“Great place in the heart of downtown ”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #43 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Great place in the heart of downtown ”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

The rooms are clean and spacious, and well maintained. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Many little breakfast places on the main floor in addition to great boutiques.

Short walk to all the great things you would want to see in downtown.

Looking forward to my next visit!

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank ThomasAb
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Ho Thomas A - thank you for the review of our hotel - glad you like what we have to offer. See you soon - a bientot.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband & I stayed at this hotel for a short 2-night family trip. We'd been to Montreal numerous times before & stayed elsewhere (more romantic boutique type places), but with a new addition to the family, & needing to be in the same hotel as my father-in-law, I chose this hotel for the location, value, & generally positive reviews. I found that previous reviews on tripadvisor were quite accurate. The hotel is obviously an older building & there are small signs here & there of its age (eg cracks in the marble tile around the tub surround, really old-school neat looking mini bar with a little window showing the little bottles in a row like the old cigarette machines used to, etc). But the public spaces have a nice historic timeless quality. And the rooms have obviously been renovated & updated. In fact, our room really was quite nice & comfortable, even if it wasn't fancy or modern or flashy, in addition to being quite spacious. Everything also felt quite clean overall, except for the carpet, although in fairness, it might have just been the design & colour of the carpet which didn't lend itself well to feelings of cleanliness. The hotel is very well situated downtown & within easy walking distance of Old Montreal/Historic Port, the Ste Catherine shopping distance, etc. & right next to the hockey arena (Place Bell). I would have been quite happy with the place overall if it weren't for a couple of issues we encountered. Firstly, we asked for a crib when booking & the person at the front desk even mentioned when we checked in that the crib was in the room & ready for us. And yet, after arriving really late (2:30am) & exhausted after 6 hrs of driving, we got up to the room to find no crib after all. We had to call down to the front desk & wait for one to be brought up. After it came, we realized that the base was fixed & so low that the mattress was only about a foot away from the floor. I suppose that's safe for babies who can stand, but not only was I uncomfortable with my baby breathing the air so close to the floor & carpet, but the problem was that I found it really difficult to place a sleeping baby gently all the way down to the mattress without waking him up. I got him back to sleep (this was now past 3am), but had to lean so far down into the crib that I almost had to pitch headfirst into it myself. Needless to say, it didn't go well & he woke up. The crib was also smallish - about the size of a playpen - which might have been ok but my 4-mo-old baby had just started learning to roll & when I left him for 5mins while I unpacked & to see if he could fall back asleep or at least acclimatize, I came back to find that he'd kicked his feet out between the bars & then rolled onto his side. This resulted in his feet being stuck outside the crib, leaving him twisted & stuck in that position until I turned his feet & rescued him. I was therefore loath to use the crib for the rest of our stay & had to cosleep for the first time, resulting in a very nervous & unsatisfying sleeping experience for all of us. I was also not too happy to have gotten a room right next to the elevators after I specifically asked to be on a high floor (that part was ok) & not to be near any elevators because we had a small baby. Although we called down to the front desk upon discovering where our room was (again, at 2:30am), they said there were no other rooms available. I would also agree with others' earlier comments about the parking situation being unsatisfactory. I understand that the hotel says they don't own the parking lot so there's not a lot they can do, & that's unfortunate. But first of all, that means that parking is an extra cost ($23/day). And what's more annoying is that hotel guests apparently HAVE to park on a specific floor. This means you have to drive down floor after floor, navigating tight turns, etc, to get to one floor which was always completely jammed full of cars, many of which were not even parked in proper parking spots, which made things even more tight. On one occasion, we came back to find literally NO spots left on the designated floor & we spent an inordinate amount of time driving around & around looking for a free space before giving up in frustration & just parking on a different floor in an act of civil disobedience. Anyway, apart from those issues, we had a comfortable stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello Westielover_TO - thank you for taking the time to share your review. I appreciate your comments about our location and rooms. Your feedback regarding our misses is important and valued by us. Very sorry about failing to have the right crib in your room upon arrival - our mistake and should not have occurred. Your disappointment is understandable.
As for parking and options, we could have and should have done a better job of describing a few options to you that may have been more helpful. I do hope this will not stop you from staying with us in the future. Merci.
North Carolina
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on points. It is a nice hotel with friendly staff. Room was clean with some wear and tear noted (especially in the bath). Room size was typical for a Marriott.

Good location with Metro station right below the hotel.

Interestingly, they offered a choice between free WiFi and paid high speed. I found that the free Wi-Fi was fast enough for basic stuff like email, etc.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank benfbrown
Hi Benfbrown.... thanks for your review - happy to read you enjoyed your stay and our location. Our free Wifi capacity and the option for increased speed have both been well received. Happy travels.
Vancouver
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Room was as expected; clean, comfortable king size bed. All in order and lots of towels, terry housecoats, etc. Nicely appointed. Quiet. Non-smoking. Good view. Blackout drapes were effective. Minibar and flat screen TV with many channels. Room service delivered a hot water electric kettle in 10 minutes. Bellboy was quick with luggage. The Metro subway station is in the basement which is very convenient and quick to get around Montreal. Pool and exercise room were well equipped and with fruit, fresh lemon water and towels. Very nice overall. Also very convenient for Hertz car-rental as only 2 blocks away. Hotel is aging well for a 48 year old building

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AnthonyVancouver
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi AnthonyVancouver - thank you for your great comments on our hotel - glad to read you enjoyed your stay and the services we offer. Happy Travels. A bientot.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel is in a great location right in the heart of downtown with a Metro right below the hotel. The service was fantastic from the front desk and especially the knowledgable Veronique. My room was standard but clean and spacious- the view though was breathtaking! The hotel could use some renovations in the coming year would be my only recommendation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hello DistrictTraveller - thank you for your review on our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and opinion.
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here while attending a conference. The hotel has a good location. We were able to walk to the convention center and restaurants in the area. The hotel staff were knowledgeable and helpful. The amenities are what they used to be before all the cost cutting. The only downside is that it is showing its age and could use an update. However, if putting in a new carpet and coat of paint is going to mean diminishing the good service then leave it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Joseph K, General Manager at Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Hi Darren D - thank you for your review - I am glad to read the service from our staff and or location made for a pleasant stay. A refresh and great service is what we will be working on.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Got what is typically expected at a Marriott. Starbucks in lobby etc. the staff is nice but seems to be slower than I'm used to. Car took nearly 30 minutes to get from valet. Lovely rooms and lounge.....nice location especially to see a hockey game.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hi Bowlerx_424 - thank you for posting your review on our hotel. We value your opinion - Our location is indeed very centralized - I apologize for the delay on valet service - I am sure we can do better.