“Great stay!”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #41 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My friend is a platinum Marriott member so she used her points for the stay. We were given a king suite on the 35th floor with a spectacular view. The living room area had a sofabed. The beds were very comfortable and the linens were nice. The windows are curved and very large. It started to snow in the evening and the wind blew the snow sideways making it seem like we were in a snowglobe. We could see the river and all the nearby buildings. The staff is very nice. They will exchange US dollars for Canadian dollars for you so you don't have to go to the ATM. The metro station is right there at the hotel but we found it easier to take a taxi. We had breakfast in the hotel and the server was very good. Although not brand new, everything was well kept and we enjoyed our stay. The only downside is there really isn't too much within walking distance but it didn't matter with the metro station right there. There's also an underground parking garage. I'd stay here again. The view was really great.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a higher floor and be sure to ask for the view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Hi JasKalBrn
Thank you for the complimentary review of our hotel and your stay with us. Your feedback means a great deal to us. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back for your next visit to our city.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,046)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

nice place that is close to everything. it has declined a bit over the years though. this place was really nice 10 years ago. could use an update. stayed on the executive level with lounge access. service is great.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Sandra M,

Thank you for your feedback. I hope to be able to share plans for some updating soon.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

On a recent visit to Montreal, we booked the Marriot Chateau Champlain and specifically requested a room on an upper floor, facing McGill. Our room had a huge window that looked out over a park and the northern city. At night it was really beautiful. The room had the usual Marriott décor and amenities. The breakfast buffet was a little disappointing, but perhaps was limited due to the hotel not being full that weekend. They did have gluten free bread when asked.
Parking is tricky (as it is in most big cities) as it is $22.00 per day, but if you take it out and return it you could be charged twice for the same day. Parking on the side street is free from 9 PM to 9AM. The hotel was in excellent condition and the staff friendly and knowledgeable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Hi Carollee H,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. I appreciate your feedback. As you note, the day and night views of our city from our unique guest room windows - are indeed worth noting.
Happy travels.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stay at this Marriot two nights a year. This year it took us 25 minutes to check in (with no line). Not sure why, we always use three rooms and normally check-in is a breeze. Rooms were ready.

All the Marriot Hotels have great beds. Very comfortable, plenty of pillows. Shower is nice - good pressure and holds your temperature well. Rooms have standard amenities, hair dryer, safe, iron and ironing board.

Nice breakfast buffet -coming out of elevators on the GH floor take a right another right near the gift shops and it's on the right.

I would recommend the Marriot Chateau Champlain based on our stays the last ten years.

Hello NEDR2013,
Thank you for your many years of patronage - this means a great deal to us. I am sorry to read your check in this visit took longer than expected. I truly appreciate your recommendation and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again next year.
A bientot.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I chose this hotel due to the proximity to the Bell Centre since we were seeing a concert. It was a little difficult to get to it since there was some construction and a ton of one way streets but once we arrived there was a valet spot out front. We went into a well appointed lobby (old charm, not trendy but very classy) and checked in. The front desk clerk (I think her name was Emma) was wonderful and very professional. Since I drive an oversized vehicle, they helped me find suitable parking and went out of her way to make sure we were well taken care of. The valet (Ronny) was so fun and entertaining, he was definatley a highlight of our stay. The bell man and other ladies at the front desk were always happy to see us and a few interactions with the concierge were mostly positive (2nd girl did not enjoy her job or was unhappy to have to speak english to us!).

The hotel has a very elegant bar and lounge area. We did grab a late lunch and then some after hours drinks. The french onion soup and the pizza were very good, the hamburger sliders did not have the maple glazed onions it said it did and the lasagna was so-so. That being said, we were very comfortable at the bar, since we are two ladies traveling without our husbands. I would feel very good sending my sisters here by themselves as far as the safety of the city, the attentiveness of the staff and the proximity to attractions.

St. Catherine Street is only a few blocks away for shopping. The Bell Centre is almost next door. Great location.

Our room was on the 27th floor and we booked a "city view" which was a little pricier, but we were thrilled with it. We had a gorgeous view with a bow style window that rounded out. Our room had two double beds, which was perfect for us. The shower had great water pressure!Beds were comfortable. We paid $206 per night for two nights (Fri and Sat). Worth every penny. Parking was extra. There are two ATMs in the place and the front desk was willing to exchange $100 US for me. There is a starbucks (A real one) in the lobby as well as some boutiques. Our room was very quiet, too.

Hats off to the management and staff. The customer service was excellent. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Get a "City View" on a high floor.
1  Thank redheadMA
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Redhead MA,
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Montreal and our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We trusted the hotel star rating, so we booked Marriott chateau Champlain in Montreal for 2 nights.

We parked our car which has such a low ceiling that our car trunk got chipped due to rusted pipe over the ceiling. They put "hotel guest to S5"- the lowest parking level. Guess what? Elevator was so tiny and dirty and It wouldn't work. We had to bring our luggage using stairs!

We checked into our room and we were checking bedding. Guess what? Blood spots that didn't washed enough. Great. I called to change the room. They asked us to move to another room and guess what? Now, there's someone's pubic hair below the pillow and some black droppings. I complained and they said they are going to send someone to new room and if the room is ok, then he will get me to check before moving to another room.

I went upstairs to check the room with the hotelier. He said he already checked and looks good. I lifted the pillow, and found another short pubic hair. What the hell?!?!

I got so upset! Couldn't believe this hotel was rated 4+star hotel! I expressed my disappointment after all this then the supervisor then said to me "then what do you want?" Bluntly. Lol- don't they teach in school how to say politely to a custom?

Overall, Marriott in Montreal is so overrated, over-priced, old and DIRTY.

Would I want to book another Marriott? No way. I wouldn't stay that kind of hotel at all. Ew...

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank LoveLifewithXiong
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear EMKSIM26,
Thank you for your candid feedback and comments. I extend to you our sincerest apologies for the multiple issues you encountered, leading to the cancellation of your planned stay. I assure you what you experienced is not in keeping with the service levels we are capable of and known for.
Please do not take your short time with us and our failings as reflective of the many excellent Marriott hotels around the world.
Your feedback is being addressed to ensure we do all we can to improve our offering.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Recently stayed here for 3 nights while in the city for business. Staff check in was wonderful and I was able to quickly get to my room for the night after two long flights in. I got to my room, it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I was on the side of the building facing other business towers, but it was still quite a nice view both morning and night. I enjoyed both breakfast and dinners at the hotel restaurant, where the staff was also very kind and friendly. One night before going out, the main light in the room had blown out. As I left for dinner, I mentioned it to the front desk and it was fixed within the hour which was wonderful.

The ONLY downside to my stay here was the temperature control in the rooms. I enjoy a cold/cool room to sleep in. Despite several attempts at turning the thermastat down, the heat never shut off. I wouldn't necessarily expect the A/C to come on, as I know that it's November, however, the ability to turn the temperature below 70 would've been greatly appreciated.

Regardless, I would definitely stay here again. The location to the metro and everything else is great.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hi NeviTales,
Just a short note to say thank you for reviewing our hotel following your stay. Your feedback is appreciated. Sorry about the temperature control - it will be looked into. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.