“We were disappointed, Gail Simmons!”
Review of Nouveau Palais

Nouveau Palais
Ranked #1,600 of 5,723 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Outremont
Alexandria, Virginia
“We were disappointed, Gail Simmons!”
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

We went through a lot to try out this recommendation by Top Chef's Gail Simmons on our last might in MTL. What a letdown. :(( The staff was very nice and welcoming, the menu appeared interesting and they were nice to my kid. The matzo ball soup was not good, burgers were mediocre, fries & spaetzle were good. Not worth the hype, the journey to get there or the final tab. One good thing is that it introduced us to the Mile-End neighborhood and the great nearby Italian Dispensa. (Maybe it's our own fault for going to an American reataurant in Quebec....)

Perth, Ontario, Canada
“not to be missed”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Want a little bit of home cooking with flair? Long for that old diner atmosphere you went to in the 50's? Well here it is - Chef Gita Seaton has reinvented home cooking - mac and cheese, stew, soup that warms the soul and the tummy, burger and fries just the way you want them - went on a Tuesday evening - the place was just abuzz - father in law loved the fish dish - said it was the best he ever had, the broccoli soup was hot, thick and a perfect blend of broccoli and cheddar - the mac and cheese (even mine isn't this good). So go for the atmosphere but go back for the food.

• Visited October 2012
Montreal, Canada
“i love this place!”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

being vegetarian, i always order the Mac and Cheese, fries and the veg of the day. All three are side dishes but enough to fill me up and are always soooooo good (although the fiddleheads last time were overcooked and way too salty and buttery). I also ordered the zucchini fritters last time which also blew my mind. i love the old school diner feel (i think the tables may be the originals...?) and the staff are always so friendly. i want to eat there every week.

• Visited April 2012
London
“Excellent food and friendly service in an authentically classic diner”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Delicious food, excellent service and the friendly, laid-back vibe of the place made this my favourite stop on a culinary trip to Montreal. Unlike so many of the chain restaurants that clutter every city centre from Cork to Kuala Lumpar, Nouveau Palais is a true original, harking back to the days when local family diners made eating out personal, and unique. Seated in classic diner-style booths, the atmosphere feels authentic, rather than kitsch. Like the previous reviewer, some of the lovely owners - Mary-Martha, Georgia, and Jacques - happened to be sitting at the table next to me and confirmed that they had kept the diner's original features, rather than try to tart it up in some fake retro fashion. I was happy to spend a few hours there just soaking up the atmosphere, and social hubbub. A perfectly juicy burger, and crisp fries made from fresh potatoes went down a treat, and would certainly have me returning often if I could only afford the plane tickets to Montreal.

• Visited September 2011
Phoenix, AZ
“Awesome restaurant in great neighborhood- kept going back”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Staying with friends in the Mile End , we were lucky enough to find this restaurant. First time we went we lucked upon Jacques at the bar mixing wonderful cocktails-- we were even introduced to Chef Gita and immediately loved the atmosphere. We had already eaten dinner and glanced at the menu and decided we had to come back, Second time we went was for late night tacos and the third time (yes, the third time on a one week trip!) was for an awesome Sunday brunch with the best scrambled eggs I have ever had, equally impressive homemade waffles my daughter enjoyed and Mary Martha mixing fabulous bloody mary s and mimosas ! The staff were friendly and professional, each visit was memorable. My only regret is I didn't get to try the burger! That will have to be next time.

• Visited July 2011