“Glad I cancelled my reservation there!!”
Review of Hotel Ambrose

Hotel Ambrose
Ranked #74 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2004

I am glad I cancelled my reservation at the Manoir Ambrose Inn! I am a diabetic,and due to worsening diabetic-related health issues,I was under medical advice to cancel my entire Montreal trip this week. I regret only cancelling the trip. I have stayed in Holiday Inn,:Midtown,Sheraton Midtown, also Hotel de la Montagne. All of these hotels,esp Hotel de la Montagne,and the Sheraton,are far better than the Monoir Ambrose Inn. After I sent an e-mail letter 48 hours to the Innkeeper,advising them of my reasons for cancelling,I received a rather uncivil and rude and nasty reply. They wanted to charge me for the room. Based upon the comments here,this Inn is no bargain. In the words of the Film Industry (which I work for) the Manoir Ambrose Inn is a "Stiff"!! In future,the Manoir Ambrose Inn will not receive any business from me. I DO NOT recommend this Inn AT ALL. There are better Inns in Ottawa,London,Kingston.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

virginia
Reviewed 2 November 2004

having tried several places in montreal i will always return to manoir ambrose it's location, price and decor are unparalleled. never dissastisfied.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 28 September 2004

I was utterly impressed with my stay at the Ambrose Manoir this weekend in Montreal.

The price was 112(CAD) after all taxes (2 people).

I was a little concerned because of the way they told me my suite was in the basement and the bathroom was seperate (private w/key- but outside the room). However, when I got their I thought that it was awesome - it was like a cozy basement apartment. The room looked just as good as any hotel room and the bathroom was really clean an original.

The location is also perfect. Right near St. Catherines and about a ten minute walk to the train station. As well, the outside of the building had this awesome vintage old Montreal feel to it.

I was completely satisfied.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Burlington, CT
Reviewed 27 April 2004

The Manoir Ambrose is reasonably priced, quiet and in a convenient location, near the McGill campus and the nightlife on Rue Crescent. Our room was small but decently furnished, though the water pressure on the third floor made the tiny shower a bit trying. Also, the climb up the narrow, steep stairs might be difficult for some folks.Nobody should expect first-class amenities in a small hotel at that price, but one might hope for a little more charm. The staff was inattentive and rather cold and the continental breakfast was paltry and bland.Overall, it's not a bad deal if the location suits you. Otherwise, you can probably do better elsewhere.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 17 November 2003

The Ambrose was recommended in Frommer's Budget Traveler magazine and lived up to the review...it was clean, the staff was friendly and the location was good. What more do you want for $65 (US) a night. We encountered none of the problems that others dealt with...fortunately, I guess!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, ON
Reviewed 19 February 2003

This was absolutely the worst hotel experience I have ever had. When a friend of ours tried to call our room, the concierge would not transfer her call, and proceeded to call our room to tell us (angrily) that we had woken her up. In addition, she actually came to our room, said that we were told that we could not have a phone call after 10:30pm (which we were never told), and insulted us, saying we "needed to learn how to hear". Because of her rudeness, we left the hotel in the morning and stayed somewhere else the following night. She even had the audacity to make us pay for 2 nights... we were just glad to get out of there! I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 November 2002

The Manoir Ambrose is in a very good location, close to stores and the subway. It's in a quiet area and for the price, we found it to be very good. Any other place in this area would cost double. If you have unlimited expenses, sure, pay for a 5 star hotel, but for travellers on a budget, this place is fine.

2  Thank carolinchina