“Didn't get enough time to enjoy my room”
Review of Le Saint-Sulpice

Le Saint-Sulpice
Ranked #14 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Didn't get enough time to enjoy my room”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at the Saint-Sulpice on a very busy business trip, and my first thought when I entered the room was: what a shame I won't have any time to enjoy this. My room had a spacious living room, a small kitchenette and a separate bedroom. Sofa and bed were very comfortable. The bathroom was big, and the shower was excellent, but the bath did get a little slippery.
Each day of my conference started with breakfast at the office, so I didn't get a chance to try the hotel's breakfast. The lobby, bar and restaurant did look very inviting. On the night we arrived we managed a drink at the bar, and service was good.
Reception staff was also very friendly. One day when I came back my key didn't work, which always annoys me a little bit. The only really negative thing I can say about the hotel is that the wireless internet was excruciatingly slow.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
StSulpiceManagement, General Manager at Le Saint-Sulpice, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will be able to take advantage of your room for a longer period on your next visit to Montreal.

Vittorio Di Re

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Perfect location in Old Montreal and for our first visit. Staff is professional and helpful, both rooms we had were clean and large. Historic building (six floors) in excellent condition, charming lobby and bar area. Its a good location for restaurants, sights and some shopping (touristy). Close enough to the subway and exploring other areas of the city. Safe and comfortable neighborhood, we would recommend and stay again.

Room Tip: its either street side (think old european narrow cobble stone and charming) or garden/city view bot...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank HappytrailsSF
StSulpiceManagement, General Manager at Le Saint-Sulpice, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay & Old Montreal location. We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel through a sale on Tablet and couldn't be more pleased. Rooms are large and plush, beds are super comfy, and the decor is beautiful and modern. Located in the heart of old town and spitting distance from one of the most beautiful cathedrals I've seen outside of Europe, this is an excellent option for travelers.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you back.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I visit Montreal often for business and to see family, so we have stayed at a number of hotels throughout the city. I was not impressed with my stay at Le Saint-Sulpice. We arrived over an hour past the allowed check-in time (on a Tuesday) and our room was not ready. The wait was not long, but if I had arrived at the official check-in time, it would have been very inconvenient. There was no apology given, we were simply asked to wait on the couch.

We booked in advance a deluxe suite with a balcony hoping for more space and a beautiful view, because we would be spending a lot of time working in our hotel room. On the website, deluxe suites are advertised as ranging from 550 to 885 square feet. They are also advertised as having queen or king beds and as having two TV's - one in the bedroom and one in the living room. I don't know how the hotel chooses who receives a 550 square foot room and one of the larger ones, but we received the smaller one and it felt very cramped. We requested a king sized bed but was told that only a Queen was available when we arrived. That was fine, but the bed was NOT a queen sized bed. As other guests have mentioned in earlier reviews, it feels more like a double and it actually is. I was so curious that I measured it and it does not conform to queen sized bed standards in North America.

Next, there was only one TV in the living room and nothing in the bedroom. More false advertising. We paid $60 extra to have a balcony and the view was terrible. Other guests seemed to have been lucky with better views that would make you want to sit on the balcony, but it ended up being wasted space for us. Again, I don't know how the hotel chooses which guest receives which room, but there seems to be a huge range in the quality of room you can receive in terms of size and amenities so keep that in mind when paying for an upgraded suite.

The kitchenette is a nice and convenient touch, but the nespresso machine is really meant for one person's use. You're given three capsules per day, one regular, one strong and one decaf. Any additional capsules are $2.50 each. We don't drink decaf so you're really only getting one copy of coffee each per day. All other hotels I've been at typically offer an unlimited supply of capsules.

The rooms were very clean upon arrival but housekeeping was hard to come by. We would leave the room for about 6 hours at a time each day and only received housekeeping once during our three day stay. I understand that you can request a specific time for housekeeping, but being gone for 6 hours should have been plenty of time for them to get to our room without me having to request service.

We didn't get a chance to dine at the restaurant but did order morning room service daily. The portions are very big so one meal can easily feed two individuals, but our meal and tea/coffee ALWAYS arrived lukewarm. Further, any requests we made (for specific condiments) never arrived and there was no point in calling down to ask for them because our food would be very cold by the time we received them. This was consistently a problem every time we ordered room service.

I recognize that this hotel generally receives 4 and 5 star reviews so I'm not sure why our experience was so disappointing. The location is fantastic if you want to explore Old Montreal, but if you plan on spending a decent amount of time in your room and want a comfortable space, you should be explicit about your needs to guarantee them or find somewhere else to stay because who knows what mixed bag you might receive.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ninadhir
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It saddens me to hear that there were several shortfalls during your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me personally to discuss further. I can be reached at 514-350-1143. We look forward to seeing you back.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We found this hotel through TA and we were not disappointed. Our room was well appointed, spacious and very comfortable. Excellent location in Vieux Montreal. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We will stay here anytime that we visit Montreal in the future.

Room Tip: To cut down on noise from the street select a room that does not front the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel is in a perfect spot if you want to be in the old port of montreal. Its very nice and cozy and when you go to your room i was blown away. The bed was huge and comfy and also had a full kitchen and living room. The bathroom is gorgeous and i was very impressed. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was the nicest and fanciest free continetal breakfast i have ever seen. Very impressed its in my top ten hotels ive been too and would highly recomend. Walking distance to everything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I love this quiet, quaint, Old Montreal neighborhood hotel. The staff is wonderful and the ambience is perfect. The rooms are so comfortable and spacious. The location cannot be better as it is within walking distance of so many great Montreal sights. Even though the hotel is in a busy location, it is very quiet and peaceful, with a beautiful lobby and garden courtyard!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family