“Great way to spend an afternoon in Montreal”

Centre d'Histoire de Montreal
Book In Advance
More Info
US$94.54*
and up
Montreal Attraction Pass
Ranked #65 of 415 things to do in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in a former fire station, this museum explores Montreal's history from the 1600s to the present.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The permanent exhibit on the first floor is a really great, simple (and quick) introduction to the history of Montreal from 1600 - present. The meatier temporary exhibit on the second floor called "Scandal" is dedicated to vice, crime and nightlife in Montreal during the first half of the 20th century. This was fabulous - super interesting content, with lots of interactive exhibits and multimedia. The whole museum took about 2 hours or so to get through at a very leisurely pace.

Highly recommend - especially while the "Scandal" exhibit is on display.

Afterwards, grab a panini at Olive + Gourmand around the corner and have lunch by the water. A perfect afternoon!

3  Thank Jen C
There are newer reviews for Centre d'Histoire de Montreal

Reviewed 28 May 2014

There were two exhibits on display: the excellent permanent exhibit on the city's history from first humans to the present, and a temporary one "Scandal." They were both interesting; I particularly liked the permanent one. It gave the information on Montreal's history in a variety of engaging presentations. I enjoyed the time I spent there and glad we went.

2  Thank Penelope C
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We enjoyed our visit to this museum and it was good value for CAD $6 each. It has a simple but effective approach and we'd recommend it to anyone that wants a quick and enjoyable introduction to Montreal's history. When we visited in mid-May 2014 there was a floor dedicated to Montreal's period of being the party-capital of North America - it focused on drink, music, prostitution and corruption - very interesting.

2  Thank Magic C
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The exposition on Scandal about Montreal between 1940-60 is fabulous, with lots of multimedia and interactive displays. However what really impressed me was that this place is set up to be comfortable and accessible to those who are mobility challenged (or tourists with sore feet). Unlike most of the museums we went to in montreal, this place is fully accessible for wheelchairs, and also, has chairs and areas to sit in each of the little module areas of the display area, so someone on a cane can move easily from one area to another. Each module has interesting things to look at, or listen to, read or watch. I was very impressed with how they made this interesting, different, and how accessible it is as well.

2  Thank kristina a
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have to say. My impressions of the Centre d'Historie de Montreal changed considerably after I visited the more famous & glamorous Point-A-Calliere Museum.

The Centre D'Historie gave me a very good footing which served me very well when I visited Point-a-Calliere. Having visited both museums on consecutive days I learned very much about the history of Montreal and came away feeling like I really knew a lot about this great city.

The Centre d'Historie presents the development of Montreal in a very hands-on, easy to understand way. The history of the city begins with the indigenous population (of which you will learn on the ground floor) and continues with the invasion of the European powers from the 1600's onward, until modern day Montreal, with its characteristic French-English-Canadian features. The museum uses several media (pictures, books, tactile exhibits, video, audio etc) to give you a 360-degrees understanding of life in Montreal from its inception until today.

I also really enjoyed the exhibition "Scandal" which described Montreal during the years of Prohibitionism (in the USA) and how the city was able to adapt to cater to a lot of thirsty Americans and grew into the "Paris of the West".

I recommend visiting this museum first and then (possibly the next day as there is a lot of information to metabolize), paying a visit to the Point-A-Calliere Museum, to all those who are interested in learning about the history of Montreal.

4  Thank el_ser83