“Home from home”

Ranked #4 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Five minutes from Place d'Armes métro station and opposite the harbour front of the old port, this is a quirky 'hotel' with a real warmth and charm, not to mention enormous and beautiful rooms that will put a smile on any weary traveller's face when they walk in, as it did mine.
It's like a cross between a hotel and a B+B, with the best of both. Rooms are very fully equipped, with coffee maker and filter coffee, toaster oven, and minibar even in the 'standard' rooms.
My bathroom was beautifully tiled and appointed, really spacious, and with a huge and powerful shower that I appreciated after a day out in minus 20 degree Montréal in February. The Auberge is very cosy indeed in winter. Beautiful, super clean linen and generally high standards make your stay all the better.
The staff aren't there all the time, but when they are, they're very charming and friendly. There's a door code to get into the Auberge at all times and it's a good idea to ask for the code before you arrive, though not essential.
It was winter, so there weren't many revellers in the area and it was generally very quiet. My room was at the back of the hotel and I couldn't really hear even the occasional trains that pass just across the road.
Location is a strong point, right in the middle of Vieux Montréal. Could hardly be better.
You don't get breakfast but I recommend the delightful Maison Christian Faure, a patisserie just a minute away.
Vieux Montréal is littered with cafés, restaurants, bars, galleries and interesting squares. And there's the harbour too.
I would have liked kettle so I didn't have to make coffee flavoured tea with the coffee maker. And you should be aware there's no elevator if that's a problem for you. Car parking could mean some compromises, but that didn't affect me. Some people might find the furnishings a bit random and the TV had seen better days, but this didn't detract from the charm for me. It felt homely.
Overall, we loved the Auberge and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are at the back, like 101/201
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrew B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
South Bend, IN
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I am a frequent business traveler and have stayed in large chain hotels, small boutique hotels, and everything in between. I found this hotel online in a nice area of Montreal and thought I'd give it a try. It has NO ELEVATOR, and you must carry your luggage up multiple flights of stairs. The staff will not assist you. Your name and room number are listed on large chalkboards in the lobby for anyone to see. Your passcode to access the building is a guest's last name, which you can see from the exterior door. This did not make me feel safe. Your name is also written on the door of your room. Again, not feeling comfortable with this. The door to your room is propped upon until you check in. This means that any passer-by can swipe things from your minibar and you'll get a surprise when the bill comes for it later. There were used tissues on the floor of my room. My neighbors were having "relations" and the walls were so thin that I actually heard body parts slapping together over my television. The floor in my room was so slanted that the foot of my bed with higher than the head of it. This is bad for digestion and blood circulation. I ended up reorienting myself. The location is nice and the layout of the room was nice, but I won't be returning or recommending this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank smileytess
Lakefield, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Exactly what we'd hoped for a one night stopover on our way to the Eastern Townships. Friendly, charming character hotel close to all the great walking adventures and dining in Old Montreal. Our room was delightful: clean, neat with a comfy bed with a smothering duvet. Great value and would recommend and return. Their website is very accurate, no surprises whatsoever.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

A charming boutique hotel with character, over looking the port. Our room was very large with several port facing windows allowing a nice natural light. It included a spa hot tub which was most welcome after a day touring the sights in February.
Staff were friendly although only there during the day, however there was a 24hr helpline.
Close to local restaurants and cafe's offering a wide selection of food experiences, and accessible to Montreal on foot.
The hotel was comfortable and the room spacious, providing us with a delightful experience. There was a selection of nibbles and drinks available in the room, along with complimentary tea and coffee. A small toaster/oven was in the room for those on a budget.
Highly recommended!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Beautiful old world charm, clean, and comfy! Bed was comfy, and lovely linen. Location is amazing! I would definitely return, but would request room facing water, as alley can be quite loud early in the am.

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel was nice and homey. We like to stay at boutique hotels when we travel outside the U.S.and this was definitely a quaint place. We stayed on the second floor and like the last reviewer our room faced the alley which meant we heard trash trucks or something early every morning. Since we were traveling with no itinerary it didn't bother us much however we would recommend requesting a 3rd floor room as we could hear loud footsteps above us which seemed like much of the night. Again for us it was not a deal breaker and would stay again but with a room on a higher level and facing the water.
Although not much to do in winter but A LOT of walking and city exploring, the hotel does seem to be in a good location for summer travel. We also def. recommend Pub St. Patrick's for a drink and for the views of the water.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The inn is great. It felt like home. I liked the fact that the room had a toaster oven. The staff was friendly but a little too casual. Almost to the point that everything was self serve. Stayed a few nights during the winter so there was no breakfast for some reason. Little did I know that old montreal was closed during the winter. I mean almost everything except for hotels and fancy restaurants. We had to go pretty far just to get breakfast. In the winter this location is not the best. But I can hardly fault the inn for it being winter. I would come again but only when old montreal is open for business. Our room was facing the back alley so it got pretty noisy around 7AM because of garbage trucks or something.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple