“Nice hotel, but choose your room carefully”
Review of Hotel Chez Swann

Hotel Chez Swann
Ranked #62 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This is a nice hotel in the heart of downtown Montreal. Very well located if you want to be downtown, close to the metro and many great attractions. We were there for the Jazz festival and it was a nice close walk to the festivities. The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms themselves are spacious. But be warned as to which room you stay in. We were on the 2nd floor (there are only 3 levels) and right above the very large restaurant that the hotel basically sits above. The music, specifically the bass, coming from the restaurant was quite annoying. I noted that others have complained of this, and an off site manager has said they had the speakers shielded. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to shield bass. The music started early in the morning and went until at least 130 am most nights.

The other issue was the noise from upstairs. The floors in the hotel are hardwood - and sound from people walking around on the floor above us was very loud. Overall, if you are looking to sleep in at all (or go to be early!), this hotel will make it challenging.

If you choose to stay here, ask for a room on the 3rd floor and as far from the restaurant as possible.

Room Tip: Top floor, not above the restaurant
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bluetrane

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Nice boutique hotel in downtown Montreal. Clean, comfortable and not too noisy. Chic but not pretentious. Very close to the subway, and a few blocks from McGill - perfect location. Would highly recommend for couples. Nearby parking ran $15/night midweek.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
DSwann, General Manager at Hotel Chez Swann, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Being in the heart of downtown really helps when you want to go exploring. Thank you for pointing out that we're close to many attractions and conveniently steps away from a metro station. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Hotel Chez Swann is a gorgeous, unique and hip boutique hotel in downtown Montreal. My husband and I booked it for our one year anniversary in June of 2012. I wanted a hip and modern boutique feel and that is certainly what Hotel Chez Swann offers. Let me break it down for you now.

The Room:
The room was by far the most impressive and satisfying part of our stay. We walked into a spacious, high ceiling room with black hardwood floors and a gorgeous King sized bed. The windows were huge and had sheer drapes that let in the beautiful sunny outside. The desk made for a great area to set some of our smaller items and the wardrobe was really cute and functional. The bathroom-OH THE BATHROOM!!!!!!!!! The shower was probably our favorite feature. It is basically two showers in one with multiple jets for each person. It was romantic and made the room so couple friendly. Also, the bath products the hotel provided from Bella Pella were fabulous. Smelled so delicious and I totally wanted to purchase some but honestly forgot by the end of my trip. The television was situated directly across from our bed, but it really did not offer many channels and the ones it did were in French. We didnt watch much television anyway, but if thats something you enjoy I'd suggest bringing a DVD player or a laptop to watch movies on. Internet was fine and fast. I was really happy to have it since my phone had to be off in Canada to avoid roaming fees.

The Service:
The staff is pretty limited at Hotel Chez Swann. Seems like they just have one concierge and a cleaning girl. The guy we dealt with for the most part was friendly and helpful but seemed a bit lacking in his knowledge of the city. As we checked out, we encountered a female concierge who knew a lot more and gave us plenty of tips on how to get where we wanted to go on our last day. My husband and I are really into exploring new cities, so in the end, we kinda took it upon ourselves to find the kinds of things we wanted to do, but more on that later.

The Location:
Okay this is my ONLY beef with Hotel Chez Swann. Why this location?!??! This part of town is stupid, for lack of a better word. Okay okay...its REALLY close to the Metro so thats great and all, but the part of St. Catherine that is down the block is all superstore type shopping (examples: Forever 21, Louis Vuitton, a few malls, drug stores, etc). It was just totally NOT our style. The hotel itself is so cool and chic and it just seems like it would make so much more sense in the Plateau area (where we spent most of our time). I don't know, perhaps a lot of tourists hit up Montreal FOR this kind of shopping and if thats why you are going, then this is a GREAT location. It just was not for us at all. One thing on the location was that next to the hotel is a smoothie joint (a chain smoothie joint but whatever i suppose) that we went to a few times. One of the guys working there was super helpful and gave us some great exploring tips. He was also happy to make conversation with a "dumb tourist" like me unlike some of the other Montreal natives who want nothing to do with tourists. (haha...hey im the same way with tourists in new york so I get it).

To go along with location, I'm gonna give a few tips for getting around. Directly outside the hotel is a Bixi bike share. THIS IS SO COOL. My husband and I bought 3 day Metro passes our first day (STUPID!!!!) and barely used them once we figured out the bike situation. The corner that Hotel Chez Swann sits on (Maisoonauve???) has a very safe and easy bike lane that we basically took EVERYWHERE. My husband and I rode bikes to explore during the day, to fancy-ish dinners at night and for drinks at a few bars. We just really enjoyed this part of Montreal and felt it was a great way to see the city while burning some calories (which you need to do if you are going to try all of the awesome food out in Montreal!!!)

Finally: I would not recommend this hotel for people with kids. The area is not good for that either considering there are some seedy lookin' strip clubs on St. Catherine and some side streets. Yuck.

Just a few suggestions for places to go and eat:
- La Petit Plateau on Marie-Anne: awesome home cooked meal type French food and its BYOB (which is a MUST in montreal! the food and drinks get REAL expensive)
- O-Thym in the Gay Village (on Maissonauve)...by far our favorite restaurant...French modern bistro MMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
- Blizzarts on St. Laurent. The area is "ehhh" but Blizzarts is a cool hipster bar with awesome decor and GREAT jams.
- GO TO LA FONTAINE PARK ON THE WEEKENDS. its a crazy cool hippy park in the Plateau/Latin Quarter (i think) area. WAY cool picnic spot for the younger hip crowd.
- Jean-Talon market!!! GO! We went almost everyday. It's just so cool and awesome. GUHHHH I loved it so much. GO GO GO GO GO !!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Inmydreams27
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I found Chez Swann through hotels.com and was a little worried when I kept reading reviews about how 'chic' it was. In my experience, chic often equals "too cool to enjoy guests." That wasn't the case here. From the moment I walked up to the registration desk, I felt welcome and enjoyed everyone I dealt with at the hotel.

The rooms are stylish, large for an urban hotel, and the little touches are great: dual iPod docks, huge flat screen t.v., and a huge double shower.

The location makes it great for business travelers who are in town for McGill, Concordia, and surrounding businesses. The proximity to shopping and great restaurants makes it great for couples. Not really what I would choose for a family vacation - no pool or real kid amenities.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GWSD
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We arrived at the hotel and thought we had struck gold. This is a beautiful, chic hotel in a great location. The price was very good and initially exceeded our expectations. The staff were very helpful and provided great restaurant recommendations.

It all went down hill on our second night in the hotel. I woke up with an itchy spot on my arm, but I didn't think anything of it. On the third morning I woke up and saw a brownish/red bug crawling across the white sheet. We caught it in a glass and put it on the table. We called down to the front desk and proceeded to take the bed apart to search for more predators. Fortunately, we didn't see any others, but I found multiple bites on both arms.

The hotel attendant had no clue what to do. He was completely unaware of protocol and didn't provide any guidance or assistance other than to bring us the garbage bags we had requested. While we waited for the manager to start her shift we showered, washed our hair, inspected our clothes for the day and packed all our belongings in garbage bags. When she did eventually come to the room, she didn't inspect it and had the nerve to suggest that we picked it up at a restaurant.....perhaps one of the restaurants they recommended??? How insensitive and ridiculous! No apologies, no assistance, no accountability.

Their biggest worry was cleaning the room in time for the next guests to arrive. I told them they couldn't let anyone in the room until it had been thoroughly inspected and fumigated. Given their initial response, I'd be surprised if they did either of theses things.

To be safe, we left behind our suitcase and computer bag behind. We spent the rest of the day driving back to Toronto and in a laundromat where we washed EVERYTHING in hot water and dried them for 2 hours. Needless to say, we ruined several articles of clothing and form many months we lived with the anxiety of possibly brining bed bugs into our home.

To make matters worse, I had a terrible allergic reaction to the bites and my arm swelled up for two weeks after the initial contact.

We were not expecting to have the room comped or to be reimbursed for the suitcase and clothes, but we were expecting an apology. Not once did they apologize, take accountability, or express sympathy. A truly terrible experience and I don't know if I can bring myself to stay in another hotel. Chez Swan is a very nice hotel, it's clean and well decorated, but you just never know.

The owners of this hotel MUST teach their staff how to deal with bed bugs or the entire place will be infested in no time. What a shame because it really is a nice spot.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank BRauchToronto
Dwayne N, General Manager at Hotel Chez Swann, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

The bed bug problem that you refer to was the only one that we have encountered.
As soon as you called the front desk, we took the good steps indeed by wrapping all the linen, carpet and suitcase in plastic bags and brought them to a specific company who disposed of the bags. The same day we called an exterminator who inspected and fumigated the room. We did not rent the room for weeks after. The exterminator did not find any other bed bugs other than the baby one that you put in a glass of water. We also treated, fumigated and inspected all of the hotel rooms as a preventive measure and did not find anything.
All our housekeepers and front desk staff have the proper training to fight this North America scourge and we verify every room every day.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I was in town for a creative conference and I wanted to stay somewhere within walking distance to the event. I had a great experience at Hotel Chez Swann and found the staff particularly helpful and friendly. The room was nicely designed and very clean, which I loved. I'm a bit of a sunlight hound, so my only wish was having more sunlight in the room (1 window, which was on the smaller side). However, for the price and location, it's a fabulous value. Merci for the nice stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I'm a bit tired of chain hotels, so when there was a trip to Montreal recently, a stay at a unique hotel was in the cards.

Hotel Chez Swann is exactly what it purports to be. A stylish, chic unique hotel experience. The rooms are well appointed, the location is convenient being a block north of St. Catherine just off Rue de la Montagne, and parking is just conveniently off-site.

The decor is tastefully, and cool, with some nice touches. Staff is great -- friendly, unpretentious, a just little bit slow enough to make it not seem like you're checking into a three hundred room property.

The 'peek-a-boo' shower is interesting, but can still afford privacy for the modest with a curtain. The beds comfortable, and the only complaint being the pillows are a bit flat and hard -- a highly personal issue.

For the rate, the location, the experience, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple