“Great location...but that's about it”

Hotel Espresso Montreal Centre-Ville/Downtown
Ranked #89 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Quebec City, Canada
“Great location...but that's about it”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I didn't like that hotel. It is very well located downtown and of walking distance to the metro, Sainte-Catherine St, Peel St, etc. but it isn't worth saving money to go there.

Looks like an old worn out building from outside. First room we got seemed clean at first, but then I found hair everywhere: on the beds, on the bathroom countertop and a huge chunk on the bathroom floor. That last part grossed me out and had me go back to the reception to tell them about it.

I was surprised they didn't offer to change my room asap; instead, they offered to send someone to clean it up. I didn't understand: you are going to vacuum while we're in the room?? Pretend it was clean at first? And then what about the hair we haven't seen, like in the linens?!

Anyway, a supervisor finally came to check the room, apologized many times for the hair in the room and changed us for another room. They were really nice about it, but honestly, if I ever choose a 3 star hotel in that area again, I am not going back there. I don't necessarily need a lot of luxury, but I need higher quality than that.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Stefano D, General Manager at Hotel Espresso Montreal Centre-Ville/Downtown, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about the unfortunate incident that you encountered during your recent stay. Rest assured that issues of this nature are relatively rare but nevertheless they will be seriously addressed in order to prevent them from re-occurring. It is with comments such as yours that we are able to offer our customers a better product and service.
If needed, I am available to discuss this matter with you. I hope to see you back at Hotel Espresso Montreal in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Stefano De Vito

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This was definitely way off beam from what we expected. It was more like a hostel for school groups etc. Having said that it was clean and room although sparcely furnished with mock laminate floors it was clean and all staff we met were cheerful and helpful. The breakfast offered was adequate but not great quality. Do not think I would stay here again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
I want to apologize for the disturbance that some of our guests may have caused during your recent stay. I would like to suggest that the next time you can ask for a room on our corporate floor in order to enjoy a quieter space. Please contact me directly on your next passage to Montreal and I will do my best to ensure that you have a wonderful stay.

Kind Regards,
Stefano De Vito
canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with 31 fourteen year olds as this was an end of year trip for my students. The other chaperones and I were very please with his hotel. One perk that they offer is that there is coffee -- espresso (hence the name) and regular coffee at any time of day. With 31 fourteen year olds that surely was a treat. The hotel rooms were also very nice -- with hard wood floors and spaciousness. The exception area was unite inviting as well. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, perhaps the next time with my husband only. LOL!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Newington, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel and right away could tell that it would not be exactly what I expected. The complimentary shots of esspresso and teas were nice, but certainly not enough for me to want to come back.
for starters, for a hotel that claims to be pet friendly, I was profoundly disappointed. For the premium of $15 a night just to have him there, i found it profoundly frustrating and also a bit comical that the entire staff seemed to be absolutely terrified of my 10 pound puppy. I stayed there for a total of four days and didnt even receive fresh bed sheets or towels until mid way through the 3rd day simply because my puppy was in the room and they were too affraid to come in the room..... and thats despite leaving my request for fresh linens on the door as instructed early the next morning after arriving. I was instructed to hang the request on the bathroom door. But that only works if anyone actually comes in the room to see it. THEY DID NOT. I had to ask the front desk for clean towles and linens and even offered to make the bed myself as long as I could get some clean linens.
There was seemingly the same people just hanging out in the lobby (not staff) every single time I had to go downstairs. Creeped me out a bit. there was also a lot of noise in the hotel.
And the hotel can certaily use some simple upgrades.
On a positive note, the staff at the front desk was mostly nice and helpful and the location of the hotel was extremely convenient. If you can get a good deal on this hotel, then the simple fact that you are within walking distance from downtown, the belle center and about 200 restaurants may make it worth your wild.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank hotelwatch127
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent 3 nights here while attending the Mondiale de la Biere in June 2014. We booked the room through the Priceline "Name Your Own Price" feature and were pleased. The hotel is centrally located, with good access to the Metro and to good pubs and restaurants. The hotel is showing its age but is clean. The staff was very helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel is situated about a block and a half from St Catherine's Street and about 5 blocks to rue Crescent. Rue Crescent is very popular with many many fine dining choices. Many local bars along St Catherine's in either direction as well. Buses and trains are easily obtained from here, the underground shopping and old Montreal are each about a $10 cab ride away. Excellent central location at a good rate and the rooms are very clean and well maintained. Probably why they have a govt contract to house Cree First Nations and out of town Quebecers who need to come into Montreal for hospital care. Great location for all of your Montreal adventures with very helpful front desk staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WarrenCWade
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We liked the location and staff of this hotel. It is classified as a 4 star but it needed so much maintenance would only give it a 3 star. The Staff was helpful and friendly but the cleaning staff was slow and didn't clean well. Floor was not mopped and sink was dirty. We were there for F! race so very busy but still not quite up to standard

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends