“Too noisy for middle age couple” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #129 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Chicago, Illinois
“Too noisy for middle age couple”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2008

We stayed there 2 nights March 21-23. The first night in room 308 had 2 bad lamp bulbs (we got spares at the lobby and fixed it) and later we found a non-working heater. The hotel was full and we could not change room, so we stayed in the colder room one night. Everything was working well in the second room #208.
However, the bigger issue is the noise at night. This is party central in Montreal and a lot of young people stay there for the W-E, so expect to hear doors clapping and people talking loud in the hallway and in adjacent rooms from 1 am till 4 am. This happened both nights on both floors. This was definitely a poor choice for my wife and I (middle age folks) who were looking for some rest after busy days visiting this great city.

Stayed March 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2008

This hotel is infested with bedbugs. We had bugs in our first room; asked to be moved. Our second room also had bugs; management did not suggest another move, presumably because there are no bug-free rooms. When we spoke to the manager the next day, we were told we must have brought them (we came direct from our delightfully bug-free home in Ottawa).

Having written that, there is no point writing anything else. There is no point writing about the lack of parking, about the surly service, about the filthy, overheated rooms.

If you have not experienced bedbugs before, and relish the prospect of itchy welts, panic attacks and having to toss out your luggage and clothes, I strongly recommend a night or two in this premium establishment.

I understand that there is a bedbug pandemic, but the way to dealing with it is not to ignore the problem and blame your guests.

• Liked — Good location close to downtown
  • Disliked — Bedbug infestation
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank TabithaTan

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Berkeley, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2007

When I checked out around 6 am on Sunday, there was no one at the desk (I rang and called out and waited about 15 minutes). The door to the outside (the one that can be opened with a room key) was propped open. While I was waiting, some people did come in from outside and head upstairs.

Obviously, I got no bill. I left a note (on whatever scrap of paper I could find) asking that my bill be mailed to me. It never was.
I phoned today and the man who answered offered to fax the bill to me.

One evening during my stay, I ordered a take-out dinner to be delivered. The delivery man came straight to my room. No one called from the desk.

Again, this is an unacceptable breach of security.

Room was fine, but I will not stay there again and recommend that single women travelers, in particular, give this a pass.

Stayed October 2007
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2007

A classic case of "You Get What you Pay for."
I booked the Econolodge thru Priceline's 2-star category, after my bids for 4, 3, and 2 1/2 stars failed (there was some golf tourney in Montreal sept. 26-29).
The pros: The hotel was right in central Montreal, the room was of a decent size and relatively clean, and the shower had good water pressure and was nice and hot. The staff was pleasant enough, and housekeeping was efficient. It's about a block and a half from the St. Laurent metro station.
The cons: The hotel's building, hallways and rooms are dated, with kind of a stale cigarette smell to them, the hallway carpets are worn and tired, and there's peeling wallpaper in spots. The rooms are very basic, with decent-sized but old bathrooms.
In my room, the remote for the TV worked when it felt like it, and the bed's headboard wasn't fixed on the wall very well. It's basically a roadside inn in the middle of a big city.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the neighborhood is a bit run-down and seedy. I personally never found it unsafe, even coming from the metro late at night because there was always people out around the St. Laurent station. Yes, there are lots of street people asking for cigarettes and spare change, but name the big city where that doesn't happen! The fringe seediness of certain sectors of Montreal strangely adds to its sexiness, and it is a sexy, fantastic city with some of the best clubbing, dining and joie de vivre on this continent.
If you';re just looking for a comfortable place to sleep while enjoying the many delights on Montreal, this place is fine. It's personally not my cup of tea, but that's what happens when you wait until the last minute to book during a busy week.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — It's very, very basic.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank michiganmarlon
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

This hotel was gross! There were tiny bugs in the bathroom, public hairs in the bed sheets, and our fridge door was broken. I can understand it being worn out from age, but there is no excuse for dirtiness.

On the other hand, the location was very handy to many exciting areas in Montreal. Very close to good shopping and lots of restuarants and entertainment.

• Liked — location & price
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
Antioch, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2007

First, I'm 70 years old, a retired U.S. Military veteran with over 22 years service, I worked for a major Industry for over 20 years after that. I've traveled extensively around the U.S., Europe and the U.K., Australia and Canada.

First, the good points. Location was excellent for our purposes. We were within walking distance (even for me) to restaurants, the Jazz Festival, our venue (Metropolis), shops and other attractions. The room (Room 201), was very nice for the price (see caveats below). Amenities, such as, maid service, TV, Coffee, vending machines and ice were entirely acceptable and appreciated. The Complimentary breakfast was as we expected. Mostly, the staff was understanding of our requests.

