“All style but no substance”
Review of Hotel St Paul

Hotel St Paul
Ranked #30 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Just returned from a long weekend in Montreal. Quiet and great location, unfortunately, still a disappointing stay.

Here's a list:
-Very uncomfortable bed and pillows... never could get a good nights sleep
-Air conditioning never worked properly
-House cleaning left the door open
-House cleaning cleared a bottle of wine from the room... but never touched or replaced the glasses (left on the floor beside the bed where the wine bottle was)
-House cleaning walked in despite the "do not disturb" sign

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
PeterMontreal, Guest Relations Director/Rooms Division Director at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2009

Dear BE_Toronto,

Thank you for taking time to share your St.Paul experience with us.
Let me say I am so sorry you found the bed and pillows to be so uncomfortable and my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences! I will share this information with my housekeeping team, and I assure you that we are more on top of things than this review implies, but I guess mistakes will happen. I do regret that we were not able to resolve your complaints with satisfaction while you were at the hotel.

Hopefully you’ll give us another opportunity in the future.

Peter

P.s. I sure hope that these negative reviews are not being posted by our wonderful yet fierce competitors down the street.
(Just kidding, we love our partners in Old Montreal and I truly enjoy responding to any type of review posted on Tripadvisor.)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,262)

Reviewed 15 March 2009

Living in NYC I always go to Montreal for a long weekend as it is a wonderful city to hang out. Part of the reason I feel this is the St Paul. I will only stay there and have been for years. I find the Hotel chic and quite, this is not like a chain. It has a personality of its own (which I find very Montreal) and a great staff. I understand that there may be newer hotels just down the street, but their cookie cutter style is just not cutting it for me. I am going again in the start of May and will be at the St Paul

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYLONLA
Reviewed 17 February 2009

I stayed at the st paul with 10 other colleagues in feb 09. worst hotel experience ever. There was no hot water for two of the five days that I stayed. Not consecutive days so theynever bothered to fix the problem the first time. The staff atttude was absolutely disgusting. When there was no hot water at 7 am the response was that the engineer didnt start till 9 am so they didnt know anything till then. when it was suggested that they may want to contact him and get him in early, the response was simple- no.
The breakfast was terrible- two types of fruit and cheese and that was it apart from cereal and bread. The yoghurt was out, the boiled eggs were out the bananas were out. The staff dont ever apologise for anything being wrong with the hotel, the attitude is "it isnt my fault". I would sack every one if they worked for me! The last day says it all. I asked to speak with the manager, - of course he didnt start till 930 so I asked that he call my room. At 11 am I have to check out and ring to tell them that I still have had no contact with the manager. The response is "You told me room 409, we have been calling that". Not a "I'm sorry I must have written the room down wrong' just a simple not my problem.
I could list a million other issues- no phone charges, out of towels (can you believe this!) rooms poorly cleaned or not cleaned at all and thenyou are calling reception to tell them and they tell you the cleaning staff have gone home.
Do yourself a favour- just dont stay here

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank drcw
PeterMontreal, Rooms Division Director/Guest Relations Director at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2009

Dear drcw,

Thank you for your review.

I have to admit that week in early February was a challenging time for Hotel St.Paul. I guess the best way to describe that period is through Finagle’s law which says "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time.”

We strive for excellence, but we are still human, and on occasion, we fall short of our promise. This appears to be the case in this instance, however, rest assured, that I have notified all personnel and my colleagues of your comments and I believe important humbling lessons were learned from this experience.
As I mentioned in a previous response, I’m very passionate about the hotel, as are my colleagues and our staff, and we want everyone to love the St.Paul, therefore, we will continue to work hard to ensure that we provide each St.Paul guest a memorable experience that they rightfully deserve.

Reviewed 8 January 2009

We stayed in this hotel as part of our 2 weeks in Canada in September. We'd booked it via Canadian Affair, as they are able to offer preferential rates when you book flights etc with them. Before departure we'd read some fo the reviews, and of course, when you see some negatives you wonder if you'd made the right decision. But we work on the theory that it's all subjective, and in the end we decided we DID make the right choice !.
We pulled up outside after a 5 hour drive from Toronto a member of hotel staff welcomed us and helped us unload our luggage. Now some people may not like a "relaxed but polite and efficient" attitude among staff in the service industry - but we felt it hit the spot just right for our welcome.He helped us with our bags and arranged for our vehicle to be parked - what else do you need. Check-in was efficient and once again helpful and with a smile, and that was the story for the service throughout our 3 day stay. Our room was compact, especially with 3 of us staying in it - but extremely well equipped and comfortable, with all we needed for our stay. Every night there was a turn-down service with a small chocolate left for each of us, and every morning our compimentary paper awaited us. The complimentary continental-style breakfast was more than adequate, with a wide variety of juices and more than set us up for 3 days of exploring Montreal.
The location was fantastic - in the old town, with a huge choice of eateries and bars around us - and once again the staff came up trumps with their recommendations for somewhere to eat - an amazing Italian restaurant which is located in what used to be the women's jail - a must place to eat !
Would we stay here again - in a heartbeat - we actually would struggle to criticise this hotel at all - for us the service was pitched at the right level - relaxed but very efficient and polite and ALWAYS friendly and with a smile. The location was perfect, the rooms comfortable (albeit may be considered small by the standards of many North American hotels),the ambience was excellent, and the small touches like internet access, turn-down service, papers, breakfast etc all included in the price just added that extra sheen. We made our choice - and it definately was the right one !

PS - we didn't detect any "nasty" niffs during our stay !

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Dear dmorvanuk,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our property and share your Montreal experience with us all.

We look forward to welcoming you back one day, therefore, please do not hesitate to contact me directly when planning to visit Montreal again, so that I may personally take care of your hotel arrangements.

Reviewed 2 January 2009

My parents met my boyfriend and me here for my 40th birthday, and we had just a fabulous time. We never did have a chance to eat at the restaurant that was there at the time (Cube, is it still?), but we had cocktails at the bar both nights that we stayed and the bartenders were so nice and friendly. The hotel is totally funky, and our room was just so cool -- check out the pictures here posted by others. On the night of my birthday, one of the staff had a piece of luscious chocolate cake, candle and everything, delivered to my room. On top of all that, it is in a prime location for exploring Vieux Montreal and all of its restaurants and arty shops, as well as the waterfront (you can see the Habitat and the Biosphere in just a short walk) and some other old, historic places. Just the old architecture around this place is amazing. The warm and fuzzy touches -- the arm-in-arm bathrobes, the chocolate on your pillow with the temperature forecast, the really nice toiletries -- all were icing on the cake.

Other than the cold Canadian winter (my birthday is in November), I can't think of any negatives. We loved every restaurant (it is Montreal after all), all of which were in the neighborhood and many with live music. I remember one desk staff guy was irritated when I greeted him in French and then couldn't follow through (I can say all the important stuff in a lot of languages, but that's about it); he got over it and was really very helpful every other time.

I have just great memories of this weekend, and not just because it was my birthday!

• Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank SteffieB
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I recently travelled to Montreal on business, and the St Paul was recommended by our local colleagues. What a lovely experience from the moment we arrived at the front of the elegant entrance. Attentive staff, classy modern decor, through to every last detail in the rooms - thoughtful lighting, music playing on arrival, quality bathroom items, bathrobes, etc, etc. Situated near the waterfront and many wonderful bars and restaurant - the perfect location for those who enjoy comfortable quiet surroundings. My only wish is that we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2008

Prior to this trip I read reviews about this hotel on this site. One review made me concern was the one by "Breezy300". But I also read management's reply on that review and I thought it'll be ok. Well, now I learned I should've taken that review seriously.

-"Perfumes Chemical" mentioned in the review.
When we were checking in I noticed the distinctive sweet "smell" and made me think about the review. But Hotel staff was very pleasant and helpful, I tried not to think about it. But at the end of our stay this smell became un tolerable. We couldn't wait till leave the hotel.

-Uncomfortable bed
We couldn't pinpoint what was so wrong about the bed but we had terrible night sleep. Yes, the bed was hard but I like hard bed usually. I think it was the bedding gave us some sort of allergic reaction. The hotel gave us a choice to be environmentally friendly, not to change the sheets everyday so the second day we slept in the same sheets and had bad sleep again. We asked to change the sheets on the 3rd day and some how we had better sleep. Till then we were both sneezing and I had hives. But I was in the denial, we thought we were just catching a cold since it was so cold out...

So my vacation turned out quite uncomfortable one. I should've taken the advise by "Breezy300".

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Jeeru2