“If only there were more places like this.”

Bocata Restaurant Bar a Vin
Ranked #82 of 5,712 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Spanish, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: Top Old Montreal fishing-village inspired restaurant & wine bar, where our attentive and friendly waitstaff will welcome you 7 days a week from 5pm, or for brunch Saturdays and Sundays from 10 to 2:30. You can treat yourself to rustic but refined dishes, such as Lobster Tagliatelle, Grilled Octopus, Pata Negra and Caccio e Pepe. With wine suggestions by our passionate sommeliers, including 20 wines by the glass daily and beautiful cocktails, expect an eclectic candlelit atmosphere, upbeat tunes and an all around good time.
United Kingdom
“If only there were more places like this.”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Visited in the advise of our concierge .
Turned out to be a smashing little French style bistro with a Spanish influence .
Great atmosphere was helped by late 60's early 70's backing music Beatles , Stones , The doors and Hendrix that sort of thing . Sounds out of date but it worked .
We had oysters to start then I tried a seafood risotto and by wife a beef dish everything was delightful .
Keen helpful staff only helped to make our evening more enjoyable .
Lovely food great restaurant .

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank BInck113

Ottawa, Canada
“My go to in Montreal”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This place is excellent! It is my go to in Montreal - and for me that says a lot as there are so many wonderful restaurants in Montreal. The wine list is excellent, with a variety of price points.
The food and service are always great! The menu changes seasonally. I've taken many people to the restaurant, all have returned on their own!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MLB85
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Charming, yummy meal with great service!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our concierge recommended Bocata, so I was hesitant that it was a tourist trap... we were pleasantly surprised and could not have been more wrong! My husband and I showed up - with our 11 month old and large stroller - and the staff could not have been more welcoming. Julia, our server, was such a treat and the food, wine + beer were wonderful, too! Bocata is warm, charming and a few steps away from the hustle. We loved it and it was one of the best meals/experiences of our Canadian trip!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank LiveLovelyLogan
New Bern, North Carolina
“Cozy and Excellent”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

After strolling up and down Rue St.-Paul in Vieux-Montreal, a street lined with small cafes and restaurants, my wife and I finally chose this tiny cafe on the lower west end of the street. It was an excellent choice. It looks like a friendly tavern and it is, but it has a secret - the food is really good. The restaurant features small plates, or tapas. My wife and i shared some fine PEI oysters and then shared an appetizer of a warm baked mozzarella-type cheese before we each had a serving of the duck confit and arugula salad. Everything was delicious and the cocktails were well done too. Really a perfect evening - warm cozy place, good food and drink and a fun atmosphere.
We later discovered that the adjacent slightly larger restaurant, Barroco, is owned by the same entrepreneurs who opened Bocata. This gives us a goal for when we return to the city.

• Visited June 2014
Burlington, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

While the ambience of this restaurant was pleasing, the food and service left much to be desired. We waited too long to have our order taken although in fairness to the server she was managing too many tables. When our bottle of Chablis arrived it was warm. The main course for our party of 6 arrived at 3 different times making us all wait for the last plate to arrive. The cod I ordered was luke warm even on arrival and the clams it came with were stone cold as was the plate. The leeks it was served on were very tough to chew. My friend's sea bass was the size of an appetizer at best. I simply would not recommend this restaurant.