Second, the bad points. We arrived on Thursday July 5th, 2007 and stayed until the following Monday. After check-in, we proceeded to our room and couldn't find the safe. We had brought a substantial amount of American and Canadian cash for the four of us. We didn't want to walk the streets with this money nor leave it unprotected in our room. The duty clerk gave us a shrug as maybe our room didn't (or wasn't supposed to) have one. Also our request for a refrigerator again was met with a shrug. No one knew where the key was for the refrigerator. The next clerk didn't know either. The next morning we went to get a paper to do some Festival hunting. No papers. Again, shrugs (maybe they were all gone by the time we got there or not delivered). Only brochures were available. That morning our key cards became unusable on us. They didn't work and several times we were locked out of our room and we had to go down to the clerk to get into our room. This problem went on from Friday through Sunday afternoon when they mysteriously started working again. On Friday evening they gave us one "Master" card key from the Reception Desk. I though this was highly unusual. We didn't try this card on any other rooms, but I was uneasy just having a "Master Card Key". On Saturday, while we were lounging in our room, we were surprised by other guests opening our door and walking in on us (how did their key card work?). This was extremely unsettling for my wife and our grand daughter (as you might imagine). They wanted to leave immediately after that. Of course, the other guests apologized and went back to get another room. After the Key Card fiasco, the shift manager said that it was the "dead bolt" lock. But they were only able to duplicate the problem with the door open and the "dead bolt" turned out, not under any other circumstances. As a maintenance manager, with 50 years experience, I was highly skeptical of that explanation.

The foregoing was just a prelude to our most grievous complaint. We rented a car to use on this trip. When we first arrived, we noticed that there were "No Parking" signs everywhere. When we inquired where we were supposed to park, we were told they didn't have any parking! Not in any description of the Lodging did I read that. We were directed to a parking lot a block away. The cost was to be $20.00 per day. When I got there I was told that the cost was $80.00 and the car would be parked for two days. I couldn't get it out until two days later! When I asked why, I was told that they didn't need my business and to "go away". I was also told that if I came back it would be $100.00 per night! Needless to say I was surprised that EconoLodge would recommend that parking lot as their parking lot. After two hours of driving around looking for a spot to park, I found one 4 blocks from the Econolodge. Three local persons couldn't tell me if the signs would allow me to park. It seems that there is NO parking under so many different reasons. The parking lots are few and far between in Montreal. The next morning I relayed my problems from the night before and the next clerk told me. "No, No, don't got to that lot, got to the College underground garage for $10.00 for 12 hours". I asked why I wasn't told that the night before, I got the usual shrug. So, after much concern and expense, I finally was able to park my rental car. Ultimately the total cost for parking was (at least) $90.00. I think I could have upgraded to a better hotel for that price! Also after closer inspection I noticed that some residents seemed to park on the street with no problem, whereas I was told the police would be called and I would be ticketed.

In my opinion, I got ripped off using the Econolodge on this trip. Other hotels in this area have underground garages for patron parking. We spent absolutely too much for the Econolodge, gasoline, walking the streets too and from the parking lot and payment of $10.00 for partial 12 hour parking fees that all added up. I am also concerned that hotel management does not really care about customer service. If I were asked to recommend this hotel I definitely would NOT.

• Liked — Fair service
  • Disliked — Parking and Privacy
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank T1tan
Northeast Ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

Booked through choicehotels.com. CH is the parent company for an entire host of hotels. The negative aspects of the hotel were many:
1. Parking was listed as $15/day offsite, however upon arrival, manager could not give accurate directions to parking lot and once found the price was $20/day and was several blocks away.
2. The deadbolt in the room door did not work.
3. The maid did not announce herself when she tried to enter (thank god for the door chain).
4. The bathroom was filthy, mold on the tiles, etc.
5. There was a whirlpool tub in the living room that had visible scum on it.
6. There was no "do not disturb sign"
7. There was no locking mechanism on the window and the window was close to the ground near a vacant lot.
8. Hotel has a 30 day minimum notice for cancellation. I wanted to used my membership points for a room in another hotel in the same chain, but the local manager would not release me from the room. I travel for a living and all other hotels I stay at allow a cancellation the same day of arrival.

• Liked — Location to attractions
  • Disliked — cleanliness, safety, security, parking
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple