“comfortable place - but too many stairs”
Review of Hotel Ambrose

Hotel Ambrose
Ranked #71 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“comfortable place - but too many stairs”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Friendly service - the room was comfortable
Loved the clean white linens
but i found the stairs too much
but then it is an old and beautiful house
Good breakfast too
GREAT location - close to the art gallery.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ricklion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We booked on the same day and as a result got a great deal so the room was only $95 with parking for the night which is fantastic for right in downtown Montreal. The gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant and I think had we had more luggage he would have offered to help us up the flights of stairs with it. Room was also very clean and the bed although a double was comfy. My only complaint was that the shower temperature varied but given that it is an old brownstone this is to be expected.

Room Tip: I think there were some rooms without the bathroom in the same room (although still private you woul...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fragglefish
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 November 2013

In a neighborhood full of fancy hotels that also cost an arm and a leg, this is a great value. This property consists of several adjacent rowhouses on rue Stanley that were connected to each other and the rooms converted to hotel rooms. There are winding stairwells, no elevators that I found, the rooms are on the small side, but very well furnished, with good soft linens on the bed, high quality towels in the bathroom, dispensers of some sort of herbal soap/shampoo with rosemary in it. There was a huge flat-screen TV in the room, and an alarm clock with a port for your iPod/iPhone.

The service at the front desk was gracious and extremely helpful, the front desk staff was fluent in both French and English, the continental breakfast was nice and tasty.

My one gripe was the slow and inconsistent WiFi network - sometimes it simply did not work, and at other times it was too slow to do much. The purpose of my trip was business, and like many people these days, I depend on good internet access to do work. During my stay at this hotel, I didn't feel like I could stay in my room and do the work I wanted on my laptop.

In summary, this is a good place to stay if you are in shape to climb hills and stairs, with comfortable rooms and great hospitality from the staff, great value for downtown Montreal, but not the most convenient for a business traveler.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Oleg B
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Chose this hotel based on reviews. Staff is very eager to help and very courteous. No elevators, lots of stairs.
Very comfortable bed and very quiet. Didn't hear a sound. Good continental breakfast. Very old building, but well-kept. Our room had what appeared to be new laminate flooring.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Turpy23
Sasktoon
Reviewed 3 September 2013

So...my wife and I left the booking of the hotel until we were on the way :)... As luck would have it, we found this gem in the heart of the Mount Royal/St Catherines St/downtown area. We had a blast in this mansion-turned-into-a-hotel. The room was great - the service was great - the location was great. The only drawback was the limited/crowded parking and the fact that it was booked for our second night so we had to find another hotel.

Room Tip: Book early ... parking is tight and some of the rooms are small (they will warn you of this) but tha...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank negraeffr
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I was in Montreal on business and stayed at Hotel Ambrose for 7 nights. The Hotel is charming, warm and best of all, the staff are amazing!! They are very friendly and helpful. Every time I came in and out of the Hotel they greeted me with a smile. I stayed in a superior queen room that was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely and it was nice to have coffee and tea available all day long. When I return to Montreal, I will be staying at Hotel Ambrose for sure!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank swissystyle
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed a weekend at Hotel Ambrose and were, overall, satisfied with the experience. Our Superior Queen room was attractive and comfortable, and the service was friendly. The location is excellent, situated right in the Golden Square Mile, a block up from busy and attractive Rue Sherbrooke, the Ritz Carlton, and countless restaurants and upscale shops. All that said, I think there is room for improvement. The breakfast (croissants, toast, cold cereal, and hard boiled eggs) was not particularly impressive and we skipped it our second morning, in favor of something a little more substantial from a nearby cafe. While our room was nice, it was not as clean as it could have been, and after a half hour of crawling around on the floor, my little daughter's feet and knees were grey with dirt. Also, we had some difficulties with the water temperature/pressure in our bathroom and I ended up taking a cold shower because the water wouldn't get warm, no matter what I did with the faucet handle.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family