“The best place to stay if you are on a low budget.”
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #129 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Wendake, Canada
“The best place to stay if you are on a low budget.”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I am someone who dislike spending the big bucks for an hotel room. I've been there twice, both time for only a night. If your are looking for a decent hotel for under 100 bucks/night, this is the place to go. Very close to many places to see in Montreal, as well, as a subway and several bus stations, I have never been disapointed. The staff is awesome. I've checked-in twice with the same guy (If I remember right, he was in the mid-late 20s with a haircut that ressemble an afro) and both times, the check-in was smooth and quick with this guy. The same guy didn't hesitate the one time I've had problem with the heating in the room (on my first stay, which was in December 2012) The breakfast was minimal, but hey, it's free, so no complain! The wi-fi is shaky at best, but again, it's free so no complains)

However, I won't deny that people who are looking for luxury should stay away from this hotel. It IS a budget hotel, and even with the positive comments I have, I am aware it's not the type of hotel everyone would like.

I'm definitely going there again if I have to spend (a) night(s) in Montreal!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chanook L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I have no complaints. I was scared by all the reviews I read, but none of the bad ones panned out. The breakfast was decent, the morning lady was nice, the night guy was a bit rude... but oh well. I shared the room with two other guys and they had no issues either... except they couldn't decide who the big spoon was.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Saint-Constant, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Warm welcome, staff very helpful, we even had a free upgrade in a new renovated room, great way to begin a stay.
The room was nice and clean we had a good night of sleep.
Continental breakfast was offered in the morning, bagels croissants, fruits,cereals,coffea and juice etc...

Room Tip: The new renovated rooms are nice
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johanne B
Mi
Reviewed 31 October 2013

If you go to Montreal for sight-seeing then this hotel will do since you won't be staying inside the entire time. It is clean and about a 15 min walk to the downtown area. The location is kinda sketchy, I just didn't like the graffitis and not so clean surrounding area. For the price, I'd say it is reasonable. There is a continental breakfast, free wifi and staff were nice. Room was ok, we stayed in a King bed room.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel is not the easiest to find as there are a lot of one way streets and it is on an incline. However once we found it the staff were welcoming and helpful. There is a lift and although the room was small, it was clean and tidy with a comfortable large bed and clean bathroom with white fluffly towels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed 24 October 2013

On September 3rd my mother and I booked this hotel the day of our stay because there was a deal for $40 (room chosen when you check in). We were thrilled with our room, it had a king bed and a jacuzzi. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the washroom was good, there was a/c. The only problem is when I woke up I noticed some bites up and down my forearms. I've had experiences with bed bug bites before and I am very reactive to them (they start to show up within 24hrs or less). My mother checked herself but there were no raised bumps to indicate a bite for sure, but we did see a couple reddish areas on her hands that were suspicious (bites can show up days later). She also said she woke up during the night and felt a bug on her neck, which she crushed but we couldn't find it in the morning (there did appear to be a small smear of blood on the sheets though).

We showed the manager and he told us it just looked like hives to him, that there should be a dot with blood in the centre. Well I've never had hives in my life and I have no allergies. I've had bed bug bites before, I know what they look like on my body. We're not ones to complain or make a scene so we just had breakfast and left (the included breakfast is ok, toast, chocolate croissants, cereal, juice, coffee, tea).

Once the redness and inflammation went down a couple days later I was able to count them all. I ended up with about 75 bites. The majority were on my arms and hands, I had a few on my back, hip and legs and one on my chin. The next week was a nightmare I was so itchy and then I had to wear long sleeves to hide the embarrassment. My mother only had a few (I guess they liked me better) but hers turned into painful blood red blisters (maybe due to her diabetes).

This was the only hotel we stayed in, they didn't come from somewhere else. I don't remember the room number but it was on the main floor at the end of the hall to the left. Multiple bites come from one bug as they move in a line, but clearly there was still a lot of them and it's not a new infestation. When I booked there was only one review about bed bugs, now I see there is a bunch and one mentions the front desk told her they treated for them before. It just proves that manager knew all along they had a problem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ceevee8

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 17 October 2013

we stayed in the hotel between 9th and 12th September 2013. we had a very warm reception at the front desk and check-in was very quick. The location is excellent and the room and the bath were very clean. the room was on the fourth floor but there is an elevator. The accessories in the room were minimal but sufficient. the air-conditioning was not upto the mark with deficiency in cooling. however, since we were out most times, this was not felt to be a great handicap. storage space in the room is minimal. there was coffee and tea through out the day. breakfast was adequate. the housekeeping was efficient with daily change of towels etc. the best part was that breakfast could be carried to the room(trays were provided) and can be had at leisure. if one is looking for five or four star comfort, this is not the place. the price was very low -so one has to put up with paper cups and plates-but the location and warmth more than compensate for this.

Room Tip: select a room on the higher floors, if an option is given. less noisy and slightly more spacious.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple