“Had a good time in 209”

Ranked #57 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Lyme, New Hampshire, United States
“Had a good time in 209”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was very impressed with the hotel. I was going to Montreal for a wedding and wanted to splurge and get something different and "cool". I booked this hotel mainly because I heard the shower was really cool. Check in time is 3 so I asked at the time of reservation if I could get an early check and they said 1 was the best they could try for but couldn't make any promises. We got there at 1 and the room wasn't ready - the wedding was at 2 so we went downstairs to the bathroom and changed. They held out bags for us. When we returned later that night the bags were already in the room and I couldn't believe how HUGE the room was when I walked in. They said it was a suite. I immediately fell in love with the giant window sill. The steps were a little weird and the floor was black so it was hard to see them. I never tripped but thought I was going to a few times. There was a small rug but it was uncomfortable to walk on so we just walked around it. The shower was cool and lived up to expectations. Not sure why I didn't look at a picture beforehand. We didn't even try the breakfast since we'd rather pay to get a better experience. We walked around the corner to eggspectations and it was awesome. There's a parking garage right around the corner as well which we found and parked before we even know the hotel gave a $4 discount if you park there.

I can see how it might not be as good for families, or maybe I lucked out and got the best room, and I live with hardwood floors anyways so that doesn't bother me. My boyfriend and I had a lovely time and when I checked out they remembered who I was and what room I was in before I said anything. I thought that added a nice personal touch. Maybe that's easy to do when they have so few rooms?

Room Tip: 209 was huge and had a window (which I hear some do not have), but there's no curtain on the sho...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dwayne N, General Manager at Hotel Chez Swann, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words. Our bay window seating in our suites allows for great people watching, a great place to read a book or just to let the sun warm you up. All of our rooms that have stairs also have mini pot lights that makes it easier to see the two steps. In addition, the 2nd floor is the only floor with stairs in the rooms. When you stay again, be sure to try the Sunday Brunch at our restaurant, Le Pois Penche.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This hotel is flashy, decadent, and somewhat intimate. It's a nice place if you are willing to pay their regular room rates--which seem to skyrocket on random occasions. However, if you book them through a discount travel website, prepare for an entirely different quality of service. They made it clear from the moment we walked in the door that because we booked through Hotwire we would not be treated the same. I have never experienced this differentiation at any other hotel in North America.

So, when we first arrived after a ten hour train ride from NYC, they told us they couldn't find the booking and had nothing available. They tried to blame Hotwire for double booking, but in reality they just wanted to convince the low-paying Hotwire scoundrels to go somewhere else so they could squeeze in a last minute full-paying booking. After an hour of us not leaving, the front desk agent made one suspiciously quick phone call, and a room magically became vacant. He then informed us of their normal rates and emphasized that we were just lucky to be there with as low as we paid. To his credit he offered us a free continental breakfast for our troubles. This also served as our luxurious upgrade since we had just gotten married. It's important to note that their minimalist continental breakfast is already free to non-Hotwire customers.

So, the next morning we did decide to indulge in a stale croissant or two, but after they found out our room number, we were asked to leave. We were literally the only ones eating this pointless breakfast, but still they just couldn't stand to have some Hotwire freeloaders enjoying one of their three cardboard-tasting pastries and bad coffee.

After we checked out a couple hours later we snatched a couple of their complimentary energy drinks that they for some reason offer in the lobby. Their large, agitated manager looked like he wanted to punch us in the face he was so angry over our, once again, penurious ways.

Insulting treatment and terrible sense of customer service. As far as decor, it's a nice place, but there are other downtown Montreal hotels with nice rooms and . . . if you can imagine, people who treat their guests with respect.

6 Thank ProfessorMK
On the behalf of the entire team we apologize that you did not enjoy your experience at the Hotel!
We were also disappointed that you felt that the service that was given was not up to the standards that we enjoying sharing with everyone of our guests.

As in many Hotels and Booking sites overbooking with last minute booking can occur and reservations can become overlapped. In any event of this happening we will always work our hardest and quickest to remedy the situation in order to accommodate you without any regards to your booking price.

