“Great Date Spot”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Whether her OKCupid profile says she's vegetarian or not, this is a great spot to take her.

All the "meat" on the menu is not actually meat but if no one told you, I bet you would never know.

The dishes are complex, yet accessible.

I had a "margarita" as a cocktail. It was rimmed with salt... and pepper! Pretty good! Another person took the espresso martini and found it a bit too sweet to have it before the meal. It was delicious and, fear not, it was consumed, but only later.

We had the pleasure of discovering a 4-piece appetizer called "5 saveurs" (I think that's what it was called). Try it. Roll it up, pop it in your mouth, and let it happen! I also had my go-to peanut sauce "chicken" with crispy spinach. All delicious.

The desserts sounded delicious but one of our out-of-town guests had a specific place she wanted to go for pie so we opted out.

So yes, all good. A bit pricey, though, hence the 4 stars.

Oh, and make a reservation. We didn't, and although we were lucky there was a table left, I made a mental note for next time.

Hope this was helpful!

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We found this through the Chinese man who runs a lovely tea shop close to the cathedral. When we asked him where to go for good Chinese food, he said, "There's no good Chinese food in Montreal." But, oh my, is there fabulous vegan food. The seasonings were fresh, delightfully pungent, and the dishes were creative. The young man who waited on us was very helpful in saying whether or not we should order certain dishes. Everything he suggested was top knotch. Don't miss this!!!

Reviewed 11 July 2013

The chef at Chuchai is not at all limited in his ability to create authentic Thai dishes by vegetarian restriction. delicious

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This restaurant used to be my favourite!!! It recently reopened after renovations with a new bistro concept ( as opposed to the vegetarian Thai casual version of its sister restaurant chuchai). I was so excited to try it out!!! What a disappointment! There were tons of vegan versions of fast foods like burgers, poutine, chicken wings etc. The first time I went we were a group of 4 (3guys 1 girl). We ordered 20 dishes and the boys still left hungry (after a pretty big bill). The food did not stand out and the portions were small. The portions got bigger the second time I went back but we still had to order a good amount of plates to fill up. I also noticed a sign saying that they would be taking away their byob and that they were now getting a liquor license. I must say that I am so sad to lose one of my fave Restos. I doubt we ll be going back. No byob makes an already expensive resto not worth it.

Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

This new byob vegy restaurant has something for both vegetarians and meat eaters. The decor is not bad, we enjoyed the kitchen sculptures paintings and dark minimal look. We started with the 5 amuse bouche wrapped in eatable leaves, you must eat all in one bite. The chicken wings were almost like eating real ones, very impressed. The papaya salad with beef was alright nothing to write home about. The burger was very good but the curry wasn't worth the order. Not bad, but not as great as their mother restaurant next door. There is a saq wine store a block away. Overall its a decent choice to brings your carnivore friends who want to try alternative choice.