet in the lobby. Was given a room on the 16th floor, went up and could not open the room whatsoever. Thought it was due to my key being near my phone for few seconds, I went back down and there was a HUGE line with only one person serving. After at least 15mins wait, I was finally served, and was told the guy has written the wrong room number on my key holder, instead of 1606 it was meant to be 1806. We were told that you've to use your key to get to your own level, well clearly you don't. Turns out you don't need to use the key in the elevator at all.

As a frequent traveller, and just from this trip I've stayed in 7 hotels so far, this is by far the worse customer service wise. However I'll give them credit towards the room, it does have a lot of space and is very clean. Though it doesn't change the fact that I'll not be returning, and is having doubts with InterContinental in general.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Amelia-F191

Dear Amelia-F191,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am very sorry that you have experience our customer service this way, I will be followinf up on this issu and reinforcing the coaching of our employees. I am happy to hear you have enjoyed your room and the privileges of being a IHG Rewards member. I hope you will give us another chance and see you again in Montreal.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hôtel Intercontinental Montréal is not the Ritz-Carlton or the Saint-James. But it still deserves its five stars. If the lobby is somewhat ugly with its cheap furniture and tacky lights, staff is nice and professional. We booked a corner room with a view and we got room 2320. Great room! Very large, amazing view of the Saint-Laurent and the city, including the basilique Notre-Dame and Habitat 67. The bathroom is large too, clean, all in marble. We loved the bed and linen, the chair, the windows…The next morning we had breakfast at their restaurant, which was good. 24 $ for a good buffet; I mean good for a hotel. The restaurant looks very nice though. And we also used their pool and outdoor terrace. Perfect! And at night you can walk everywhere from there.
Paid 219 $ + tax for one night = 260. Expensive, but what are you gonna do.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sherkan2

Dear sherkan2,
Thank you for this 5 star review, we are glad you have enjoyed your room, the breakfast and the location of our hotel. We hope to see you again at the InterContinental Montreal.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I arrived at 4pm, check in hour for IC. The lineup was at least 30 customers deep, through the lobby and well into the private lounge area (pity those who paid for that access). One hour later I reached the desk only to be told my room was not ready, and to come back in 20 minutes. Same story 20 minutes later. After complaints and relentless arguing I got a room at 5:30pm. There is a distinct feeling that preferential treatment is given others.

Room Tip: Was I penalized because I booked through Hotwire? For the sake of Hotwire one would hope not.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joaquindapark
BernardChenevert, General Manager at InterContinental Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Joaquindapark,

We thank you for sharing your comments with our team and we sincerely apologize for the service you received while staying in our property. We always strive to offer the best experience to our guests and we are really sorry to hear that our team did not live up to your expectations and to your membership level.