“Warmly Modern and Lovely”
Review of Hotel St Paul

Hotel St Paul
Ranked #33 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Warmly Modern and Lovely”
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Just wrapped up a 4 night/5 day stay at Hotel St Paul. Staff were really nice and very helpful. The hotel was the most modern that I've personally stayed in though it still felt warm and cozy. It's on the cusp of Old Montreal so you don't get the same obnoxious & noisy tourist pedestrian traffic at night like other hotels experiences I've had in the area. The continental breakfast was the right amount of food and selection to make four days breakfast not feel the same day in and day out. Fantastic location made it easy to get quite a lot done during what felt like not a long enough trip! Close proximity to local transit, spas, shopping, across the river from the casino, bars, clubs and fabulous restaurants made doing a lot stress free and unrushed. The windows open to allow fresh air in - that's rare and I loved it!!! Adored it, will stay again and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Québec
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I took a regular room...oh boy, what a mistake. The wired internet connection was in one area, and the only table you could work on was in a completly different area. If you have to travel and work there, get a bigger room. If only for leisure, the regular room was a typical european room: small. Windows open...that is a nice touch.

But the hotel is indeed a design hotel ( sometime, so design that they seem to have forgotten the purpose of an accessory) , clean, staff ( altough really understaff when I went) was nice and polite and, well situated if you want to visit the old Montreal area. It is further away from the well known Crescent street but within a walking distance if you are a good walker.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
San Diego
Reviewed 17 October 2009

came to Montreal to check out the city from San Diego. I booked directly thru the front desk and while the process was a bit challenging at first it finished on a very strong note. gave me a fair room rate and the room I requested. design is strong, a tiny bit dated but overall enjoyed the feel of the hotel. the bar scene was worth the stay as well. part of the experience in staying in a hotel of this nature is the common area and the scene that comes with it. Housekeeping was very good, nice guest amenities in the rooms, turn down service, etc. breakfast was solid and good. location is great. Old Montreal is a nice area to walk. several good restaurants in the area. I would return and would suggest a stay.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
PeterMontreal, Rooms Division Director at Hotel St Paul, responded to this review, 21 October 2009
Dear Moderntraveler10,

Thank you for sharing your fabulous review and for staying with us.

We look forward to your next visit.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Not for the discerning Boutique hotel lover.

Firts of all I've stayed here 4 times... I come from NY drop about 1000 bucks for a 2 nights stay and keep telling myself never again. (Everything else was booked)

Good: Availability (u can guess why)

Issues:
Never a doorman... i mean never... holy security issue batman
Need another bottle of champagne in the room after 11pm? Sorry it's locked up
Some rooms feel like you are in a shoebox... aesthetic more than size
Cheap crappy lounge restaurant... "Sorry cant take the 2 - 60 dollar glasses of champagne to your room because we might lose the glasses" "Ill return them"... "sorry"... really suburban crowed... read. too much hair gel and muscle shirts with cheap shoes. ;)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 12 October 2009

When you check in to a boutique hotel, you look for the finer things in life to make your stay more enjoyable, but most of all, you expect impeccable service because, after all, you pay a little more for a whole lot...right? No, but top notch service will definately make up for where detail is dropped. It was just OK. No king size beds, so dimly lit you know they are hiding the poor paint job. Furniture was old, worn, and torn (common breakfast area on the 2nd floor). It was really smoke and mirrors. Not once did a doorman open the door for you and no one smiled and said "hello". I felt like I was bothering the employees.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Dear Sanntu,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your thoughts about your recent experience at Hotel St.Paul, however, it seems that we were not on top of our game during your stay.
I assure you that we appreciate the feedback we receive as it helps to point out our shortcomings and allows us the opportunity to amend them. After nearly 10 years of being one of the main destinations in Old Montreal, we understand the need to continuously re-evaluate ourselves. I do regret that we were not able to resolve your complaints with satisfaction whilst you were on property.

If you would like to contact me directly, I am more than happy to discuss this matter further and try to rectify this for you.

new york
Reviewed 2 October 2009

This hotel was a major disappointment. The bed was like a rock. No box spring base ..just a slab of wood. My back was killing me. If you like a hard bed, this place is for you. The place tries to be too cool. It is dark and to my mind that just hides the dirt. The gym was absolutely laughable. It had about 4 machines that were about 15 years old and the treadmill kept stopping mid use which was bit dangerous. The breakfast was terrible with limited food on the buffet which was not replenished in a timely manner. We had to consistently ask for things and the breakfast room was terribly austere. The best thing about this hotel was the location. The staff were on the whole ok (apart from one rude concierge) but I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Newyorkstoneman,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your thoughts about your recent experience at Hotel St.Paul, however, I’m sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected.

If you would like to contact me directly, I will be more than happy to discuss this matter further.

New York
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My husband took a trip to Montreal for the Labor Day weekend. A while back, I had read a favorable review in the NY Times on Hotel St. Paul, so I thought it would be a great place to try. I looked on TripAdviser and all of the reviews looked pretty good, so I went ahead and booked us a room. Overall, our experience was fine. I have no real complaints: the location is perfect, the rooms were clean (albeit pretty small), and it was nice to have breakfast included in the morning. However, I dont think it was worth the money we paid. The hotel staff were very kind and polite, but the concierge service was so-so. Basically the hotel only had two restaurants to recommend that were right down the street from the hotel. When we asked for other choices, they didnt really have any. (I'm figuring they have some sort of deal w/ those two restaurants and were told to recommend all guests to go there). The hotel decor was very simple - but almost to the point where you thought it was cheap - not chic minimalistic. In summary, I would say our stay was good, but next time I go to Montreal I will probably try somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Thias34,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your thoughts about your recent experience at Hotel St.Paul.

I am glad that your overall St.Paul experience was good, however, I am troubled by your comments that suggested we have deals with restaurants. I assure you and all other readers that we have no agreement with any restaurants in Montreal. We pride ourselves on offering unique recommendations to each guest that stay with us, therefore I do apologize that more restaurant choices were not suggested to you during your stay by our concierge. I am also very sorry that you found the decor of the rooms to be not to your liking, but I certainly agree that we have the perfect location in Old Montreal.

We hope you would consider trying us again; please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist with anything.