“Funky, Hip Vibe at Chez Swann”
Review of Hotel Chez Swann

Hotel Chez Swann
Ranked #60 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed in May and it was just wonderful....great location, close to shopping, subway, etc. Don't hesitate to stay here its great!! The staff is accommodating and ready to help make your stay an enjoyable one. We will definitely stay again during our trips to Montreal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TrueWords11
There are newer reviews for Hotel Chez Swann

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel is very different from any other hotel I have stayed in. The decor is interesting but slightly sparse. My initial reaction to the room was that the room was uncomfortable but it grew on me during my 3 night stay and I very much enjoyed the ambiance. The front desk staff was freindly and accomodating. Like other guests noted, there is not an iron or ironing board. However, I had read the reviews and had packed accordingly. The hotel is well situated in downtown Montreal...close to shopping and restaurants. Mont Royal is within walking distance and well worth the trip. I would not recommend this hotel for families with young children as there are few amenities that would keep them busy in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We will be back every time we want a getaway to Montreal. We got a deal on Wag Jag & booked a spa weekend in Montreal at Le Scandinave Spa. (which was also amazing). This room was by far the coolest room i'd ever stayed in... and we like to travel. lol. It was super romantic & clean. The hotel was very modern throughout & we also got to enjoy the spin bikes in their ultra small "gym". We didn't care, we were just happy they had made some effort to have some sort of fitness equipment :) the skylight in our room was amazing as was the shower.... amazing shower. Perfect location for shopping & treats. Cant wait for another WagJag ;) eel worth the price though, wag jag or no wag jag!

Room Tip: I believe all rooms are different! I believe we were on the second or third floor... we were on the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

As described by many, this hotel is a bit different from the rest with interesting decor/lighting, spacious bathrooms and a modern, quirky vibe. While there is no reason a family could not enjoy a stay here, I would not categorize it as a family hotel. It is definitely set up to draw couples or single adults. The hotel is ideally located in downtown Montreal right off St. Catherine street and all its shopping delights. There is a metro stop (Peel, Green Line) located within 2 minutes' walking distance and a Bixi docking station directly across the street from the hotel's main entrance. The 3-day passes for the metro were $18, well worth the price, and the Bixi rates seemed reasonable ($7 for a 24-hour period plus extra charges based on length of ride - if you docked the bike within 30 minutes, there were no extra charges). The hotel offers free breakfast at the connected restaurant and online reservations. We booked using the Montreal Tourism website which was offering 1/2 off a third night if you stay for 2 nights at full price and we stayed for 6 total nights.

Checking in was a breeze. There is a reserved spot right outside the hotel for guests (15 minute limit). We checked in after dinner on a Saturday, well past the check-in rush for sure, but the spot was open even as people were filling the streets for their nights out. I had our room keys in a jiffy from the friendly concierge while my boyfriend parked in the lot right up the street (there are many parking lots in the area but you can't get more convenient than the one on Drummond). Upon check in I also received a voucher for $4 off parking in the Drummond lot for each day. Don't remember the precise daily rate; most lots in the city run around $20 per day. Since we booked through the tourism site, we also got a coupon book loaded with goodies such as BOGO museum admissions and bagels, dinner/shopping/excursion discounts. I highly recommend checking out that tourism site to take advantage. We had asked for a room without a skylight (heard some rooms had those from reviews) and the hotel accommodated our request without any issue. In fact, in order to accommodate us, they upgraded us to a suite with no discernible extra charge. I just got the charge to my account and with taxes, it seems pretty comparable to the original quoted booking rate.

You can see pictures of the room for yourself; so many people posted pictures I didn't bother. Our room had a bay window with a comfy window seat, a king bed, a large shower with 2 shower heads (no peakaboo shower in 209!) and a flat screen TV mounted on the wall. The bed was comfy, the temperature was easily modified (it was pretty warm in there when we arrived and the halls of the hotel remained so throughout the stay), and it was quiet. I noted the construction site next door as previous reviewers had mentioned and although our room was on that side of the hotel, I heard not one sound. Heavy curtains kept the room dark enough to sleep and while the sounds of the hardwood floors might disturb your partner as you walk to bathroom in the middle of the night, I didn't hear noise from any other room either next to me or above me. The hotel is in quite a busy area, but noise was not an issue at all.

