“Unforgettable”

Ranked #33 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Lethbridge
“Unforgettable”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

I stayed here for New Year's eve 2009 with a couple of friends and it was an incredible stay. The hotel is a perfect definition of boutique hotel with all the right details including modern trendy decor a fire place in the lobby and beautiful accents. We attended the new years eve party which was chic but not stuff. The staff was incredibly attentive and friendly and could not do enough to ensure we enjoyed our stay. The rooms are wonderfully decorated and have fabulous fur blankets which were great for lounging under on a lazy new years day. There is a great oversized tub in the bathrooms and the robes got a lot of use as well as the mini bar. The breakfast buffet was modest but delicious with pastries, baked goods and coffee.
I have to commend the great service of Mikaël!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
South UK
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Exquisitely designed hotel, not just for looks but comfort.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I came here for a business meeting that was set up by local colleagues in Montreal. The rooms have a trendy appeal to them and are very clean and comfortable. The lobby has a boutique style (read: small but nice) and there is a very good bar and restaurant off to the side.

Other stuff:

We used meeting rooms in the hotel and they were more than adequate.

Breakfast was included. It was a little more than continental, which was fine.

Location is good -- Old Montreal.

Service was friendly and quick.

Internet was free.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Montreal
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I love the St-Paul Hotel, one thing that really stands out about the St- Paul, is the staff.
The St- Paul's staff is incredible, they cater to all your possible needs, they are courteous and polite.
I look forward to every visit I have in Montreal and the St- Paul adds a whole lot to my time spent there.

M.O.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2009

This hotel is located on the edge of the old Montreal and very easy to access by car from outside town.
It’s uber trendy and minimalist.
When we booked our room we got a free upgrade to a junior suite. When we checked in we were told that the junior suite wasn’t quite ready so we got upgraded again to a deluxe suite.
Needless to say, the suite was big! Stylish living room with cow skin rug, glass dinning area, huge bathroom with his&his sinks, bath tub at one end and walk-in shower big enough for 3 at the other end. The bedroom was completely white with faux fur bed cover and head rest. Gorgeous and relaxing.
I loved the hotel but was somewhat not impressed by Montreal itself.
For dinner you should go to Le Petit Moulinsard for the best Belgium cuisine. On the other hand, absolutely avoid the Verses. The deer is good but the waiting staff is awful!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 30 June 2009

If you travel an awful lot like our group you will truly appreciate the unique experience this hotel has to offer. If you’re sick of staying at regular hotels and find yourself occasionally trying to get into the wrong room because you’re on auto-pilot, do yourself a favour and book at Hotel St. Paul for your next visit to Montreal.

The hotel staff are absolutely great every time we stay at this hotel! There has always been someone there to help with our bags, check us all in, and park our cars. Another important thing to note is that these staff are always smiling!!

You may be a bit surprised at the nightlife if you stay on a Thursday night but this is just one of the fun and unique features about the hotel. The rooms are gorgeous and you’ll find everything you need! I’ve stayed on the McGill side every time and I do not have a complaint about the noise as was mentioned in another post on this site.

The décor of the rooms are beautiful and quite unique. I don’t want to give it away in here.. just something I think you need to experience for yourself! I’ll admit that the beds are a bit hard for my liking but then again this is just my preference and what I am use to sleeping in at home.

Breakfast is a great at the hotel: fruit, cheese, pastries, a variety of breads, eggs and yogurt. They are always replenishing all of the above so no need to worry if something looks to be empty.

We have never had a problem with any vandalism to any of our vehicles while staying at the hotel. It’s a shame that one person did experience this, however, when ever you park anywhere there is always a chance that this could happen!

Once one of my colleagues did get a flat tire (this was a reoccurring problem with this particular rental vehicle) and the valet staff were more then happy to help her with it. The staff at this hotel are always helpful in these instances which make our stays much more enjoyable.

My favourite thing in the hotel.. If you have time, make sure you try out the bathtub! And in all seriousness.. If there aren’t enough towels why not just call the front desk and ask?

I hope this review has been helpful! With having over 10 staff booked at this hotel only a few weeks ago, we have no complaints as we all enjoy the time that we spend in Montreal and look forward to our next stays at Hotel St. Paul.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank starseed21
Toronto
Reviewed 12 June 2009

Stayed at the St Paul for three nights on work assignment. Main purpose was to be able to relax after a long day. I'll break it down in a concise manner:

The Good:

The hotel is located in old Montreal, and is surrounded by trendy, upper-middle class oriented restaurants and cafes. The immediate area has a European charm to it, and makes for a nice getaway. The building the hotel is housed in, in itself, is a gorgeous early 20th century high rise. The interior has been expertly decorated and feels very modern. Room was clean and felt comfortable. Food in the restaurant is very good and priced reasonably well. The free high speed internet [wired] was also a nice touch.

The Bad:

Where does one begin? The staff is spotty, with a few great people surrounded by snooty and condescending individuals. On our last morning, on check-out, there was no one to even help with bags/door. I think it's safe to say that the hotel is understaffed. On top of this, we had the misfortune of having our vehicle broken into [not "vandalized" as the staff preferred to call it] while parked in the outdoor parking area. There was a mix up by the valet in not parking it in the more secure underground parking. When we were told of the incident, the staff were not helpful or in any way remorseful. On top of this, the mix up was handled terribly by the valet. I understand that parking lots in Montreal are a target for thieves, but if you're providing your customers with a valet service and treat a huge inconvenience such as ours with such tactless disinterest, it does not come off well. You are, after all, in the service industry. It is not a privilege for me to stay there. Rather, it is your privilege to have me stay there. Terrible experience.

The hotel houses a very popular and trendy bar/restaurant and it seems that the regular Thursday night party runs well into the early morning. McGill street facing rooms will have to deal with a lot of noise. Maybe even the whole weekend is a write off with noise, I'm not sure as I didn't stay through it. Not a great thing to have to deal with if you're trying to get some rest.

As previously mentioned, the beds are very hard and thus will be uncomfortable for a lot of people. The selection of toiletries is minimal, and considering what the room rates are like, this seems like a travesty. There weren't enough towels for the two us, and the turn down "snack" consisted of a single chocolate for two people. How considerate.

FINALLY:

St Paul is the perfect place for a party seeking, well off individual seeking the trendy confines of a stylishly heartless overpriced hotel. I would never again stay here, neither would I allow clients to book me there in the near future. I think a lot of work needs to be put into the training of the staff, to make sure that they know what customers need, expect and what respect is. If this was my business, I would slowly start firing a 1/3 of the staff and replace them with the kind of people who actually enjoy working at a hotel for a living. There is no need for such attitude.

It's the little things that count, that give hotels it's charm and soul. As such, it is my unfortunate opinion that the Hotel St Paul lacks both, and will still need a lot of managerial work in order to get it to be the kind of place that I would like to stay at. A great comparable hotel would be the Opus. Same idea, much better experience.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business