“Great downtown hotel, one block from Bell Centre”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #39 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Richmond, Virginia
“Great downtown hotel, one block from Bell Centre”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Great location right in the middle of downtown Montreal. Clean, upscale hotel. If you are going to an event at the Bell Centre, you can't stay much closer. Our advance purchase rate of $130/night beat most other chain hotels in the area.

People I interacted with were both pleasant and helpful. My room was clean with a nice view of downtown. The bed was very comfortable. We ate breakfast at the hotel on morning and the food was good.

Being downtown, parking is at a premium. There is a parking garage under the hotel that charges $23/day and they also have valet service.

I have no problems recommending this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Hi KenS9 - Merci beaucoup for taking the time to share your positive impressions of our hotel and the staff you interacted with. Safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked six nights at this property and booked a basic room because I know this property has several concierge level floors with upgraded rooms. I checked in and asked for a room upgrade after I realized they were not upgrading me on their own accord(I am a Gold VIP). However, the clerk stated there were no concierge rooms available. I headed to my room while, my co-worker who booked a concierge level room a few days earlier at an additional $20 per night, headed to his room. I entered my room to be greeted with a basic room with two double beds. I decided to go back down to the front desk to at least get a room with a king size bed. The front desk provided me with a new set of keys for a standard room with a king size bed. Just to be sure, I asked again if I could get an upgrade to the concierge level and I was told again there were none available. I went up to my new room and got settled in. I decided to check online to see if there were any concierge rooms available. Sure enough there were at a cost of $249 per night. This price was a little over $100 more than I was paying per night. I called my co-worker who speaks French fluently and asked him to call the hotel from his cell phone and ask how much rooms were for the night and then ask if there would be any rooms available on the concierge room. As predicted, they stated yes at a price of $249 per night.

I kept my composure and headed with my luggage back down to the front desk. I asked why I wasn't upgraded to the concierge room that the website was showing. The clerk immediately realized that the call earlier must have been related to me and she told me the supervisor could answer that question. I explained the situation to the supervisor who said the web and internal systems don't always show correct information. She then told me there was a concierge level room beside the mechanical room but it is very noisy. I told her that was fine. She then proceeded to continue looking for additional rooms and "found" one on the 32nd floor that was supposedly blocked because of complaints of noise levels from construction across the street(Really, on the 32nd floor?). Anyway, she gave me my keys and I headed to my room. Finally, a room every Marriott rewards member has come to expect. It had a beautiful large window overlooking the south side of Montreal. I headed up to the concierge level to meet my colleague who complained of having to pay for the beer during the manager’s reception. I was a bit disappointed because in the United States Marriott properties usually have free beer and wine during the Manager’s reception but with such a large property it doesn't surprise me. The beverage costs would be prohibitive with so many concierge level guests.

The rest of the week was uneventful and my wife came for a visit on the Saturday morning. I decided to check with the front desk to see if a suite upgrade would be available. There was a suite available at an additional cost of $250. I declined and went on my way. When I was a Hilton Diamond member, I remember they would always upgrade to the best room in the hotel if the stay was of a short duration and the room isn’t booked at a later date.

Although the Marriott Montreal is a nice property close to many attractions, I won’t be back due to the deceptive nature of their management. I’m going to research other hotel membership programs now because I’m tired of these large Marriott properties not adhering to the membership policies.

Room Tip: Marriott VIP members - please challenage front desk if no conceirge room is availalbe. Look online...
1 Thank 946PatDev
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear 946PatDev
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to post your comments and disappointments regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I extend to you my sincerest apologies that we did not ensure a much more seamless arrival and assignment of an upgraded room based on your valued membership in our rewards program. Ultimately, we could and should have been more responsive and proactive, including during your wife's visit with you.
If we have indeed lost your favour as a hotel, it is truly our loss. Should you reconsider our hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to my office directly to allow me to facilitate your reservation and to welcome you more appropriately.
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The location was excellent for us, it's just right beside Bell Canada Centre! Room was nice and clean and had a very nice view, room size was decent. Valet was quick and staffs were very friendly. Best value for the buck!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello David L - thank you for your review - very happy to read you enjoyed your stay - hope to welcome you back soon.
New York, NY
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The stay here was adequate as the location was good and the price was reasonable. The facility itself is clearly rather old and a bit faded. The room was pretty standard for a mid grade Marriott in the States. Bed was decent, bath was plain and boring. The service here was quite friendly. The best part of the hotel is the location as you are close to the downtown action as well as the Bell Centre.

Room Tip: Higher for a better view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jwobkk
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hello jwobkk .... thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay. I am pleased to read service and location met your expectations. We will keep working away at our improvements to the property. Merci
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here to catch the last regular season game of the season for the Montreal Canadiens. The hotel is connected to the Bell Centre with an underground tunnel. So it is the hotel to stay at for a Montreal Canadiens hockey game. The service provided by the front desk and the concierge over the weekend was EXCELLENT. Not only did they take care of all of our reservations for the weekend but they did follow up calls to make sure all was okay. The only setback was that the hot tub was out of order during our weekend stay on April 13th, 2014. The pool area and deck was out dated but fully supervised - which is a nice feature for young families. I would definitely return to this hotel upon our return to Montreal! The service provided by all those we contacted will convince us to return!

Room Tip: Select rooms on the upper floors for a great view of the city.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi Comeau Team - GO HABS! - sure was a great game to end the season. Very happy to read your interactions with our staff were very positive. Sorry about the hot tub - it should be repaired in the next few weeks.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Even though dated and somewhat run down, the place looks nostalgic and is right in the middle of everything in Montreal. The checking in was smooth and our room on the 26th floor facing the Basilica had a sweeping view of down town Montreal. Great location for those who want to walk and enjoy everything down town Montreal / old town has to offer.

Nice B/F places just inside the Canada Place as well as Starbucks Coffee. Will definitely return here for our next trip.

Room Tip: Many B/F options at short distance to the Hotel including a nice Patisserie in the concourse of adja...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kolkatacool
Hi Koplkatacool - thank you for taking the time to post your comments. You are correct in noting we have many options for Food and Beverage within the hotel and nearby vicinity. Hope to see you soon.
Tampere
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This nice hotel is very well situated by Bell Centre and the railway station. Once I got to the room I got immediately happy - from the 22nd floor I had an excellent view. The room window was fantastic. It was like made for sight seeing. Rooms had enough light, WiFi worked fine, beds were good and sleeping quality excellent. The only thing I can complain about the rooms was the small amount of sports channels on TV. Breakfast is really good and staff helpful. The hotel is somehow quite stylish and highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello PetriP - thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. Glad to see you enjoyed your stay.