While we didn't have dinner at the attached restaurant (which I hear is good), we did take advantage of the complimentary breakfast. It was nice, but simple. You seat and serve yourself and staff will approach you and verify your room number. Once they have the room number, you're on your own - eat and drink what you please. Each day there were croissants, bread and other pastries with butter and jam, 2 cereals and milk, orange juice, yogurt, fresh fruit, coffee and tea. I thought it was just fine, but if you like a heartier breakfast such as bacon and eggs, you will have to dine out. There are many, many options nearby.

Check out was even easier than checking in. Took 30 seconds. Every staff member I encountered was courteous and helpful. And patient enough to listen to me stammer through my high school French, although that was not necessary; they all spoke English as well. If you need another language, you may want to check in advance. The hotel's website lists its services and amenities, most of which I did not take advantage of. This was a trip for pleasure, not business, so I did not spend much time there. I will remark that some of the amenities you might hope for such as a pool or sauna or large workout room are not present here. The basics are, though: daily housekeeping, free breakfast, parking discount, free wifi (oh-so-important to me personally). I believe they offer laundry and/or dry cleaning but definitely check the website. There is no coffee maker, hair dryer or iron in the room, in case you were wondering. And no ice machines/vending machines in the hall. But the front desk staff made sure to tell us whatever we needed, they would do whatever they could. I went down to ask for ice and took a seat in the lobby and she told me she'd bring it up (totally unnecessary; I would've waited). About 30 seconds after I got back to the room, she was knocking on the door with my ice. Very accommodating staff.

In all, I enjoyed my stay at Chez Swann immensely. Yes, I didn't spend much time there; after all, when you're on vacation, it's just a place to sleep, right? But a bad hotel, no matter how little time you spend there, can really ruin things for you. And this wasn't a bad hotel. Not in the least. I thought it was a fantastic place to stay. Would highly recommend and would definitely return. Thank you, Chez Swann, and thank you, Montreal for a fantastic time!

Room Tip: Skylights in some rooms on 3rd floor; room 209 was spacious, comfy and quiet.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

What a positive experience - absolutely nothing negative! Beautifully situated, wonderful staff, elegant room, the bed was divine and the shower was like no other I've seen. So much more than what is offered at the larger hotels. Definitely rates in the top 3 hotels in my experience. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a nice boutique/design hotel in the business district of Montreal, a quick walk to rue St. Catherine and about 20 minutes (by foot) from Old Montreal. The common area/lobby has extremely limited seats (as well as tourist offerings and general appeal), but our room was cozy and romantic (with a glass wall between the shower and the bedroom). Only one of our dual shower stacks worked in the oversized shower stall, however, and the scale in the bathroom was also broken. The heat in the hallways was cranked up and there was a strange green-tea-esque odor on our floor. These were minor issues that kept a good hotel from being great. The linens and amenities in our room were great and the air conditioning there worked just fine.
Breakfast was served in the restaurant that joins the hotel and was the standard continental fare, with the exception being very fresh baguette pieces and mini patisseries (pain aux raisins, croissants, pain au chocolat).
We were also given a $4 discount off parking in the lot that was closest to the hotel (which was about $24/day normally).

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a chic, and modern boutique hotel that is ideally located in downtown Montreal. Our room was small but cozy with an interesting layout. The furniture and accessories were unique and vibrant, and very different from anything you would expect in a standard hotel. The bed was large and extremely comfortable. In fact, it hardly felt like a hotel room at all. The people at the front desk were very kind and went above and beyond to help us when we had trouble checking in with our airline. Great overall experience!