“Excellent location”

Montreal Marriott Chateau Champlain
Ranked #42 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel for three nights, over the memorial day weekend. We got a good rate using our AAA discount on the Marriott web site. The large window overlooking the city was fantastic and gave the room a larger feel; of course having a high floor did help.
We certainly liked the fact that finally some hotel has decided to include internet access as part of the room rate. The hotel has a decent size pool, which our kids enjoyed, with available floats and warm water temperature. There is also a nice workout room and a hot tub.
This hotel is very close to St Catherine street and a number of excellent restaurants ( we tried ShoDan and Le Taj). The central station and metro are also right there, in fact the metro is underneath the hotel.
The staff is extremely pleasant and this hotel has the fastest service I have ever had. We called for some things from the room service and from house-keeping and they were there pronto.
Overall, an excellent stay, close to attractions and well worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank WearyTraveler-7
Write a ReviewReviews (2,077)

Reviewed 1 May 2009

I'm giving this hotel 5 stars because I don't have anything negative to say about it!

We stayed on the 16th floor and had a room with 2 double beds. We weren't in the room all that much but it was big enough for 4 girls, their luggage, and shopping bags! I thought it was nice that there were 3 chairs in the room - 1 at the desk and 2 at a small table. Often there's only 1 chair, or none at all. The beds were extremely comfortable. The best part was the "dressing room" outside of the bathroom. There's a full length mirror, closet, and drawers and you can shut a slatted door to close this area off from the rest of the bedroom.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had an excellent bellman (I think his name was Patrice) who gave us great shopping advice. We had the buffet breakfast both mornings and the staff there was also friendly.

Having the Metro station underneath the hotel is also very convenient. Parking was a bit pricey ($18/night) but to be expected in downtown Montreal. We were only a few blocks from St. Catherine and Crescent street which was nice.

Overall I was very happy with this hotel and would stay there again. I'll point out that our room and breakfasts were free so I can't comment on value for money since we didn't have to pay for anything. That being said, I would pay to stay here based on the service we received.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank daisey_1_1
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Last February I went to Montréal to attend one of Céline Dion's show in the Taking Changes World tour. I've always wanted to go to Canada and this seemed a nice way to spend a couple of days in this lovely country. A couple of weeks before my traveldate I noticed some very decent fares through a Belgian travelagency (Connections). With flights less then 400 EUR return I couldn't let this slip. The same agency had also a decent load of hotels in Montréal and after some reading I actually ended up booking the Marriot Chateau Champlain. This hotel is located across the Bell Centre and can be reached through a underground passage directly from the Hotel.

The staff of the hotel was very friendly although I first thought they tried to rip me of. When I checked in I was asked for a security deposit, we agreed onto a deposit of 200 CAD which is quite reasonable for me. I had booked the cheapest rate I could find, less then 80 EUR per night for this 4 star hotel. At the desk I asked if there was a room available with a view (knowing that I was originally located on one of the first floors above ground). I ended up on the 31st floor with a very nice view of Montréal (to bad the weather wasn't to nice). After a while I found out that the minibar was locked. Back at the counter they asked for another security deposit to use the key... Another 100 CAD and the key was given to me...

During the next couple of days I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. The rooms were very clean, the bed was very nice and I realy slept very well (wich I normally can't do in strange beds). The sheets were also very clean and were not showing any wear. The only problem was some form of static electricity in some of the pillows, don't know how it came but some of the pillows where loaded with static electrity creating "nice" tiny blue sparks in the night. The room itself was more then spacious enough and had a nice desk wich I used to work with my laptop. Free internet was also provided and had a decent speed.

The badroom was rather small but also very clean. Yes, it is showing it's age but as long if everything is clean and decent maintained I really don't bother that the shower sheet is a sheet somewhere from the past decade... Water was hot and had a decent pressure (sometimes a problem on higher rooms).

Also the restaurants had nice food. Not to cheap but it was definately worth the money.

To end this review I definately would stay again at the Marriot Chateau Champlain when visiting Montréal in the next years. It was a very pleasant stay...

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Bralo20
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We stayed here for four nights (in fact, I am writing this from our room). It is located at a pretty good location. The hotel is at the bottom of Rue Peel and you have to go up (not too steep) it, for many sites and food. Still, there are also many things going on to the east that are a relatively easy walk.

The lobby is a relaxing place to sit. The free wireless internet lets you work on your computer and enjoy the hustle and bustle (while drinking your favourite Starbucks beverage, from down the hall). The staff were very good and friendly. On weekdays, there are several small restaurants in the hotel but some are closed (early) on the weekend.

The rooms are well appointment but a little dated. The internet in our room was slow but after filling in the online comment form, I got a quick response (from the system’s administrator and the internet). There didn’t seem to be an RJ45 jack to plug into. So, if you don’t have a wireless equipped computer, you might want to check into this.

TV has limited channels and very limited English ones. The remote worked but not very well. They did have all the channels listed (plus some that didn’t work).

Bathroom shower was great but it got stuck on hot, the first day. Maintenance came up and explained the problem and how to avoid it reoccurring. I think that they need to just change the plumbing fixtures.

I noticed that the ceiling is starting to peel away. They may want to address this as well. The noise from the hall (doors closing) can be very disturbing.

Overall, a pleasant stay in Montreal.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2009

This is a very, very nice hotel.

The people were great. The rooms were very nice. The architecture of this building is cool, in a mid-century modern way. The Concierge Lounge was nice, save the fact that like all Marriott properties it appears the lounge offerings have been dialed down because of the economy.

My favorite part: the hotel is located above a subway station. Not that you heard noise, but it was easy to jump on the elevator and get on the train without having to go outside. Montreal has a subway system that is as good as the Paris system and better than NYC's. Getting around the city from this hotel is so, so easy.

The view from the room was very nice. The windows curve outward, so you get more view that you would ordinarily get. You can see a full 180 degrees.

The bathroom, TV and electronics have been recently updated. Unlike most Marriott's, this hotel has free Internet access. (All Marriotts should have free access.) The bed and bedding is top notch. The workout area is a step up from the usual.

All in all, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank CJKatl
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Great location and value for your money. And the service was very good. My room wasn't cleaned when I checked in, which wasn't a big deal as I was just dropping off my bags to head to a meeting. I let the front desk know and forgot about it. When I returned later that evening, the manager had sent a complimentary cheese tray along with a small bottle of Port, by way of apology. This wasn't expected...and I was very impressed. Kudos to the staff.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We loved this hotel. The accomodations were above average. The bed was very comfortable and the room was relaxing. The best part was the view! Request a high floor. We were on the 21st floor and I took a photo from the room out towards the square each night, as the light changed. I have about 20 of them.

Another great thing, was the train, Metro, comes right into the ground floor of the hotel. Each day we would plan our trip, and head downstairs, and go to our destination. The people who worked at the train were very helpful. We saved tons of money this way and were able to get everywhere in the city that we wanted t go. The front desk and conceierge were as well, they had many good ideas on what to do.

Skip the bar of you want to eat. A plate of nachos and two drink costs about $40! The best thing about Montreal is the food, and there are so many restaurants, you should get one dish to split at one so you can go to another and taste something else. There are many restaurants and pubs in walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple