“Good and clean but felt squeezed in.”
Review of Hotel Ambrose

Hotel Ambrose
Ranked #71 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Denver, Colorado
“Good and clean but felt squeezed in.”
Reviewed 10 July 2009

We went to this hotel because it was recommended by Fodors. The location is great. The place offers paid parking if you reserve it in advance. The breakfast in the morning is sufficient to fuel you in the morning. The staff is very friendly - if you are arriving early or departing later, they can store your luggage before you check in/ after you check out. Check out the stairs near the reception, looks like a mirror!

However, the room was extremely small. We had shower cubicle and a sink inside the room and the toilet outside (the manager did tell us this when making the reservation). Our blanket had tiny holes in it. Also, no elevators here - you will have to carry your luggage to your room - so travel light! For what you get, the room felt pricey for $100 + taxes (which is quite high in Montreal).

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Stocholm
Reviewed 24 October 2007

After reviewing the web site of this hotel, I was already charmed. Service on arrival was very courteous and helpful in planning our stay in Montreal. The room was large, very clean, comfortable and very quiet.
We had a very pleasant trip in Montreal largely due to the recommandations of the manager (Lucie) and to the easy access of most point of interest in Montreal, including the old city and underground shopping area.
I highly recommand this hotel for its charming victorian style, a good price and an excellent service.

• Liked — Location, atmosphere and service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Birgitta44
Edmonton
Reviewed 7 June 2007

The hotel is in a great location to be downtown and close to the Metro. The standard room is VERY small and needs some work. The rugs are old and stained and the room also smelled like urine. You must beware that even though the hotel site states they have wireless internet, what we didnt know until we got here is that its extra money to get a username and password to access their server. Luckily we are only here one night because we can barely open our suitcases and you definetely cant walk around the bed with them open.

Stayed June 2007
Reviewed 21 January 2006

We picked this location for our stay in Montreal because of its downtown location and novelty of staying in a small inn off the beaten path. We weren't disappointed.

The staff was helpful and accomodating throughout our stay. Our flight arrived in Montreal at around 1am and after checking with the management in advance we were able to check in at this late hour. Even though the staffer "on duty" that night had to get out of bed to check us in, we still felt welcomed.

Our room was on the top floor and had a private bathroom. The room was clean, well-maintained and more spacious than I expected. No, it's not as big as a room at the Hilton or Sheraton would be, but we didn't feel cramped.

The complimentary breakfast was definitely not the highlight of our stay. There were a few choices of dry breads and muffins, as well as coffee, tea, juice and milk. The breakfast room felt like we were eating in a staff lunch room.

This was a charming hotel for our stay in Montreal. It's definitely a different experience than staying at one of the large chain hotels, but I truly enjoyed it. As already mentioned, the hotel has a great location - just off the McGill Campus, right downtown, a block from a Metro station. I would have a hard time visiting Montreal and NOT staying at the Manoir Ambrose....I'm very pleased.

• Stayed May 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 August 2005

Our stay at Manoir Ambrose was very comfortable and quiet. Although the weather was very warm outside, the AC and the portable fan kept us very comfortable. The room was clean and roomy enough. Definitely above average for the price paid. The manager and evening staff were very pleasant to deal with.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 December 2004

I am glad I cancelled my reservation at the Manoir Ambrose Inn! I am a diabetic,and due to worsening diabetic-related health issues,I was under medical advice to cancel my entire Montreal trip this week. I regret only cancelling the trip. I have stayed in Holiday Inn,:Midtown,Sheraton Midtown, also Hotel de la Montagne. All of these hotels,esp Hotel de la Montagne,and the Sheraton,are far better than the Monoir Ambrose Inn. After I sent an e-mail letter 48 hours to the Innkeeper,advising them of my reasons for cancelling,I received a rather uncivil and rude and nasty reply. They wanted to charge me for the room. Based upon the comments here,this Inn is no bargain. In the words of the Film Industry (which I work for) the Manoir Ambrose Inn is a "Stiff"!! In future,the Manoir Ambrose Inn will not receive any business from me. I DO NOT recommend this Inn AT ALL. There are better Inns in Ottawa,London,Kingston.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 November 2004

having tried several places in montreal i will always return to manoir ambrose it's location, price and decor are unparalleled. never dissastisfied.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member