Our continental breakfast that is served at the restaurant of the Hotel, Brasserie Le Pois Penché, is included on some of the deals and different packages come with this option included, others can decide to take it next to the charge of your room as in all packages.

I am certain that you experienced a misunderstanding by perceiving that we were not going to host you at the restaurant for breakfast or taking care of you at the lobby, still we also want to apologize for the confusion and we are also taking count of what happen to avoid any future bad experiences.

Finally we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your staying and we hope to have a new opportunity to offer you a memorable and outstanding experience at our hotel and our restaurant.
Wallington, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This is a very charming hotel located in the heart of Montreal. We were very fortunate to find this hotel and our experience here enhanced our vacation. The hotel is small, with only 2 floors of rooms, which means the staff is attentive and available. The rooms are modern, clean and surprisingly spacious. Thanks to the friendly and very knowledgeable German Coy, at the front desk, who gave us information for all the amazing restaurants and attractions the city had to offer. He told us about an "off-the-beaten-path" restaurant for brunch on Sunday and we loved it. A delicious continental breakfast was included with our room and is offered by the restaurant next to the hotel making it very convenient. I would recommend this hotel for it's beauty, location, simplicity and very friendly staff. We will certainly stay here on our next visit.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joesad13
Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Nothing like your typical Marriott. The decor is edgy, scandalous and exciting. I would recommend this place to couples looking for a romantic place to stay. My boyfriend and I stayed in the standard room and it was perfect; we had a king size bed, two person shower with curtains that opened up to the bedroom and a quirky color scheme of lime green and deep red. The concierge wasn't always super helpful, but that did not ruin the stay in anyway. I would opt out of the continental breakfast that they offer; it's really just croissants, yogurt and fruit. The Chez Swann is in a perfect location right off of St. Catherine St (where we spent our days) and just a few blocks away from Crescent (where we spent our nights). When we return to Montreal we will be staying here again for sure!

1 Thank Audrey R
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Stayed at Chez Swan for 4 nights. It's a small cozy boutique hotel very close to all major attractions in Montreal. Rooms are very spacious,clean and modern. I would like to comment on service provided by the staff of the hotel, specifically by Dwayne Newton and Gelman Coy. Both went way beyond any expectations to help us and to make our stay enjoyable. The only downside was the construction noise coming from hotel being built next door. However, we simply mentioned the noise and our room was changed to another in a matter of minutes. Great value and service.

• Stayed June 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We are a couple in our early 30s heading to Montreal for Memorial Day weekend. We wanted something different and Chez Swann appealed to us. It did live up to its quirky presentation and was a unique experience. The strange, but interesting, two person shower, the decor and furniture. Breakfast wasn't worth the effort, go find something else in the morning. Very centrally located, we even walked to Old Town without too much trouble.

The main downside was the giant skylight in the room. At 7am each morning, the light would shine in too brightly to stay asleep. There wasn't any shade or way to dampen the light. It really was a frustrating part of the stay. Without it, I likely would have given the room a 4 or 5.

Room Tip: Ask for one without a skylight if possible.
Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 10dayloop
Seattle
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel, for something affordable, central, and quirky. I would stay here again. The breakfast was very good - cereals, pastries, coffee, juice, fruit, yoghurt. You don't have to have an eggs & bacon breakfast to be a good breakfast, but Eggspectation or Chez Cora are nearby if that's your style instead. The king size bed was very comfortable, same for the pillows, and the street noise wasn't noticeable. The shower was great! Two showers with multiple faucets and although it does separate the bathroom from the bedroom with a clear window, it was fun (there's also a curtain if you want privacy).

It could be that the building was older because the only noise I could hear at night was the creaking of the neighbours on the hardwood floors. However, it's newly decorated.

We chose this hotel for its walking convenience to the 747 airport bus (<5 min walk), the Gare Central train station (10 min), Old Montreal (20-25 min), Megabus (10 min), the University (<5 min), and Restaurants and Shopping (<5 min).

On our last day, the gracious staff can hold your bags after you've checked out.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple